Sign in to follow this  
CoolP

Them fuel pumps, on or off?

Being new to the Baron, I'm scrolling through the manuals (great POH again!), looking for some differences on the actual checklists. That's from knowing the C310 for while, sort of running her based on habits now. :blush:

Now here's the first question. Why does the Baron POH state to run the aux fuel pumps off (except for high ambient temps) and the C310 goes for aux fuel pumps on (low setting)? The engines are both IO-520 M (C310) and C (E55). That's for takeoff and landing at both planes.

Not a nitpicking question, just out of curiosity. Looking for that rw pilot to sim pilot exchange.

By the way, you had a landscape format on the C310's POH, which made more sense for the diagrams. Ok, that was nitpicking.

Oh, a wish. You had some GPU for the T-38. Can we get some small one for the Baron?

I can't speak to the 310 (other than knowing that it has a far more complex fuel system setup) but the Baron is typical of most fuel injected piston planes. The electric pump is truly an auxiliary - used on high only to "charge" the lines (prime) before start or in the case of a total engine pump failure, and on low only under hot conditions for taxi/climb/landing to help guard against vapor lock.

Under normal circumstances, the engine driven pumps are all you need.

Scott

I think you are pointing in the right direction, Scott. That more complex C310 system with the aux tanks. Maybe that's the reason for the need to always have the aux pumps running (TO/land), although the fuel from the mains should reach the engine without their help and I always takeoff and land on the mains.