Sign in to follow this  

I'm not a real-world pilot, so was wondering about this...

I know that avionics should be switched on after engine start and generator activation to avoid power surges.

But does that mean that the flight plan must always be entered on the GNS 430/530 after engine start? Is this the way it's done in real-life? BTW, I'm using the Reality XP GNS's so not using the FSX flight planner for anything else than reference.

Another question regaring the same thing - do pilots have to request engine start to flight/ground controllers? If the GNS's are the only way of tuning radios, and they need to be off (along with the entire avionics bus) for engine start, how is this done in practice? Switch on - request engine start - switch off - start engine - switch on? Or can one start the engine(s) without requesting permission from controllers?

Thanks for any input on this. :-)

The avionics on/off at startup more than anything else is dependent on the specific aircraft. It is routine to switch off, start engine(s), and then power avionics back up, but more modern aircraft have protective relays and thus in them this becomes more a precaution than a requirement. Despite that for many its a habit, and a good one. If you have witnessed what you believe is this practice when traveling on a commercial flight you are likely experiencing a transition/switch from an APU to engine start/aircraft generator power.

Per entering a flight plan in the GPS, much like an automotive or even hand-held hiking GPS, there is an internal battery backup and non-volatile memory, so as long as you save a flight plan after entering it, it should be there for you when it is powered back up. You do need to use the menu of the GPS flight plan mode to select and activate the saved flight plan.

Per ATC and startup it depends on the level of control at the airport, and then I believe in most cases it is movement of the aircraft that is controlled rather than engine start. i.e. pushback or taxi to requested airport destination.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere