Sign in to follow this  
Fatback

OpusFSX

You can use whatever settings you desire to achieve the effect you want. Please read the note on METAR updates below for an explanation of why clouds may change irrespective of what interpolating we do. Also note that no engine has any control over the placement of clouds, or the bitmaps used to render them, and every time you update the weather FSX will reposition the clouds. Its the way FSX works and there is nothing anyone can do about it.

It's perfectly fine for you to manually decide when you want an update. We can give you varied and detailed weather but we cannot work miracles and get FSX to change its behavoir, so if you don't like any changes at all then do not update the weather. But eventually the weather you are seeing will not represent the actual conditions ... its your choice.

Also check out our Flight1 forum topic on Conditional Weather Updates that may be of interest. We are doing everything humanly possible to squeeze every last drop of reality out of FSX but please don't expect the impossible.

Also if you are concerned about the 'FSX wind shift bug' (FSX bug not OpusFSX) then check out the latest Beta. Remember you must uninstall your current version to install the beta version.

METAR Updates ...

METARs of course do change periodically, most airports will issue updated METARs half hourly at 20 past and 50 minutes past the hour. However, METARs are also issued at airports any time there is a significant change, that includes changing visibility and cloud layers. Or should I say especially any changes to cloud coverage and visibility. Other METARs are mostly reported hourly.

Hence, these reports will often contain different cloud coverage data (very usual since the cloud coverage does change frequently). During a weather update, any change in METAR will be reflected in the generated weather. Broken clouds may turn into few clouds, few to broken, clouds may disappear or appear where there were none before etc.

The LWE treats all METARs as gospel and generates the weather and clouds accordingly, so don't be too alarmed if after an update your cloud coverage thickens, diminishes, vanishes, or new cloud suddenly appears. So far all the METARS I have seen accurately reflect what is seen out of the window.

Also bear in mind the version 2.20 LWE interpolates the weather, radiating outward from every met station within the weather grid. If a met station reports broken cloud coverage, that coverage will radiate outward. If during a later update the met station is reporting just few clouds then the thick broken cloud will be replaced instantly with few clouds.

Regards

Stephen

Stephen,

If we manually force an update, does that reset the timers(time, distance) before the next automatic update?

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

"Facts Don't Care About Your Feelings" - Shapiro2024

Hi to all users of both Opus FSX and EZDOK

I have EZDOK installed already and am just curious about whether it will need to be disabled/uninstalled if using Opus FSX ie whether the two will confilct.

Cheers

Jay

Yes you can't run both at the same time, so you'd need to disable EZDOK (I think by just not running it you don't have to actually uninstall it) before using OpusFSX to control the camera views. I'm still working out which is the best one to use....

Cheers

K

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas16 3600 DDR4; RTX3090; AutoFPS; FG mod

Beta tester for: UK2000; JustFlight; VoxATC; FSReborn; //42

xaP1VAU.png

I get a heavy FPS hit just running the server on my FSX machine with no client PCs. I mean heavy hit of 60% loss of FPS, from 30 to 6 for example. I run unlimited with an external frame rate limiter. I am running 3 monitors on a 3headtogo but had great FPS before running OPUS.. Any suggestions?

Joe

Joe Porter

ngxu_banner.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Beta_Tester.jpg

You cannot be running everything correctly then.

The last measured frame rate hit, with everything active and continuously updating a single client was less than 1 fps.

We say 1 fps because we couldn't actually measure any performance drop.

Are you running the FSXSERVER and FSXCLIENT programs together on the same machine.

On standalone or single PC systems you must ONLY run the OpusFSX server program (FSXSERVER.EXE).

The FSXCLIENT program is only run on networked client systems.

Have you followed the Getting Started guide. You can now download separate guides for standalone and networked systems.

Regards

Stephen

I am only running the server and yes I followed the guide. My PC is pretty heafty now at i7 2600 and I run at a constant 30 FPS with everything pretty much maxed out and then went to OPUS and dropped significantly in weather. I have run HD clouds with AS2012 with no problems. The only thing I notice is that with OPUS the cloud coverage is significantly greater and possibly this is responsible for the huge drop in FPS.

Suggestions . .. settingss changes ?

Thanks

Joe

Joe Porter

ngxu_banner.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Beta_Tester.jpg

Try an Unlimited setting, also try reducing your cloud draw distance to 80 miles and see how it goes. The OpusFSX LWE just sets the weather, the program itself does not have any impact on FSX and dose not load or select the cloud textures. One idea, download our latest Getting Started and check your FSX settings, perhaps even use the web service described there to optimise your FSX.cfg file.

It does sound like the more detailed weather is having an effect on your system which is struggling to render the clouds etc. I think the above should help plus limit your autogen scenery etc.

Good luck. Let us know how you get on. I would think about adding more memory though, 8GB is a little light by today's standard especially for Win 7 64-bit.

Regards

Stephen

Call me stupid and colour me blonde (even though I hardly have any hair left) but if I were to invest in OpusFSX how on earth do I disable my AS2012's weather engine? I'm having a brain fart moment and simply cannot seem to find what to do inside AS2012.

Cheers.

MSI Pro Z690-A DDR4 | i5 13600KF | G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3600MHz | ASUS TUF RTX 3080 (12GB) | Samsung 980 M.2 NVMe 500GB | Samsung 980 M.2 NVMe 1TB | Samsung 850EVO 500GB | 2TB Seagate HDD | Deepcool AK500 CPU Cooler | Thrustmaster T16000M HOTAS | CH Yoke | Win 11 22H2 build | MSFS2020 |

Tony K.

Call me stupid and colour me blonde (even though I hardly have any hair left) but if I were to invest in OpusFSX how on earth do I disable my AS2012's weather engine? I'm having a brain fart moment and simply cannot seem to find what to do inside AS2012.

Just don't launch Active Sky. Open it once, set your textures that you want to use and then close it. You can even configure AS to not get the weather so you don't have to wait for the download from the server. But you just don't run AS at all when flying. That's it. Launch FSX and OpusFSX and you're set.

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

"Facts Don't Care About Your Feelings" - Shapiro2024

I wish that you could disable active sky WX input while still running it. It's quite handy to get the descent forecasts from while in flight.

Gavin Price

Hi.

I just purchased OpusFSX. I have noticed that Weather window looks different from manual and what I have got. Is it normal? (second attachment from manual)

Also. Can I create a separate view in another monitor outside FSX window?

Thank you.

I9-13900K | ASUS ROG Strix Z790-E Gaming LGA 1700 | MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 24GB | CORSAIR iCUE H150i ELITE LCD Liquid Cooler | CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 64GB (2X36) 5200MHx DDR5 | Thermaltake GF3 1650W 80+ Gold PSU | Samsung QN90C Neo QLED TV 50”

Simple answer - you have downloaded and upgraded t the latest beta version and the user manual is a little behind the times. Please read our Announcements topic on our Flight1 forum for a description of the new additions and features relating to each release and beta version. In there you will find a full description of the new Transition and Recovery Altitude options. But from your image, they have already been primed to make no difference to your system's operation (60000 feet effectively disables all wind stabilisation). You will find all you need to know on our official Flight1 support forum.

Second question - yes you need to create a Windowed View, but please read the Live Camera guide first, there are things in there you need to be aware of. After you have created it, simply select your aircraft or load your flight, undock the windowed view, size and position it, click on the 'Save Views' option (so that next time you simply need to undock it and select the Restore Views option).

Regards

Stephen

Simple answer - you have downloaded and upgraded t the latest beta version and the user manual is a little behind the times. Please read our Announcements topic on our Flight1 forum for a description of the new additions and features relating to each release and beta version. In there you will find a full description of the new Transition and Recovery Altitude options. But from your image, they have already been primed to make no difference to your system's operation (60000 feet effectively disables all wind stabilisation). You will find all you need to know on our official Flight1 support forum.

Second question - yes you need to create a Windowed View, but please read the Live Camera guide first, there are things in there you need to be aware of. After you have created it, simply select your aircraft or load your flight, undock the windowed view, size and position it, click on the 'Save Views' option (so that next time you simply need to undock it and select the Restore Views option).

Regards

Stephen

Thank you. Will do.

I9-13900K | ASUS ROG Strix Z790-E Gaming LGA 1700 | MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 24GB | CORSAIR iCUE H150i ELITE LCD Liquid Cooler | CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 64GB (2X36) 5200MHx DDR5 | Thermaltake GF3 1650W 80+ Gold PSU | Samsung QN90C Neo QLED TV 50”