Sign in to follow this  
kiwiflyer45

Virtavia Sale - Some Suggested Purchases

If anyone is interested in getting some outstanding addon military aircraft at 50% off, all Virtavia products are on sale at a number of different payware sites including Simmarket. Most of them are former AlphaSim aircraft and if you aren't familiar with the different products, you need to know they vary in quality from outstanding to - well - being kind - not outstanding... (If you get what I mean...) So make sure the one(s) you buy are the more recent ones as some of the older products are no longer pawyware quality

IMO, here are some great choices and at 50% you may want to snap some of these up

CH53A Stallion. (Much better instrumentation than the MH53 Pavelow IMO - I have both). I LOVE this helicopter and fly it often. The VC is superb and the flight model just feels right for a big, heavy helo.

AH64A Apache. Same standard as the CH53 but very, very tricky to fly with realism on full. (And what's the fun trying to fly something that isn't on full realism???) Great looking product and when you master flying it, you really feel like you accomplished something. As with the Stallion/Pavelow above, I recommend the A model. The D model has a glass cockpit and IMO it's not very good. But the A model instrumentation and VC are excellent

SH2 Sea Sprite. Like the Apache, a bit tricky to handle though not as hard. Some instruments in the VC are difficult to read unless you fly at a higher zoom setting than I do, (50%) but it is still an excellent VC

There are no complex systems and, due to FS limitations, you can't really simulate a realistic startup or shut down. But unless you are a really hard-core helo fanatic, you probably won't find this a problem. All have outstanding VCs and a number of clever features. And it has always been a characteristic of AlphaSim and now Virtavia aircraft - excellent FPS and outstanding external modelling. They are worth buying at the full price, so at 50% - go for it!

Maybe some others can make recommendations here as well? There are over 60 to pick from

Ian

I absolutely agree on the quality thing - it is very variable. I have most of the old Alphasim addons and just a few of the Virtavia products, but amongst the Virtavia ones on sale the Martin Mars and F-86 were both big disappointments to me being basically of freeware quality. I do however love the C-17 Globemaster III, which has been developed to a good standard and is fun to fly particularly into and out of very challenging short bush strips in tactical mode. So I would add that to your list of recommendations, although a systems fanatic might want to give it a miss - great to jump into and just fly however (like a big friendly Cessna in many ways!) and a good bargain at that price!

I would also concur with your view on the CH-53A Stallion - a great helicopter to fly but, on the subject of helicopters, I would also include the AS365 Dauphin. The MV-22 Osprey (although not of course strictly a helicopter!) is very different and fun to fly although I am not sure how close the flight dynamics are to the real world version.

As a lover of old piston engined types I can also recommend the Lockheed Hudson and the Liberator (both very good quality), the DHC-4 Caribou, also fun to fly into tight strips as a bush type aircraft and the T-6 Texan (both fairly good quality).

Am off now to get the Seasprite, on your recommendation Ian, and also the Beaufighter, which was a favourite of mine when I was a kid and used to read comics about RAF exploits! The bottom line is that there are some great bargains here if you are looking for some more unusual types to add to your hanger, all of which will be very flyable, providing you are not looking for perfection or complex systems!

Bill

Have at it Bill!! LOL I bought the F105D (very good) and the Hunter. (Disappointing though okay). The sale is on until July 27th so I will probably be heading back there before it ends. I was tempted by the C17 and may still go for it. Your point about people who want in-depth systems is right on target - these aircraft are for those times when you want to kick the tires and light the fires and just fly for the hell of it...

For those who wonder about the two I bought so far:

a. The F105D is pretty good. It's got some fun stuff to play with and on approach you will quickly find out why one of its nicknames was the "Lead Sled." If you don't keep IAS pegged at 200 knots with gear and flaps down, it will start sinking, bleeding off speed rapidly and you will find yourself lighting the burners and yanking the gear up to recover... The 2D panel is good, the VC is so-so...

b. The Hunter is okay but I was hoping for more. The VC is sharper than the F105D but it's all just rather bland. I am really glad I didn't buy it at full price, something I have been tempted to do several times....

The FS9 Sea King looks okay, but it's never impressed me enough from the screenies to buy it. But at half price, go for it! You will get the FSX version as well and that's probably significantly better.

Enjoy!

:good:

The FS9 Sea King looks okay, but it's never impressed me enough from the screenies to buy it. But at half price, go for it! You will get the FSX version as well and that's probably significantly better.

Enjoy!

:good:

Sounds good, I will try it out. By the way, can I borrow your VIP FS9 Credit Card :lol: :LMAO:

Well, dang, I completely missed this. Guess I'll keep waiting patiently to get the EA-6B.

Kyle Weber (Private Pilot, ASEL; Flight Test Engineer)
Check out my repaints and downloads, all right here on AVSIM

Hey CaptKornDog

I was torn between the A6E and EA6B and am glad I chose the A6. I really is excllent and I have pleased with it, though getting it safely abord the Enterprise has been quite a challenege..

Hi Mayia

I'm not sure you can borrow my credit card but if they ever meet they will probably get married as they have so much in common! LOL My card us currently in hiding, as the past few days I have ordered a whole new flight sysem - peddles, throttles, yoke etc. The ones I had every really old - you were probably in elementary school when I got them. They are causing a lot fo frustration so I decided to go clean sweep with all my hardware. (Except for GoFlight modules, which I can only praye will continue their so far pefect performance

Sounds good, I will try it out. By the way, can I borrow your VIP FS9 Credit Card :lol: :LMAO:

So what do you think of the Sea King??? I don't know if you have it but for me the one to beat is the alphasim Ch53A Sea Stallion

Ian

I absolutely agree on the quality thing - it is very variable. I have most of the old Alphasim addons and just a few of the Virtavia products, but amongst the Virtavia ones on sale the Martin Mars and F-86 were both big disappointments to me being basically of freeware quality. I do however love the C-17 Globemaster III, which has been developed to a good standard and is fun to fly particularly into and out of very challenging short bush strips in tactical mode. So I would add that to your list of recommendations, although a systems fanatic might want to give it a miss - great to jump into and just fly however (like a big friendly Cessna in many ways!) and a good bargain at that price!

I would also concur with your view on the CH-53A Stallion - a great helicopter to fly but, on the subject of helicopters, I would also include the AS365 Dauphin. The MV-22 Osprey (although not of course strictly a helicopter!) is very different and fun to fly although I am not sure how close the flight dynamics are to the real world version.

As a lover of old piston engined types I can also recommend the Lockheed Hudson and the Liberator (both very good quality), the DHC-4 Caribou, also fun to fly into tight strips as a bush type aircraft and the T-6 Texan (both fairly good quality).

Am off now to get the Seasprite, on your recommendation Ian, and also the Beaufighter, which was a favourite of mine when I was a kid and used to read comics about RAF exploits! The bottom line is that there are some great bargains here if you are looking for some more unusual types to add to your hanger, all of which will be very flyable, providing you are not looking for perfection or complex systems!

Bill

This is a bit random but if anyone is ever serious about producing a decent Osprey, the recenlty retired chief test pilot of Boeing helicopters is one of my best friends. He did all the intial test flights and was the first "tilt rotor" pilot to be certified by the FAA - he showed it to me the day he got it and sure enough, it said "number one.". He is, with the possible exception of Rafal, one of the nicest human beings I have ever met and man of total integrity. If he agrees to a request to help, that help will be given - on time - full and accurate - and with grace. His name is Bill Norton and he is one of my heroes and most trusted friends. (Sadly, he would say the same about me which shows his judgement is sometimes a bit impaired!) LOL