Sign in to follow this  
RagTag

TSA approves 25 illegal aliens to train at flight school owned by another illegal alien.

Hi all,

Well, the title is what's all over the news today. They just say that it's a Boston area flight school but I can't find which one. As a MA resident that trained, (over 30 years ago), at and flew from many of the airports in MA I'd be interested in knowing which airport was involved.

Anyone know?

Well I guess I can answer my own question now.

It apparently was at Minute Man Air Field (6B6) in Stow MA. It's privately owned and operated with two runways. A 2,770 ft asphalt one and a 1,600 dirt one. Mostly single engine GA stuff from what it looks like on Google Maps and not very many of them. It's been around 42 years and the last time I flew I was 20 or so which was 37 years ago so it was a fairly new airport then but I never flew into. I mostly stayed outside of 495 so that I didn't have to worry about the Boston TCA.

As an interesting aside one of the training service companies operating out of there is a flight simulator based one called Magenta Flight Training. To be polite their web site really stinks so I wasn't able to find out very much about them other then they exist.

The only other training available is Noble Air which operates two C172s.

I was not able to find out which company was involved in this little problem.

I didn't know that one was asked to prove legal status in the country in order to get GA flight training but I guess that is not required. Has anyone that has gotten recent flight training been asked to prove legal status?

I didn't know that one was asked to prove legal status in the country in order to get GA flight training but I guess that is not required.

Yes it's been required (for U.S. citizens) and for some years now... for sport, rec, ppl, inst & mult ratings.

Student has to provide (basically) a passport or birth certificate; and CFI has to make a logbook entry how citizenship was established.

I had to submit my passport when I began Sport Pilot training, and that was in 2006.

Guest Ps762

Hi!

I took a few training flights while on holiday in Florida. I think I took 3 or 4 in total just for fun. They said they were meant to contact the TSA and stuff with me being from out of the country but seeing as I would only be there for a couple of weeks and was only flying for fun they let me off. I'm glad they did because I had a lot of fun and they made some money and I don't think even if I wanted to be a terrorist I could have become one with such little training.

I'm not sure how it works here in the UK though for people without UK citizenship. I doubt many people would come here from abroad to learn to fly anyway as it's so expensive.

Many thanks.

Pierre

I doubt many people would come here from abroad to learn to fly anyway as it's so expensive.

Back in 1996 when I was 15 years old I did my work experience at the now defunct South East College Of Air Training (SECOAT) at Manston. I spent some time working in the accounts department filing invoices, and I remember there were more than a few African students who had run off without paying their fees!

Guest Ps762

Hi!

Back in 1996 when I was 15 years old I did my work experience at the now defunct South East College Of Air Training (SECOAT) at Manston. I spent some time working in the accounts department filing invoices, and I remember there were more than a few African students who had run off without paying their fees!

I can imagine they probably had heart attacks when the bill came. Unless you were a rich Nigerian back then it would be like "should I pay this bill or buy a house for my family back home"!

When I was taking lessons I had to pay after every flight. I think I once paid £280! Just imagine all the payware I could have bought with that!

Many thanks.

Pierre