Sign in to follow this  
Fatback

OpusFSX

Stephen, 2 questions please, sorry if you already answered them before :

- Track-Ir, now that you have the SDK, will one be able to adjust the viewpoint in a similar way as with EZCA while using TIR (using keyboard shortcuts ) ?

- Weather : one of my biggest gripes with FSX/P3D and third-party weather engines is that FSX only renders the weather immediately around you :

i.e.you fly from A to B and land at C each having different weather conditions (A : scattered, B: clear C: overcast). In FSX, when at B the sky will be clear all around you, with no visible scattered clouds behind you nor overcast in front of you. Is this solved using your "theme" approach ?

Firstly, we could implement that now without the SDK but nobody has asked for that feature. So the answer would be yes but we would probably implement it as part of the future Live Camera Control interface. This interface will provide assistance to video makers, allow general users to create interesting panning camera shots, move the camera eye point around live using simple arrow keys etc. as soon as we allow the Live Camera Control Interface to run on a client computer the use of keyboard keys would probably be redundant, since you could still control the camera with FSX in full screen mode. But it wouldn't be too difficult to support both options and simply allow you to assign your own keys to the motion controls.

Secondly, yes our weather update method has completely solved this. You see the weather enroute and all around you, as far as the eye can see. It is detailed, localised (non-global) and extensive. Good enough to allow you to fly around storms like I did today in Italy. The LWE will soon to be upgraded to provide the most stable and consistent weather ever, even when crossing or flying in METAR sparse areas. The Live Weather Engine will continue to be in constant development, constantly improved and enhanced with one simple purpose, to bring you live realistic weather and even allow you to save interesting weather scenarios for recall at a later time to enjoy the experience all over again. That we have achieved now, but it will get better. We are also considering a Live Weather Assistant with a weather radar like feature.

Regards

Stephen

So with Opus, weather is visually predictable, not as with FSX where you only find out you enter a thunderstorm area once you are already inside it. If that is the case, well, wow !

You can see thunder storms (and towering cumulus) 50 miles away. I have had that experience past few days with some interesting weather in Europe. I have my cloud draw distance set to 80 miles.

Regards

Stephen

Hi Opus Software...

I just bought the software today! :)

I'm actually very impressed (although I do experience cloud reloads between updates!)

I was just wondering... Why does the weather engine favor stratus coulds in comparison to cumulus clouds?

Here's a screenshot shortly after takeoff from ESSA!

As I recall, there are 3 cloud layers here...

MET Turbulence: Strength 0 Frequency 1

MET Weather At Current Location [7,7] 1 METARS

MET QNH: 1015, Vis: 8000m, Wind: 070/6, Upper 091/42

MET Cloud Layer 1: Type 8, Base 00121m, Depth 0400m, Cover 2 octas

MET Cloud Layer 2: Type 8, Base 00213m, Depth 0400m, Cover 6 octas

MET Cloud Layer 3: Type 1, Base 13000m, Depth 1500m, Cover 3 octas

Although (as also can be seen on the picture) this isn't overcast... have you any experience how's it handle overcast situations? In other words, is overcast, overcast? 8/8 coverage?! :)

http://i45.tinypic.com/f0t645.jpg

Thanks alot!

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471

Hi Opus Software...

I just bought the software today! :)

I'm actually very impressed (although I do experience cloud reloads between updates!)

I was just wondering... Why does the weather engine favor stratus coulds in comparison to cumulus clouds?

Here's a screenshot shortly after takeoff from ESSA!

As I recall, there are 3 cloud layers here...

MET Turbulence: Strength 0 Frequency 1

MET Weather At Current Location [7,7] 1 METARS

MET QNH: 1015, Vis: 8000m, Wind: 070/6, Upper 091/42

MET Cloud Layer 1: Type 8, Base 00121m, Depth 0400m, Cover 2 octas

MET Cloud Layer 2: Type 8, Base 00213m, Depth 0400m, Cover 6 octas

MET Cloud Layer 3: Type 1, Base 13000m, Depth 1500m, Cover 3 octas

Although (as also can be seen on the picture) this isn't overcast... have you any experience how's it handle overcast situations? In other words, is overcast, overcast? 8/8 coverage?! :)

http://i45.tinypic.com/f0t645.jpg

Thanks alot!

FSX does not allow you any control over where the clouds are placed only the type, coverage, altitude, height, precipitation etc. so even if the clouds and coverage are exactly the same, FSX will reposition them all when the weather is reloaded.

The LWE gives precedence to stratus for very low lying cloud since the cloud bases of cumulus are generally a little higher. The first two cloud layers have cloud bases of 121 metres (few) and 231 metres (broken), at a guess about 370 and 700 feet AGL. Hence it made them both stratus. If the second layer had been a little higher it would have made it a cumulus.

Overcast is 8 Octars, so your lower clouds were few and broken. FSX can have trouble depicting overcast conditions but we take steps to try and achieve a proper coverage. There are plenty of pics on our website Gallery and in our LWE Flight1 forum pages showing overcast conditions.

Regards

Stephen

Very interesting - didn't know that! :)

Thanks for a great piece of software!!!

And thanks for the support!

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

4727 views...........People are interested................

Andrew Dixon
"If common sense was compulsory everyone would have it but I am afraid this is not the case"

OK so I bought it

How do I know if the weather is being downloaded, as there is no certain way to see that, as there is with AS2012 that uses a scrolling status page. Is it automatic? Always behind the scenes?

The box for use themes in the weather configurator comes back on when I open the page again even if I unchecked it

Regardless, I found it very good indeed as I saw a clear patch 20 miles up front and when i got there it was still there and I was able to descend through it. After, I looked behind me and the patch was still there 5 miles behind me. Before Opus the patch could cloud over, or everything become clear.

Hint: open the spy panel soon (from the main Opus page) wait a while and the metar will sroll through

From it I saw there are 6 vis layers, good deed !!

OK so I bought it

How do I know if the weather is being downloaded, as there is no certain way to see that, as there is with AS2012 that uses a scrolling status page. Is it automatic? Always behind the scenes?

The box for use themes in the weather configurator comes back on when I open the page again even if I unchecked it

I find the manual ambiguous with ramblings and with no intent on clarifying stupid minds like mine

Regardless, I found it very good indeed as I saw a clear patch 20 miles up front and when i got there it was still there and I was able to descend through it. After, I looked behind me and the patch was still there 5 miles behind me. Before Opus the patch could cloud over, or everything become clear.

Yes everything is automatic after you have told OpusFSX what you want in its configuration dialog. If you want, start using the Spy window, you can open it straight after running the FSXSERVER program by clicking on the Spy button in the top right-hand corner of the program's form. Of course you must be running FSX in windowed (non full screen) mode first. You should do this at least once to check everything is connecting and working OK. You will also see all the METARs being downloaded and the weather map being prepared prior to generating the new weather and updating the sim. Plenty of other info will also be displayed in the window. On long trips, try not to leave it on forever, eventually the buffers will fill, it will detect this and just stop but it's really intended as a temporary monitoring tool.

We will get round to improving and simplifying the manual in due course, but for now the upgrading of the software for our users must take precedence, I have a list of upgrades, enhancements, and new features as long as my arm but am hopeful I will get some time off for good behaviour at xmas.

Happy flying and enjoy the weather there's plenty more to come. I am already working on the next LWE upgrade.

Regards

Stephen

Ok thanks for the instant help

I did that and yes I did see the METARS this time.No need to use ALT to select enable live updates because that is how it started off I believe. The enabling is when you want to exit static or some other. Correct?

So far I like the weather depiction results, but not the manual....

But now that I know how straight forward it is I like it.

1: start FSX

2: turn on Opus Server, check the weather configuration window "if need be"

thats all?

So bottom line:

Running a single PC what benefits I'd see compared to AS2012 and/or REX Essentials?

Anybody able to colaborate?

Thanx in advance.

Ok thanks for the instant help

I did that and yes I did see the METARS this time.No need to use ALT to select enable live updates because that is how it started off I believe. The enabling is when you want to exit static or some other. Correct?

So far I like the weather depiction results, but not the manual....

But now that I know how straight forward it is I like it.

1: start FSX

2: turn on Opus Server, check the weather configuration window "if need be"

thats all?

Yes that's all.

After configuring the FSXSERVER you do not need to enable anything. The enable's are only there if you have disabled the LWE for any reason.

The step-by-step guide would be just that, run OpusFSX server, configure server, stop OpusFSX server,...

then forevermore, run FSX and load aircraft/flight, run OpusFSX, wait for weather update, go fly.

Regards

Stephen

So bottom line:

Running a single PC what benefits I'd see compared to AS2012 and/or REX Essentials?

Anybody able to colaborate?

Thanx in advance.

WOW, where do I start. Please refer to our website and read the many posts on the subject. AS uses global weather, REX weather updates completely clear the sky and load the new METARs slowly one at a time causing a lot of screen flicker. All update methods other than the special OpusFSX method will not give you real live weather just some morphed version of it. Basically, do you want to SEE the weather around you or just go by what FSX presents to you in front of your nose. Sorry I do not have any more time to elucidate further.

Regards

Stephen

I'm really absolutely amazed by this software!!!

I was sceptical at first also! But this is just amazing!

The weather all around you is there! And it stays there - when you fly towards it - then you're over it - and when you're past it! I have never experienced that, with any other weather addon!

I took a quick flight from KLAX to KLAS!

Few clouds at LAX and quite sunny... Although rough weather conditions in LAS. As I started towards Mojave desert and leaving LAX - some small patches of clouds in the distant to the left and right of me... actually I checked a satelite map from Weather.com. It was accurate! WOW! :D

Also, the satelite image clealy showed a weather system over Las Vegas...

As I approached LAS, This met me, in the distant...

xu1y1.jpg

Although the severe weather (Thunderstorms and rain) had passed LAS as I arrived, I could clearly see (and hear) the weather to the east of me moving on!

Absolutely amazing experience! :)

Thanks alot, Opus FSX for developing such a nice weather engine! :D

And for the great support!

Best regards,

Anders

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

So, thats nice

How do I do a weather prep?

Like in real life.

Go to an aviation weather forcast site for pilots

Prob would work...

will be checking it out

Plan-G v3 can read downloaded weather, so that covers Opus's range at least.

allen

In Prepar3D I get Opus spy panel errors that read:

Failed to establish link with FSUIPC

Error code 8

yet I have the latest FSUIPC, licensed. 4.85

P3D, at time of Opus's weather update, says it cannot load the dynamic weather, yet surrounding weather gets updated

I think it is just doing local? Opus lists lots of METARs

confusing, did not get that with FSX.

Just ran FSX abnd it says "Link established with FSUIPC"

yet they (FSUIPCs) were install at the same time

So, thats nice

How do I do a weather prep?

Like in real life.

Go to an aviation weather forcast site for pilots

Prob would work...

will be checking it out

Plan-G v3 can read downloaded weather, so that covers Opus's range at least.

allen

Yes, Plan G should work fine I don't think it would need an interface from OpusFSX. We will soon be developing an interface to the professional SkyDemon package used by RW pilots, please check out their website. You can also download a 30 day trial version of SkyDemon if you want to give it a go.

In Prepar3D I get errors that read:

Failed to establish link with FSUIPC

Error code 8

yet I have the latest FSUIPC, licensed.

Error code 8 means you have the wrong FS system for FSUIPC4. You must get the P3D version. If you confirm this and are still getting error 8 then I will investigate further. Have you selected P3D in the OpusFSX configuration dialog and located its installation folder. If you have not selected P3D then OpusFSX will be trying to connect for an FSX sim type!

Regards

Stephen

Error code 8 means you have the wrong FS system for FSUIPC4. You must get the P3D version. If you confirm this and are still getting error 8 then I will investigate further. Have you selected P3D in the OpusFSX configuration dialog and located its installation folder. If you have not selected P3D then OpusFSX will be trying to connect for an FSX sim type!

Regards

Stephen

yeah

That be my bad

It now reads "Link established with FSUIPC"

It should have read error code peppy197

LOL -_-