Sign in to follow this  
HiFlyer

The big Carbon Cub topic

And then somebody will announce that the fuel flow must be more exact, then somebody else will announce that there simply must be skis, then somebody else will announce that anything not a jet is unacceptable....... and we will continue the previous cycle where nobody is ever satisfied with a product until the development costs far exceed any profit it could ever hope to make.

What can be the reason why MS dropped the word "simulator" from the title...

======================================================

Floats or skies for $1.99 ?

Well a quick flight, no time tonight because of working on wife's van and other stuff shows me that the deluxe cub is pretty cool. I'll really put it through its paces tomorrow but so far I'm happy.

Man I am jealous, I just hope I get time to install and fly it this weekend.

This working for a living really gets in the way at times...

Everything is sounding exciting for this release.

======================================================

Floats or skies for $1.99 ?

That's pretty much semantics. Simulator is not a black and white word with no nuance, and you get what you pay for. If people want a 10 trillion dollar Boeing simulator in their homes, then they need to yank out those credit cards and start emulating the 3d graphics market, where a single detailed model can cost hundreds or more. Since we are currently arguing heatedly over a $15 plane, I suspect that the fidelity some seem to expect is going to continue to be elusive except as labors of love by enthusiasts in dedicated niche markets.

Thus ended the golden age of flightsims. The only reason I think some of those others out there are going full gangbusters with their super-detailed planes is that they have a military audience in mind, and all the money that entails. We are just useful development bucks on the coat-tails.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Ok, i know its not the proper topic to post this...but...did you guys see the new Carbon Cub Deluxe? :Shocked:

I think it is awesome! How about you guys?

Contractual agreement to remove the appearance of competition with one of their customers, most likely.

That's pretty much semantics. Simulator is not a black and white word with no nuance, and you get what you pay for. If people want a 10 trillion dollar Boeing simulator in their homes, then they need to yank out those credit cards and start emulating the 3d graphics market, where a single detailed model can cost hundreds or more. Since we are currently arguing heatedly over a $15 plane, I suspect that the fidelity some seem to expect is going to continue to be elusive except as labors of love by enthusiasts in dedicated niche markets.

Thus ended the golden age of flightsims. The only reason I think some of those others out there are going full gangbusters with their super-detailed planes is that they have a military audience in mind, and all the money that entails. We are just useful development bucks on the coat-tails.

Now we are getting somewhere.....

Contractual agreement to remove the appearance of competition with one of their customers, most likely.

I also heard the word simulator turned people off in marketing tests.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Hey guys....first off, I really like the Cub. Thanks to Steam for releasing it on the same day.

This plane is practically a helicopter in high winds.

Is there anyone who can explain the radio/avionics master on this thing? There seem to be a few different controls....

but great scott I'm having fun flying this thing!

Hey guys....first off, I really like the Cub. Thanks to Steam for releasing it on the same day.

This plane is practically a helicopter in high winds.

Is there anyone who can explain the radio/avionics master on this thing? There seem to be a few different controls....

but great scott I'm having fun flying this thing!

I remember years ago when Orbx was telling people not to use a fast plane but to go low and slow and enjoy their scenery. I took them at their word and drifted all over the place in the FSX powered hang-glider. I think of the cub as Flights hang-glider! :P

It's also a serviceable regular glider!

Devons rig

Well if you wait for a couple of weeks they will give it away for next to nothing on Steam.

As mentioned more than once it's not the dollar value it's the lack of marketing strategy by MS.

Yup ..fabulous marketing strategy.

A complete FAILURE!

Well, if other news is true about the future of Flight, then once again, fan expectations and financial reality will have collided in the flightsim arena, leaving behind yet another dead project. The Golden age of flightsims recedes yet another step further into the dusty attic of history.

Per standard procedure, vultures should soon begin flocking to chuckle happily.

As with trolls, please do not feed!

Devons rig

People are basically saying that they would be happier if only Maule was more expensive, and that makes little sense - in rational way. Instead of being happy about having at last another DLX plane, well modeled (well, not the GPS obviously) many people are now unhappy not because it would be expensive (it is quite cheap in comparison to similar products) but because it has the same price label as Maule - it is not true that Cub would not open anything, it opens the very same thing that Maule does, so the same price should be ok, rationally, what would you expect?

It seems that we as community are far better in not buying things, then buying them even if it was only for showing support at a critical time. It is just shame...

Bought it. Like it. Something different. (Haven't flown the basic version so I can't and won't compare.) What I do like (for instance) is the new radio: it even has some (DRUM ROLL...) FEATURES!

1. When you set a VOR and have NAV enabled, you see the DME information on the left (nothing special) but when you click on the SEL button, you see the Direct to course, so the heading you need to fly to fly directly to the VOR station, without having to turn the OBS at ALL. I like that! Add or substract 180 and you also immediately know on which radial you are. Again, without having to turn the OBS knob.

2. When you press the OBS button you get a digital readout of your current OBS setting. Nice but not as nice as the SEL option.

The plane has an real high def feel over it: it looks pretty good and detailed, very sharp, but maybe that's also due to the modern appearance.

All in all it incomparable with the Maule, really... It's truly something different. Not the plane I was hoping for, let that be clear, but I am happy to have it in my hangar!

BTW This plane almost seems to take off like a heli...!!!

The functionality is impressive, got to admit. People's reports like this in-game made me re-consider, then the same-day Steam sale did it for me -- that's a little more reasonable price. Only flown it for a little while, but I like it. Pity it may be the last.

Seriously, 25% off... I was so dumb to buy all of Hawaii, Alaska and the Maule 10 days before the sale, not realising flight was on there. But this is just offensive tbh.