Sign in to follow this  
Fatback

OpusFSX

A sequence to show low cloud on the approach to Bristol (Thanks to UK2000 for the great EGGD scenery!)

Hi there,

You better backup your post, as Tom is likely to deep six your images, as he did with mine yesterday...arrgghh.

Great screenshots! What kind of cloud textures are you using? Is there a chance you could post your cloud texture config?

Cheers,

Jerome

Hey Jerome,

I think what your seeing with the clouds is correct. In the low level picture you are only a couple of thousand feet from the clouds so they show more detail. When you are flying at FL2XX they are much further away. You are not used to seeing it because traditional wx engines will stop showing you the low level cloud as you go higher. Well thats my theory anyway!

I'm not sure about that, the clouds below never look that strange when AS 2012 is running the weather.

Hi Jerome,

Im glad you like them. To be honest Im not 100% sure what my cloud textures are, but they are almost defiantely REX, low res. I set them up a long time ago and never bothered changing them again. How would I post my texture config. Is that allowed?

P.S. if you look at the other OPUS thread I posted some other ones.

You better backup your post, as Tom is likely to deep six your images, as he did with mine yesterday...arrgghh.

I "deep six"' 'd them because you totally disregarded our oft stated rules about images... Disregard the rules, and the amount of effort you put into breaking them will also be disregarded.

Very happy with my OpusFSX purchase today. Not much time to play around with it yet but the Beta works great with Track-IR. Nice job!

"Even Ozzy's wagging his tail again. Liam who?"

I "deep six"' 'd them because you totally disregarded our oft stated rules about images... Disregard the rules, and the amount of effort you put into breaking them will also be disregarded.

Hi Tom,

I've spent the last 20 mins looking for the apparently oft stated rules about images...and it must be really late or I'm searching wrong, I haven't found anything that might assist me in establishing which forum rule I have so zestfully broken regarding the number of images I may post?

Thanks in advance for your guidance in this matter :rolleyes:

Cheers,

Jerome

OpusFSX Version 2.12.3 Beta is now available for download on our website.

In this beta release the OpusFSX server program automatically disables the TrackIR interface whenever the Cameras dialog is opened, allowing normal camera configuration and editing with the TrackIR device. The DHM processing has been modified to improve the smoothness of the camera motions for both normal and TrackIR use. TrackIR effects must be tuned using the TrackIR smoothness setting.

People have reported that TrackIR is working but you must set TrackIR smoothness to a low value, most are setting it to zero, but on my system a setting of between 5 and 10 seems best. You will need to experiment with the TrackIR Smoothness setting on your own system and set it to a value your PC is happy with and avoids any jerky DHM movements. Use the test options within the DHM dialog to see what the DHM should look like on your system, then try taxiing up and down in windowed mode and adjust your TrackIR Smoothness until you have the optimum result.

Regards

Stephen

Awesome, thanks for the quick turn around between versions! Excellent support as usual Stephen.

You seem to have quite some technical finesse in terms of FSX knowledge -- do you think you would be able to program a multiplayer shared cabin ability (specifically with the PMDG NGX) using your window views, or is it not technically possible?

Soarbywire - Avionics Engineering

I don't think its possible to fly and operate the aircraft from more than one PC simply because that is largely down to the actual aircraft sim such as PMDG, however the PMDG 737NGX SDK is quite extensive so you never know but I would have to look into it a lot more deeply and the amount of software development may not make it cost effective.

Watch out for version 2.20 Beta with upgraded LWE available very soon.

OpusFSX Version 2.20.0 Beta is now available for download on our website.

Firstly, the version 2.20 Beta includes the new improved smooth and fluid DHM motions incorporated into previous beta version 2.12.3. in addition this version also includes a major upgrade to the Live Weather Engine (LWE).

Live Weather Engine (LWE) Upgrade ...

Extended weather horizon and dynamic weather region

The new weather engine's horizon covers an area of 992km by 992km (616 by 616 miles) centered on your aircraft's current position, at present this matches the size of the detailed weather region created by the LWE.

We have also doubled the resolution of the weather map, each weather cell now being 16km square. This provides the most accurate, detailed and stable weather possible, even when flying in METAR sparse regions such as deserts, seas and oceans. To work within the limitations of FSX/P3D, all wind smoothing has been performed using a resolution of 32km, the winds being averaged in weather cells containing more than one METAR station.

The geodesic mapping of this region ensures all ATIS reports will be accurate out to a distance of about 90km (FSX limitation not ours), but since you must be within about 35nm of the airport to receive the radio transmission that is really no limitation.

Improved weather interpolation

This version also includes the new WINTER weather interplation methods which are completely METAR centric as opposed to the previous version which interpolated the weather from the centre of the grid outwards. The new weather interpolation method should provide added stability to the weather especially within the central area where the aircraft is usually located (depends on your weather update settings).

If the weather changes drastically between updates then the most likely cause is a change in the actual METAR reports, the METAR reports are always treated as gospel but of course they can change between updates and this will always be reflected in the weather you see round you.

Regards

Stephen

Very interesting, Stephen...

What's the correct installation of the BETA version?

Should I uninstall the original version? Or can the BETA version work and co-exist with a non-BETA version installed at the same time? At a different folder?

Or, should the BETA be installed into the same folder as the non-BETA?

(Hope this makes sense...)

Looking forward to trying the BETA version!

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471

I would think that separate folders is just like separate beds...as long as the fidly parts dont see each other.... :O

Wow, just did a flight from Sydney to Canberra on the NGX with dynamic head movement enabled -- it 'feels' more realistic then ECZA -- instead of just head wobbling, I actually felt the plane moving in response to the speed, and descent rate I was going. I would go as far as saying it looks comparable to real life videos of cockpit landings I've watched on YouTube.

I have a request! Would it be possible to edit camera views while in full-screen? It makes it a bit difficult having to keep on switching to window mode when you want to make changes to your view.

Looking forward any more improvements you can make, probably the best 40 I've spent (besides REX essential textures).

Soarbywire - Avionics Engineering

Very interesting, Stephen...

What's the correct installation of the BETA version?

Should I uninstall the original version? Or can the BETA version work and co-exist with a non-BETA version installed at the same time? At a different folder?

Or, should the BETA be installed into the same folder as the non-BETA?

(Hope this makes sense...)

Looking forward to trying the BETA version!

At present you must uninstall the current version. Make sure you upgrade to the current release version 1.12.3 first. The current release version and the beta are totally compatible (have the same upgraded DAT and CAM file formats), so if you revert back to the release there will be absolutely no problem. But if you did try the beta with an older version then you would have to check and probably re-enter the settings in your Configuration and Weather dialogs thats all. Or you could simply download 1.12.3 and install that.

Eventually we will introduce a zip file format for the betas and for the release upgrades. Then you will be able to download each zip file and just extract the relevent files for one version or the other, still into the same c:\OpusFSX installation folder, but you will be able to easilly switch between the two.

To give you a heads up, the only difference between 1.12.3 and the new beta is the FSXSERVER.EXE and FSXCLIENT.EXE programs. All the libraries and other files are the same so you could just rename these files (e.g. to FSXSERVER_112.EXE etc.).

Regards

Stephen

Wow, just did a flight from Sydney to Canberra on the NGX with dynamic head movement enabled -- it 'feels' more realistic then ECZA -- instead of just head wobbling, I actually felt the plane moving in response to the speed, and descent rate I was going. I would go as far as saying it looks comparable to real life videos of cockpit landings I've watched on YouTube.

I have a request! Would it be possible to edit camera views while in full-screen? It makes it a bit difficult having to keep on switching to window mode when you want to make changes to your view.

Looking forward any more improvements you can make, probably the best 40 I've spent (besides REX essential textures).

Glad you like the improved DHM effects, we have managed to make the effects much smoother and a fluid rendition of the real-life captured 3D accelerometer data within the current release and veta versions. We have plans to improve the DHM processing even further in the future to ensure a smooth and fluid motion on even the slower FSX systems.

Yes it will be possible in one of the future releases. In addition to the Live Camera Control upgrade (please see our Flight1 forum topics 'World Views and Movie Maker' which then became 'Live Camera Control' for a description), there will be a camera editing option on a networked client system. So the Camera configuration dialog will be able to be opened on a networked client to configured the cameras on the server even whilst it is in full screen mode. A similar option will be provided for the Live Camera Control feature. Unfortunately, it is impossible to display a dialog on the same display when FSX/P3D in operating in full screen mode. For now our advise is to use windowed mode and maximise the FSX window.

Regards

Stephen

Hi Stephen,

I downloaded and installed te new version, then noticed the BEta so installed that instead. I also upgraded TIR to see OPUS. But my TIR stopped working normally: If I only want to use the weather engine I have the "enable live camera control" ticked off. Then TIR doesnt work. If I enable it then there are frequent jumps in the view point as if between two very closely located camera views, it is unuseable. I saw in the flight 1 forum about renaming the simconnect files in TIR program files but that didnt help. Then I gave up on the beta and reinstalled the latest version but it was still misbehaving. As soon as I turn off FSX server then my TIR and FSX behave perfectly together.

I just want to use the weather engine with no OPUS interference with my normal TIR. That was fine before but it seems to have changed now.