Sign in to follow this  
Fatback

OpusFSX

No and the Opus static weather themes may be removed soon now that we have the Live Weather Engine, and now provide people with the ability to save any live weather as a named static theme for later use.

My advise would be to just fly in the tropics with live weather and keep saving all the interesting weather so you can build up your own library of tropical weather scenarios. You could even swap your weather files with other people experiences. But once saved, the themes are not location specific so you could if you wish fly in the UK with true tropical weather.

Regards

Stephen

I for one was very sceptic about this addon and the communication around it. But after all, if Flight1 was the publisher ... I just wanted to see for myself and took the plunge.

I did two flights so far and I admit that I'm impressed with the weather generator. For the very first time in FS, I felt surrounded by real clouds.

Is the program near perfection yet? Not at all! Sometimes, clouds still pop in and out. There are uniform layers of fog (?) (see pictures) who don't feel natural at all. Is there a way to avoid them appearing?

I found that wind smoothing was better without any FSUIPC wind settings. But the wind stability is not rock solid yet.

If the devs follow through, I think this program will be a guaranteed winner.

I'm looking forward to future enhancements!

Jos

Hi Manny,

With OpusFSX you should get the same FPS you are getting now with your 3 monitors. I haven't noticed any change on my 3 server monitors FPS when I don't start up the client PC. As far as I can tell, running the client PC doesn't impact the FPS of the server monitors, and vice versa. The FPS you would get on a client PC with two monitors would depend upon the PC specs of the client.

OpusFSX doesn't increase or decrease FPS. You suffer the same framerate loss with each additional view you open with OpusFSX, as you would with each additional view you open in FSX without OpusFSX.

Bill

I for one was very sceptic about this addon and the communication around it. But after all, if Flight1 was the publisher ... I just wanted to see for myself and took the plunge.

I did two flights so far and I admit that I'm impressed with the weather generator. For the very first time in FS, I felt surrounded by real clouds.

Is the program near perfection yet? Not at all! Sometimes, clouds still pop in and out. There are uniform layers of fog (?) (see pictures) who don't feel natural at all. Is there a way to avoid them appearing?

I found that wind smoothing was better without any FSUIPC wind settings. But the wind stability is not rock solid yet.

If the devs follow through, I think this program will be a guaranteed winner.

I'm looking forward to future enhancements!

Jos

Have you turned off (disabled) the fog and visibility effects in REX and AS2012? The effects on the screen don't look like OpusFSX at all. Please check and make sure they are all completely disabled within REX/AS2012 and not loaded into FSX.

Let me know about the settings I will post a warning on our forum. Cheers Jos.

Regards

Stephen

Jos

What you might be seeing is the effect of setting a 128km preferred visibility and disabling the OpusFSX fog and mist effects. In which case you might end up with FSX trying to do it all itself. Let me know about your REX or AS settings, and if possibly its due to the 128km override. If it is try setting a more realistic 48km max surface vis then OpusFSX will graduate the vis up to the high level.

Just a few ideas.

Regards

Stephen

Hi Stephen,

I had the preferred visibility on the default 32 km.

I'm not sure what you mean by turning off the fog settings in REX and AS2012? I Use the REX textures and I used the AS2012 weather engine until now. But I did not use AS together with OpusFSX. So how do I turn these settings off?

Jos

Some more weather shots taken this time near Milford Sound (P3D, Orbx NZSI, HDE V2, Ant's Tecnam Eaglet )

Guess I won't be able to land there today ...

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/60090388/opus/2012-9-1_18-17-41-638.jpg

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/60090388/opus/2012-9-1_18-18-30-136.jpg

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/60090388/opus/2012-9-1_18-23-41-462.jpg

For the very first time in FS, I felt surrounded by real clouds.

I won't disagree.

KInd regards

Jean-Paul

I7 8700K / Fractal Design Celsius S24 watercooling / ASRock Z370 Extreme4 motherboard / Corsair 32GB 3200mhz DDR4 / INNO3D iChiLL GeForce GTX 1080 Ti X3 / Samsung SSD 960 EVO M.2 PCIe NVMe 500GB / Seasonic-SSR-850FX power supply / Fractal Design Define R5 Black case / AOC Q3279VWF 32″ 2560x1440 monitor / Benq GL2450 24″ 1920x1080 monitor / Track-IR 4

Hi Stephen,

I had the preferred visibility on the default 32 km.

I'm not sure what you mean by turning off the fog settings in REX and AS2012? I Use the REX textures and I used the AS2012 weather engine until now. But I did not use AS together with OpusFSX. So how do I turn these settings off?

Jos

OK thanks Jos. I think in AS2012 there are some settings that install visibility or fog effects. Even though the engine is not running these effects can cause FSX to display some strange effects. Like thick hazy layers. We had a user who corrected a problem by turning his options off. I will check and get back to you.

Regards

Stephen

I forgot to mention that I use the DX10 preview mode, which works great for me since applying the new patch (see the new dx10 forum). Could that be a possible reason for what I'm seeing? I have to say that these foggy layers also appeared in AS2012 before and also when I was still in DX9 mode.

Jos

Some more weather shots taken this time near Milford Sound (P3D, Orbx NZSI, HDE V2, Ant's Tecnam Eaglet )

Guess I won't be able to land there today ...

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/60090388/opus/2012-9-1_18-17-41-638.jpg

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/60090388/opus/2012-9-1_18-18-30-136.jpg

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/60090388/opus/2012-9-1_18-23-41-462.jpg

I won't disagree.

Hi Jean-Paul

We are really enjoying the pics here. That fog looked terrifying, I hope you had an alternate.

Would you mind if we post them on our Gallery pages.

Regards

Stephen

I forgot to mention that I use the DX10 preview mode, which works great for me since applying the new patch (see the new dx10 forum). Could that be a possible reason for what I'm seeing? I have to say that these foggy layers also appeared in AS2012 before and also when I was still in DX9 mode.

Jos

Power up your your AS2012 I'm sure there is a section relating to visibility and fog, just turn off all the options and save. I will power up my machine and see if I can find out what they were called, I have and old email describing something very similar.

Regards

Stephen

Jos,

I think that ASE and REX replace (but backup) the default cirrus_overcast03.bmp file for their custom haze. Do a search for it on your drive(s)

KInd regards

Jean-Paul

I7 8700K / Fractal Design Celsius S24 watercooling / ASRock Z370 Extreme4 motherboard / Corsair 32GB 3200mhz DDR4 / INNO3D iChiLL GeForce GTX 1080 Ti X3 / Samsung SSD 960 EVO M.2 PCIe NVMe 500GB / Seasonic-SSR-850FX power supply / Fractal Design Define R5 Black case / AOC Q3279VWF 32″ 2560x1440 monitor / Benq GL2450 24″ 1920x1080 monitor / Track-IR 4

Jos,

I think that ASE and REX replace (but backup) the default cirrus_overcast03.bmp file for their custom haze. Do a search for it on your drive(s)

Cheers Jean-Paul

Merci beaucoup.

We'll make a note of that for others and put something in our FAQs.

Regards

Stephen

Ok. I'll do as advised and report back, Stephen.

I'll reinstall the default cirrus_overcast03.bmp, Jean-Paul.

Thanks for the advice!

Jos

Did another flight in the PMDG 737 ngx after following the steps Stephen and Jean-Paul advised. Now, everything looked fine. So thank you for the advice.

I enclose a picture of my flight which will do opusFsx more right this time I think.

Jos

Oops, forgot the picture. Here you go.

Jos

I had a great time flying from Glasgow to Inverness, taking pics every few minutes to demonstrate how the weather varied along the route and how you can see the weather you are going to reach from a distance

Shortly after take off in 5k vis and climbing through the FEW and BKN I could see some clouds right on the horizon on my track. 10 minutes later (I was in Goshawk) and at FL190 I had reached them. Not only did the clouds exist but they appearred to maintain their stucture throughout as well, so I was heading for a little gap and thats what I flew through. From there I could see clear conditions at my destination, probably still 40nm away. The conditions remained like that and I landed. It was a very cool flight.

So what about the pictures?

Well I was happily pressing Print screen as I went, thinking this will really be good. Unfortunately it turns out print screen is not the key for taking pictures (that would be DCS)

Oh well you will just have to take my word for it!

Well I was happily pressing Print screen as I went, thinking this will really be good. Unfortunately it turns out print screen is not the key for taking pictures (that would be DCS)

Hello Bluepilot76,

That's really a pity; something simular happened to me once too. Now I'm using the V-keyboard key and the pictures are in the documents FSX file (or P3D)

Salu2

Fdovillamil / GCLP