Sign in to follow this  
Midnight Music

How often do you update navdata?

How often do you update your navdata assuming you get it from Navigraph? Its getting expensive to do it every month for all the different planes I use. Every month the FMCs remind you that your navdata is out of date. What's keeps changing in FSX? Are there magnetic shifts going on in the software at night while we sleep? It's not the real world!

:lol:

Lee

Lee H

i9 13900KF 32GB Ram 24GB RTX 4090

You don't have to update unless you fly online or offline with real charts.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Every month. I'm curious as to how it costs because you have more planes? If buying from Navigraph, you simply pay for each 'cycle', so next month you will pay for 1208, and then you get all the different downloads included in that purchase (CS, PMDG, Wilco etc). You don't pay per different developer per cycle.

Which is precisely why I will not fly online anywhere that demands current navdata...

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guys,

It's not required anywhere that you need to have current airac data while your flying online. The reason the cycle is updated monthly is so that new procedures can be added for airports while old ones can be updated or removed. It's always being adjusted to the needs of traffic at every airport. Most of the people that fly on vatsim may have payed for the more recent cycles due to the fact that they like the simulated realism of using real world procedures. Some of the payware I own have airacs that are ancient, like 5 years old. Not crucial that you update it every month unless you want to. I go through and do my less frequently flown planes like 1-2 times a year. The planes I constantly fly (PMDG feelthere) I update maybe 3 or 4 times a year. One PMDG airac cycle works on every one of their planes as well.

There are also some other features Navigraph has to offer, but I mostly use the airac service. I believe credits start about 10 euros for 100 credits. Each airac cycle costs 20 credits.

-Nathan

I dont fly online so I only update once year if that. Most of the older data still matches up pretty well with current cycles as far as the way points go with most sids/stars at a lot of airports I use.

When I do buy a cycle I use it to bring my LDS and PMDG data up to date as welll as FSBuild. However since I got the NGX last year I still have yet to update since it still works fine.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I dont fly online so I only update once year if that. Most of the older data still matches up pretty well with current cycles as far as the way points go with most sids/stars at a lot of airports I use.

When I do buy a cycle I use it to bring my LDS and PMDG data up to date as welll as FSBuild. However since I got the NGX last year I still have yet to update since it still works fine.

Exactly. I do the same. I update once a year, or once every 9 months. I don't have a particular plan or anything, I just randomly update when I think it might be nce to have fresh data again...

Benjamin van Soldt

Windows 10 64bit - i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz - ASRock Fatality K6 Z370 - EVGA GTX1070 SC 8GB VRAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200MHz - Samsung 960 Evo SSD M.2 NVMe 500GB - 2x Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB (P3Dv4/5 drive) - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 750W - Noctua DH-15S - Fractal Design Focus G (White) Case

Updating this often can result in more headaches than anything else, as you need to find updated charts. I like to decide on a date and then leave things as they are, so I'll update about every 2 years and then collect charts for that period. Only problem is when flying online eg. VATSIM, which requires the latest procedures and therefore latest navdata and charts. Otherwise it doesn't really matter.

1202 is the latest available I could find, this updates FSX/FS9 GPS default navaids.

http://precisionfsn.com/freew.html

Thanks for this by the way :)

But... please remember there is a world outside the USA, a rather large one, where most people live :P

I've never updated my Airac data, only added Nav Data for Kai Tak inorder to have SIDs and STARs available there for PMDG and iFly aircraft.

Actually I find it quite unnecessary, since most of the charts available for free or included in the manuals of some add-ons provide data that is pretty much identical to FSX's default Nav Data

Reagrds

Flo

How do you add nava data for Kai TAK please?

http://fs2crew.com/banners/Banner_FS2Crew_MJC_Supporter.png

Wayne HART