Sign in to follow this  
Scatterbrain Kid

Black Hole illusion

Afraid after trying can't get any of them to work :( the one full of discs seemed like it was spinning for a moment when I first saw it but has since stayed stubbornly static!

Try moving your eyes slowly around the image.

If I remember correctly, what, or whether you see motion or imbedded images depends on each individuals 'wiring' of the brain halves - artistic side and analytical side. The optical image is processed providing a concept of spatial relationship between colors and or geometric patterns to create a visual representation of what the brain thinks it sees. If things don't quite match what your brain is trying to generate it tries to 'adjust' the image being viewed producing the illusion of motion. Everyone is wired differently which explains the great diversity of who sees what in the images. Also, the same can and does happen in the real world, usually not on such a noticeable level though.

I sincerely hope I didn't bore anyone into seeing stars, . . . . . repeat after me, . . . , they are only a illusion, only a illusion.

Mel

I sincerely hope I didn't bore anyone into seeing stars

I want more, much more! Really trying to understand because although I can never see anything in stareograms, the moving images are going like a bats out of h e double hockey sticks.

I want more, much more! Really trying to understand because although I can never see anything in stareograms, the moving images are going like a bats out of h e double hockey sticks.

Hi Stephen, pretty much the same for me; post # 14 sort of looks like dirty carpet to me. However other 'imbedded' images do work for me, mostly. What you perceive depends on so many variables that you may or may not 'get it' one day and the opposite a couple of days later. Some of the more easily changeable variables are how well rested the brain is, stress levels - adrenaline, and even ambient lighting and also the physical condition of ones eyes.

Here is a brief, I hope, little story that helps how the mind categorizes shapes and colors to create then explain things we see so we recognize the world around us. ( Starts soon after birth when we begin to focus our eyes and 'learn' mom and dads face and other people around us.)

About a week ago I was sitting out back on our patio facing east to watch the evening departures from KDTW. The aircraft are still climbing and probably at around 20,000 feet. Anyway, right about the time it became totally dark, I noticed a very faint greenish light to my southeast. I began to watch as this light darted and made impossible turns, dives and ascents. All the while covering a large portion of the sky I was able to view! For about five minutes I watched this and thinking maybe just maybe I was seeing something classifiable as a UFO. Well, it was not. In one moments time all that changed. It brightened for one second. The color was recognized immediately. The blink, although reversed, was recognized immediately. Although it was something I had never seen before, my brain took the color and brief color brightening and made sense of it. Very mundane after all, it was a lightning bug! Apparently it was deformed or injured and stayed on although dimly, all of the time until it glowed as you would expect. This was all verified when it happened to fly close enough to actually see the insect itself.

The point being that the brain is capable of taking such a small amount of input and make sense off it. Most of the moving images provide a basis for a kind of overload of info so the brain keeps playing with it and coming up with new resolutions to the visual problem - puzzle. That is one of the things that make us human, our brains determination to make sense of everything we see so it can use it for future reference - the basics of how we learn and how the brain will try to fill in the blanks if required.

Well this was not brief, . . . sorry about that! I hope at least it was somewhat interesting and please understand that this is all from faded memory from classes I had in college a very long time ago.

Best regards to all,

Mel

If I remember correctly, what, or whether you see motion or imbedded images depends on each individuals 'wiring' of the brain halves - artistic side and analytical side. The optical image is processed providing a concept of spatial relationship between colors and or geometric patterns to create a visual representation of what the brain thinks it sees. If things don't quite match what your brain is trying to generate it tries to 'adjust' the image being viewed producing the illusion of motion. Everyone is wired differently which explains the great diversity of who sees what in the images. Also, the same can and does happen in the real world, usually not on such a noticeable level though.

I sincerely hope I didn't bore anyone into seeing stars, . . . . . repeat after me, . . . , they are only a illusion, only a illusion.

Mel

You could probably apply that theory as to why some simmers are satisfied with lower frame rates then others who have to have 60 FPS to be happy.

Regards,

Dave Opper

HiFi Support Manager

Supportteam_BannerA.png

I can see movement in all 3 of the illusion thingys, much more pronounced on the turquoise wheel one though. I can also see the Happy New Year thing, but it'd be very hard to read "Happy New Year" if you didn't know what you were looking for. You have to cross your eyes, it has depth as if the sign features were carved into a glass block and the ugly confetti stuff would be glued to the back of the block so you're sort of looking through the glass at it (kaleidoscope-like). This may help, here's the image with 2 yellow dots, let your eyes relax and cross until you see 3 evenly spaced dots, at that point the image should spring out at you. The planet with the ring is right behind the yellow dots.

hny2.jpg

Jim

Guess I can't cross my eyes properly, still no go... Oh well, life goes on!

Stephen,try squinting your eyes, and looking "through" the image.

Also, try moving in and out on the image and at a certain distance the image will be clear as day!

I think the key is to focus on bringing the yellow "center" dot together, it's a bit difficult. The center dot comes together when one eye is looking directly at the left dot and the other's looking directly at the right, only you don't really realize that's what's happening.

H*ll, I can't even see it myself now, probably the difference in beer brands :smile:

H*ll, I can't even see it myself now, probably the difference in beer brands

:LMAO: :LMAO:

S- But I've never, ever been able to see what's hidden inside sterograms like the one below, despite trying for years..:)

This meaningless jumble is supposed to contain that Happy New Year image, but all i see is a hopeless jumble as usual (sniffle)

I saw my first one more than 20 years ago while I was waiting for my annual medical renewal. It was Stereogram of a Shuttle! I still remember I was shoked! :lol:

By the way they are all impressive and frankly quite scaring. Most of the time we have to rely on our eyes, even in instrument condition (to check the instruments).

It certainly can, believe your instruments!

This is a rule we should NEVER forget!

I noticed this vid on youtube, anybody know what that striped thing is on the ground on the air route from Portland to Las Vegas? If I knew its location i could see if it's on google earth-

anybody know what that striped thing is on the ground

It's a hydro dam. The stripes are concrete layers. B)

It's a hydro dam. The stripes are concrete layers. B)

Holding dirt back?

I've seen them turn the dry river beds over like this before. The moisture underneath the crust looks like this.