Sign in to follow this  
Top_Gunn

Stearman throttle problem

Started Flight yesterday and it began with a huge download of an update. Then flew the Stearman, and couldn't throttle back enough to stop it after landing. When I cut the throttle, the needle on the manifold pressure gauge drops to below 10, but the engine hardly slows down at all; just to land I need to pull the throttle all the way back and even then it lands a little hot. I'm using a Saitek throttle, which works fine on other sims. Using the keyboard to reduce throttle doesn't work either.

With the Saitek throttle pulled all the way back, hold the mouse cursor over the throttle handle visible in the cockpit. A tooltip should pop up giving you the exact throttle percentage. If it's not 0%, there is a problem.

The first thing to check for is duplicate axis assignments. The automatic controls setup Flight does is pretty screwy, and frequently sets several different axis controls to the same thing. This results in the different controls fighting each other, so none of them work right.

From the setup menus, make sure no other axis controls (levers, knobs, wheels, etc.) are assigned to control the throttle.

With the Saitek throttle pulled all the way back, hold the mouse cursor over the throttle handle visible in the cockpit. A tooltip should pop up giving you the exact throttle percentage. If it's not 0%, there is a problem.

The first thing to check for is duplicate axis assignments. The automatic controls setup Flight does is pretty screwy, and frequently sets several different axis controls to the same thing. This results in the different controls fighting each other, so none of them work right.

From the setup menus, make sure no other axis controls (levers, knobs, wheels, etc.) are assigned to control the throttle.

I'm also thinking he has a duplicate throttle assignment.

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Yep, must be that or miscalibration....

BTW, I do like duplicate throttle assignements in MS FLIGHT, but i do look fwd to be able to have mutiple throttle assignements....

You see, the lack of a single engine on the gliders makes me wish for many throttles to control... well, not that many - 2 will do :-)

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

If there's a tailwind, the Stearman wants to move on the ground, sometimes even with brakes on. It's a bit of a pain. I had a lot of problems with this when I first started flying the Stearman. Turn the nose into the wind and see if the Stearman still wants to move.

It's also possible there's a control problem, but check this first.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

You better pull the throttle all the way back if you wish to land. Even a tiny bit of throttle will make a tremendous difference when in ground effect.

after confirming that your throttle in the VC us actually at 0%, you need to double check that you are keeping the proper attitude for the airspeed specified in the landing checklist.

It is all about airspeed control, don't let that nose get down and the speed to pick up as you get on short final.

BTW, all the aircraft creep forward when at high power with the brakes in. It is very annoying and a holdover from FSX. I hope they fix it sometime.

Thanks everybody. It seemed somewhat better today, and I can slow it down after landing by reducing the RPMs, which is easy now that I've assigned that to the slider on the throttle. Still seems a little puzzling that this problem first appeared months after I started flying this airplane.

When I had difficulties yesterday, I was flying with the head tracker on, and it was off today. I'll try again with it on just to check on whether that was messing something up.