Sign in to follow this  
Fatback

OpusFSX

I had a great time flying from Glasgow to Inverness, taking pics every few minutes to demonstrate how the weather varied along the route and how you can see the weather you are going to reach from a distance

Shortly after take off in 5k vis and climbing through the FEW and BKN I could see some clouds right on the horizon on my track. 10 minutes later (I was in Goshawk) and at FL190 I had reached them. Not only did the clouds exist but they appearred to maintain their stucture throughout as well, so I was heading for a little gap and thats what I flew through. From there I could see clear conditions at my destination, probably still 40nm away. The conditions remained like that and I landed. It was a very cool flight.

So what about the pictures?

Well I was happily pressing Print screen as I went, thinking this will really be good. Unfortunately it turns out print screen is not the key for taking pictures (that would be DCS)

Oh well you will just have to take my word for it!

Drat, we've missed out on that wonderful Scottish scenery as well, better luck next time.

Regards

Stephen

Hi there Stephen,

I've been following this thread over the past few weeks and this afternoon purchased OpusFSX, as my curiosity got the better of me, and also because I wanted to see if there were really any significant enhancements over the weather as I perceive it to be when I fly in Prepar3D. After my first test flight I must say that I am rather disappointed:

iw3CzXRcjN.png

H6L1K4jkep.png

N1bvn7V4n9.png

saEcFRSc6l.png

YhwUPUEBaj.png

srS0OXsJAw.png

zyqTSoYRiC.png

The first 4 screenshots above show me flying from KBUF towards the East Coast with OpusFSX running, with a REX Essential cloud set I made up and loaded into Prepar3D. The last 3 screenshots show the exact same location a minute or so later with the identical cloud set, but now with Active Sky 2012 running after I shutdown OpusFSX. I'm not sure what is going on in the OpusFSX weather engine, but the very weird sideways clouds do not look very realistic at all, and the general mood and atmospheric impression I got, was that OpusFSX didn't feel very realistic, visually speaking that is. I didn't experience any unusual or unrealistic wind shifts.

Screenshots 4 and 5 in particular document the drastic difference, as you can see it is the exact same location from the exact same viewing angle, yet it looks so totally different! The second screenshot also shows OpusFSX with a weird sideways cloud far in the distance.

I welcome your feedback, as OpusFSX certainly isn't going to be a keeper if this is what the weather looks like in Prepar3D using OpusFSX as a weather engine.

Cheers,

Jerome

At least you got it running. I just bought it and it will not save any of my settings and thinks I have a demo mode even though I am 40 dollars lighter in the wallet. I posted on his support forum so now I sit and wait.

Eric 

At least you got it running. I just bought it and it will not save any of my settings and thinks I have a demo mode even though I am 40 dollars lighter in the wallet. I posted on his support forum so now I sit and wait.

did you download/unwrap the right file? It has the word purchase in its filename.

al

I have a folder which contains a .key file, .lic file, proof of purchase file and the OpusFSX.exe file. Thats the one I clicked on to install.

Eric 

Just purchased OpusFSX. Works very nicely for weather management. However, I can't seem to assign a joystick button or keyboard key to the camera view selection, nor, can I get the DHM or AHM working. I use TrackIR and have ensured it is not active via the OpusFSX configuration panel and I don't start it with FSX. As for the camera view selection process, I have clicked on the joystick/key field in the camera configuration panel and it does turn red. However, it doesn't recognize any of my joystick buttons or keyboard keys.

I have reviewed the user's guide, the troubleshooting and FAQ documents, and all OpusFSX threads on AVSIM and the Flight1 OpusFSX forum. Nothing that I have found provides a solution to either problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Danny

Hi Eric

You said the OpusFSXexe file, but you probably mean the windowsinstaller ( i hope)

if you run this installer then OpusFSX will be installed in the C:\ and there you will have the OpusFSX.exe file

salu2

Fdovillamil

Joop

I have a folder which contains a .key file, .lic file, proof of purchase file and the OpusFSX.exe file. Thats the one I clicked on to install.

I start with this file" OpusFSX_Flight1_Purchase

which after e-payment unwraps I believe into C:\OpusFSX

It say you can change the drive letter but not the path therafter.

Are you sure you did not download the demo, and forgot you did, and then used it thinking its the purchase?

Hey Eric,

Well right now I'm wishing that I had spent that money on some new scenery rather than a third weather engine.......ughhhhh. I mean if OpusFSX had an edge over the other 2 I already have, then fantastic, but I'm not seeing anything truly new or spectacular right now.

Have you got FSUIPC installed as described? I had no probs here with the installation, all went smoothly....

Cheers,

Jerome

It say you can change the drive letter but not the path therafter.

Thanks man, that quote above was the key. I sent it to a custom location. Apparently that does not work. I wanted to install it under the Programs Files (x86) folder and I guess you can't. Got it sorted now with the default location.

Eric 

Hey J Zimmermann,

I actually occasionally saw stuff like that in REX or AS and have not yet seen it in Opus. Maybe you should try changing your textures or make doubly certain that all REX/AS weather engines are off. Give it a bit more time I dont think you will be disappointed.

Hey J Zimmermann,

I actually occasionally saw stuff like that in REX or AS and have not yet seen it in Opus. Maybe you should try changing your textures or make doubly certain that all REX/AS weather engines are off. Give it a bit more time I dont think you will be disappointed.

Hey whatever your name is,

I have been flightsimming for over 25 years, I'm not new to this. My PC was freshly booted with the newly installed OpusFSX, neither REX or AS 2012 had been started after booting. I don't quite see how this could be a texture problem, but I will tryout different textures over the course of the weekend, this was just a first flight and a first impression. I too have experienced similarly weird clouds with REX Esssential running as the weather engine, but never with AS 2012.

Cheers,

Jerome

Hey Jerome

I'm sorry if I insulted you some how, I was only trying to help. Good luck with your problems!

Good night

Bluepilot76

(flight simming since acorn electron, 1985?)

What's with people? Geez. When someone does try and help you bite their head off.

- Aaron

Hi there Stephen,

I've been following this thread over the past few weeks and this afternoon purchased OpusFSX, as my curiosity got the better of me, and also because I wanted to see if there were really any significant enhancements over the weather as I perceive it to be when I fly in Prepar3D. After my first test flight I must say that I am rather disappointed:

iw3CzXRcjN.png

H6L1K4jkep.png

N1bvn7V4n9.png

saEcFRSc6l.png

YhwUPUEBaj.png

srS0OXsJAw.png

zyqTSoYRiC.png

The first 4 screenshots above show me flying from KBUF towards the East Coast with OpusFSX running, with a REX Essential cloud set I made up and loaded into Prepar3D. The last 3 screenshots show the exact same location a minute or so later with the identical cloud set, but now with Active Sky 2012 running after I shutdown OpusFSX. I'm not sure what is going on in the OpusFSX weather engine, but the very weird sideways clouds do not look very realistic at all, and the general mood and atmospheric impression I got, was that OpusFSX didn't feel very realistic, visually speaking that is. I didn't experience any unusual or unrealistic wind shifts.

Screenshots 4 and 5 in particular document the drastic difference, as you can see it is the exact same location from the exact same viewing angle, yet it looks so totally different! The second screenshot also shows OpusFSX with a weird sideways cloud far in the distance.

I welcome your feedback, as OpusFSX certainly isn't going to be a keeper if this is what the weather looks like in Prepar3D using OpusFSX as a weather engine.

Cheers,

Jerome

I am not saying there are no glitches within the LWE. If you could please follow the procedure for reporting any funnies then we will be able to sort them out. No idea at first sight what that strange cloud was, but we are attempting to do alot more than other engines have ever done, and what do I say, there may be a few things I have to correct or tweak. I'm human and this is version 1 of the LWE, but I think at least it deserves the title LIVE. You should also note, that no software can actually render the clouds, we just say what cloud bases they have, what heights they rise to, what type they are, what precipitation they have etc. Perhaps there is a problem over this terrain and the cloud base I used caused the sim to produce this wierd looking effect, If so it will be corrected and I will take note of the terrain when setting the cloud bases.. I will fly the area and have a 'look see'.

If you are interested in sorting the problemm out the correct procedure is to ...

1. Immediately take a copy of your c:\OpusFSX\Themes\OpusWeather.txt file.

This file contains all the downloaded METAR repports and since our engine is more exact, I can use this to load you exact weather and fly the same flight in the exact conditions. It would also be helpful to take a quick peak at the Spy window and see waht cloud layers and depths it reports in your current weather cell.

2. Email me a copy of the OpusWeather.txt file and tell me approximately where you were flying when you saw the anomaly.

This is just about all we both need to get to the bottom of this. I ceratainly would like to know what the strange cloud effect that was. It would have been nice to have been given a chance to find out what was hapenning.

At first guess it looks like a poorly rendered mist or fog effect, a low lying status cloud that appears to be rising up instead of lying flat on the ground. That coould have been proved by simply turning off the fog and mist effects. But without the OpusWeather.txt file all I can do is fly in the same area but with the currect wearther.

Regards

Stephen