Sign in to follow this  
B777ER

OPUS Weather Engine....feedback?

Hi Fritz

Yes you can but I don't see why you would want to, it is very easy to set up a few camera views for yourself, has no adverse effect on your systems performance, and if you have reasonable frame rates gives you some fantastic real-life effects including the new intelligent turbulence. It is all configurable though, you use what you want to use. I've just had some brilliant cloud formations and turbulence effects flying out of EHAM a few time this morning, made the flight experience so realistic especially since its all based on totally real movements. Just don't know why anyone would not want to experience that, but there you go.

Regards

Stephen

I'll patiently wait for you to upload the newest version tonight before I make my purchase Stephen; it is reassuring that you will be building in TrackIR support. You're also very open to ideas which is fantastic. B)

Soarbywire - Avionics Engineering

Hey, Stephen,

Thanks. I'm not saying I won't try the camera stuff, I'm sure it's quite different from other programs, it's just that what I'm really interested in is good weather generation.

Thanks again,

Fritz

I bought OPUS -- first impression --

The weather engine is pretty spectacular! Beautiful beautiful clouds, they look fantastic and no more pop-ins like Active Sky or REX essential (I'm using textures from REX). Best of all, I love the KISS approach -- I don't like fiddling with all these options, I just want to fly the damn plane in the most realistic weather possible.

Weather themes! Its awesome how you can switch the weather from the console ~key and have changes automatically set-in; almost magical :)

Haven't tried the camera views yet, or the dynamic head motion, but that would be next. I'm Looking forward to any improvements the author would be able to make.

Hi OmniAtlas

Thanks for the kind words and feedback, it makes all the hard work worth while. :-)

I can assure you there will be many improvements and enhancements to come over the coming months and years.

Happy flying and many regards

Stephen & Cheryl

What I see here is a marketing failure. I will not buy a product until I am reasonably sure it will meet my expectations. Make a demo or make a good video to show us your product is worthwhile. That's it. All this chatter on the web is a waste of my valuable time.

Ed Farley

Wow...seems like a tad of an over reaction to an open and ranging discussion in a forum where one is free to read, write, or ignore so as not to waste valuable time.

Besides, the product is available in the Flight1 wrapper...if not satisfied before 30 days are up, one can get a refund. It's all good.

Wayne Klockner
United Virtual

BetaTeamB.png

What I see here is a marketing failure. I will not buy a product until I am reasonably sure it will meet my expectations. Make a demo or make a good video to show us your product is worthwhile. That's it. All this chatter on the web is a waste of my valuable time.

Ed Farley

Ed if you even bothered to go to the website you can go and download the demo version. AFAIK the weather isn't included yet but according to the authors they are planning to introduce a weather theme for the time limited version.

I'm a happy camper -- real time weather works flawlessly, it looks great, and it was a piece of cake to setup.

Ed Farley

A demo does exist fyi. If it's a waste of your time, then don't read it. It's your choice.

We are still waiting for TrackIR to get back to us and add OpusFSX to the game list.

Please check our Flight1 forum pages for details of this and the LWE upgrade.

Regards

Stephen

Some Examples (With Big Thanks to Dino for amazing Goshawk and PlayHorizon for Scotland North) :

EDIT SORRY ABOUT THE SIZE!

Hi Stephen,

I bought it yesterday and am so far pretty impressed by the depiction.

Not the flickering and jumping around of clouds you often see in FSX.

A little clarification on the user interface please: the tickbox option for Enable Weather Themes seems to be permanently ticked. As a new user to OpusFSX, this option and the Enable Live Weather option should be mutually exclusive, and the latter should be located in the Weather dialogue window with all the other options. Logically it should either be weather themes OR live weather if you see what I mean.

Where can one obtain the latest version? I used the F1 wrapper linked on your site to install.

Not weather-related but I did try to create an external aircraft camera view but was unable to; it just wouldn't switch to outside of the plane.

Thank you for this suite of tools which looks to have a very promising future. :smile:

David

Hi David,

Thanks for your comments.

For now just leave the tickbox option for Enable Weather Themes permanently enabled, it is actually about to be removed since we agree it was confusing.

You can obtain the latest version from our downloads page, http://www.opussoftware.co.uk/opusfsi/downloads.htm You can either select the Upgrade button to download the latest release version, or select the Beta button to try out our Beta with the latest mods. The downloads webpage describes the basic installation procedure. Take care not to corrupt your DAT files on any client PCs which contain your client's current configuration and operational data.

Regarding the camera view, please make sure you have specified in the OpusFSX Configuration dialogue the correct sim type FSX/P3D, and the location of the sim installation folder is correct. Also make sure you have shared the installation folder and set all necessary permissions and security to allow the OpusFSX program read and write access to your aircraft.cfg files. Before running FSX/P3D run the OpusFSX server program. Check any of your aircraft.cfg files (located in sub folders of FSX SimObjects), at the bottom of the aircraft.cfg file you should see Camera Definition 899 defined. If you do then all is well. Shutdown OpusFSX, start FSX/P3D and restart OpusFSX. If you use the S command in FSX/P3D the view should cycle around and you should see the OpusFSX external view. If that is OK then you are all ready to configure external views.

Regards

Stephen

Thanks for that info Stephen.

I have the TrackIR working now with the latest beta, but I understand it's not a good idea to use it with DHM, which would explain why it judders when both are activated! I did disable X, Y and Z in the profile.

Cheers

PS Would it be possible to disable TrackIR in Spot views?

I know the native TIR support in FSX does this but I much prefer using the hat.