Sign in to follow this  

New Northwest livery.

On April 3, 2003 Northwest Airlines will diplay our new airline livery. It has been 14 years since the last change. New look totally, a very bold change, yet less costly.We have 77 aircraft sked to painted this year, 27 of them are new deliveries. All Airlink will remain the same.Here's a general discription, the fuselage will be a metalic silver, red tail with no logo, the logo etc will be on the fuselage below first class section. I do not have a pic as of yet, but as soon as I do I will post it.If you are in MSP, DTW, or MEM, aircraft will be there on the 3rd of April.:-waveJay____________________________________________________________________

Nathan, long time no see. How ya been?:-lol Always the last to see or informed. :-lol:-waveThanks buddyJay_____________________________________________________________________

I'll miss the old livery....largely for sentimental reasons. It was under the old livery that I flew NW to Japan and to Guam eleven years ago.... The new livery looks a bit plain....

Guest Brent Hebert

I agree John. it looks like half the vertical stabilizer is missing with the logo. I can't imagine why airlines that are laying off employees can afford to repaint their aircraft.Brent Hebert

I was going to voice that thought, until I remembered that every a/c comes up for painting periodically in its life cycle. But, these livery changes cost big bucks.... Remember the NBC Logo controversy many years back? How much did that cost NBC to hire the graphics design teams? You have to assume that these airlines are paying millions to come up with these new liveries. In light of the industry layoffs, I agree that the money could be better spent...

Hi John,>You have to assume that these airlines are paying millions to come up with these new liveries. In light of the industry layoffs, I agree that the money could be better spent...http://hifi.avsim.net/activesky/images/wxrebeta.jpg

Hi All,Actually it isn't THAT big of a change to the over-all corporate "ID" of NWA....not like the last time when we lost the Meatball, the blue stripe, "Orient" and Herman and got the "dial" ("It can go to 11, which is one better than ten" (Sinal Tap)). The aircraft that recieve the new paint will be on their maintenance cycle and the NWA Newswire said it is cheaper to do.NWA is also good at having a few different paint schemes running around the World at the same time. The "World Plane" whales etc...This won't be like when UAL switched their entire corp ID when they went to the blues in a downturned economy....and remember the stir THAT caused when BA had VERY similar paint scheme (OOOOPS!).Actually, NWA got a favorable indication from some investment house...its on the NWA.com, news section.Tim_757Bring Back the "Gong"!

Guest tallpilot

Hi Tim,Sorry I didn't get to the 727 party. What's next, the pilot and flight attendent uniforms? This actually happened many,many moons ago at a union meeting. A pilot suggested that the uniform committee talk to the company about changing the pilot uniform to turtle neck sweaters and Nehru jackets. Weird bunch these pilots. lolEd Weber a.k.a tallpilot

And don't forget that the new livery looks to be cheaper in paint than the old one (less colours, less masking to be done on the fuselage, etc) and maybe weighing less too (thus saving fuel).I've heard red paint is the most expensive of all for aircraft, and NWA has a lot of red in their livery now which is greatly reduced in the new one.At least they didn't go all-white, which would have been cheapest...

Hi TPilotWhere you around for the great debate on changing the pilot's wings...now THAT was a mess. The last change I recall was the time they changed the pocket flaps and lapel size (geeezsche).Then the battle of the "logo-ties".See down the rampTim