Sign in to follow this  
Jay R

Screen Shot forum fans be carefull

I pointed that out when there were complaints about the SS forum closing, and got scolded for saying that posting replies with ever more shots was not in the spirit of the rules.Hope the whiners understand now that they were the ones that caused the shutdown in the first place...

Maybe impose a moderated forum rule on the SS forum.Have someone (or a small group more likely) screen posts and replies before allowing them on, killing those that are obviously only meant to post more of the same of that one flight or to increase your number of posts.There could be an option to allow posters of known and proven integrity and maturity to be allowed to bypass the moderators (pending their approval which could be withdrawn at any time).That way you give people a real incentive to adhere to the spirit of the rule. If you don't, not only do a lot of your posts not get posted, but you have to wait a while before they appear in the first place.

I Looked Up one of BenKorns comebacks, and it states this:>You'll be pleased to know that i get out plenty....otherwise i wouldnt be a pilot...Oh, Ben, Thats quite interesting - I thought you were 13 years old ,as you mention in many of yoiur screenshot postings... ;)Happy Simming/Flying/Biking/SAiling/Spotting/Flaming/TV Watching/Sleeping !-Jay

>Maybe impose a moderated forum rule on the SS forum. >Have someone (or a small group more likely) screen posts and >replies before allowing them on, killing those that are >obviously only meant to post more of the same of that one >flight or to increase your number of posts.While this seems good on the surface, I really cannot see investing the amount of moderating overhead that it would take to turn the SS forum into a moderated forum where every post has to be approved. The forum received just as many posts as the MSFS forum which can be as much as several hundred each day. We would definitely have to have a group and they would have to work pretty steady at it. >There could be an option to allow posters of known and >proven integrity and maturity to be allowed to bypass the >moderators (pending their approval which could be withdrawn >at any time). The forum doesn't allow for this kind of customization with moderated forums, so that idea won't fly.Bottom line is if it takes this sort of moderation to make it work, we will simply revert back to what Matt has already stated. It would be easiest to just keep it closed.But thank you for at least offering some ideas. That is better than us just reading complaints about how our rules don't work and then we don't get any ideas presented. I have a feeling we are going to need to good long discussion in order to make sure the SS forum does stay around in the future because I don't like the way it was going before we closed it down.

>Ok here's my view, I think the screenshot forum is very >important for previews of upcoming a/c or paints etc. coming >second are simmers favorite shots. I for one also like to >show shots of a complete flight, while I totally agree that >there is no need for more than one shot at cruise altitude >,I dont think 5 shots are enough especially if one wants to >show off other things apart for one's a/c eg. Ai >traffic....let me think how >many......Gate,taxi,takeoff/climb,cruise,descent/approach,touchdown,taxi,gate......that's >eight........Anyone think that's too much? I agree that the forum does have a good purpose as long as everyone realizes we have very good reasons for certain rules and just because a person may not fully understand why the rule is there does not make it right to ignore the rule. I'm not saying you are, simply stating a point. I would disagree with you that posting a series of pictures of your entire flight is unneccessary. As "Bear" has already stated. that sort of posting isn't what the original spirit of the forum was about. And I really want the forum to get back to that original purpose.>I might also say that I think complete flights posts were >enjoyed by many judging by the way the posts caught >fire...LOL >BTW Scott.......I'm a very easy going guy....If you guys >want only One shot per post I have no problem with that and >I will adhere to it...I say this because your post sounds so >heavy. I guess my post was meant to sound a little heavy as I think it is about time some individuals start to wake up about how serious we are about turning the SS forum around from what it had become.>p.s BTW posting a complete flight is no joke and can be very >hard work! ..somtimes taking as long as the flight to edit >compile! No one said it was a joke and I'm sure it is still hard work to post a complete flight. Now just think how much less work would be involved in the upload and posting process if you were to just picj out 5 of your best and favorite shots to share. That's what I'm getting at.

Scott and Matt and of course Darrell,I really appreciate how you guys have handled this situation. Cool calm and IN CHARGE!! LOL...Anyway having handled my own forums (a forum for just my family to comunicate from around the world) of my own creation, I completely understand the stresses and hard work that is required to have these boards work non-stop. Hey if you ever need any help I would be glad to pitch in.Just a question about the forums as they are. When I setup my own forums I used INVISIONBOARD (www.invisionboard.com). It used Mysql and PHP. I even set it up on a small pc at home. It ran VERY fast, and was highly customizable, best of all it is FREE. Are you planning to stay with DC forums? Or are you planing to upgrade at some point?If I am being too nosy, tell me so!! LOL :-wavehttp://www.forefrontgrp.com/jayssigsmall.jpg "There is an art . . . to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss!"

>Just a question about the forums as they are. When I setup >my own forums I used INVISIONBOARD (www.invisionboard.com). >It used Mysql and PHP. I even set it up on a small pc at >home. It ran VERY fast, and was highly customizable, best >of all it is FREE. Are you planning to stay with DC forums? > Or are you planing to upgrade at some point? First, thanks for the kudos, they help more than you know in keeping our sanity. :-)As far as Invisionboard goes, I am very aware of it and I do like it. At this point, if we were to totally move away from the DCForum version, I would want to try Invisionboard. However, there is one thing DCForum does that very few others do, and that is allow for threaded topics. Most all well-developed board software only allows for linear-flat discussions. Being able to choose between both a linear and threaded discussion type is a big plus for us. The downside is a threaded web forum does hit your resources harder in my opinion. When we have the new server in place and the file library moves, we will most likely be giving the PHP/MySQL version of DCForum another test try.

No Problem!!I forgot DCscripts had a MySQL/PHP board software. Sounds good to me!!I am gonna send some funds to avsim, so we can get this new server slash NEW forum slash SS forum slash neat stuff thing rollin!! lol :-lolhttp://www.forefrontgrp.com/jayssigsmall.jpg "There is an art . . . to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss!"