Sign in to follow this  
Guest georgi55

Chicago Meigs Field Dug-up---closed(?)

Hi AllIn a very strange move and another shot fired in the battle between City of Chicago and CGX, a series of trenches were dug by back-hoes across the runway at Meigs, closing the facility to air traffic. It was done Sunday night.No notice was given and there are aircraft on south ramp.No access and media is reporting the field is closed perminately.The Mayor is going to have a press conference latter this AM.Looks like a new default for next MSFS.....Tim_757

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/c...hi%2Dnews%2Dhed(Registration required for the article)...Summarizing - Large "X" 's were carved into the runway, and illuminated "X" 's mark the ends of the runway.The paper also classifies it as a mystery as to why it is happening. I am not from Chicago, never visited Chicago, don't have a pilots licence, but this ABSOLUTELY SUCKS!-Germ

Guest BrianC

Wow. Check out the "Meigs Cam" of the runway at the Friends of Meigs site. This news really caught my attention when it came up on WGN radio early this morning.At least now they've finally issued a NOTAM: 03/006 - AP CLSD 31 MAR 12:00 UNTIL UFN

Guest DNelson

I just sent an email to AOPA asking about this. I'm sure they'll have something to say.Dan

Guest SoarPics

Chicago politics...

Guest Jeff S KDTW

I emailed Phil Boyer of AOPA about it earlier this morning and about whether info would be forecoming on the AOPA website ( http://www.aopa.org/ ). This was his reply:"Our website will have everything we know up in just a few minutes ... working on it now - while gathering facts. It was the CRAZY mayor, and no one else was in on this - including the FAA. I would not plan on using MEIGS ... the website will give you a link to a webcam which shows severe runway X's cut into the pavement in several places. --Phil"Unfortunately, I had an IFR cross-country planned to Meigs in the coming weeks. Obviously, my destination will have to be modified. :-(_____________________________Jeff S. KDTWPP-ASEL

Wow. I did not follow this story very closely, but I knew that they were thinking of shutting it down. What about the airplanes still at the airport? That runway is totally destroyed.

-------------------------

Craig from KBUF

Guest FPSFREAK

I understand people being upset but man if I was you I would edit the last couple of sentences from your post. Think about the security issues right now and whats going on. Threatening a government official as it would appear from your post may not be the brightest thing to do. I do aggree that this is sneaky and low but you really need to keep certain comments in check.Just a note for your own benefit. Not flamin' ya.Bobby

Guest Tim13

Based on the webcam pics, it looks like all light piston aircraft there at the former airport site. The taxiway there is big enought to use as a makeshift runway. There are plenty of small airports here in MI where I live that have runways that are in the neighborhood of 30 to 35 feet in width, so it's not an impossible task.I'm certainly not defending the Mayor of Chicago, but if you're going to demolish the runway, then after the airport closes for the day would probably be the safest time for the work crews. I wonder what the new default field will be? Kill Devil Hills where the "first flight" monument is? Catalina Island? SEA-TAC for MS? How about OSH? Hmmmm I wonder.Tim13

I think that what's getting people so upset, including me, is that there was no prior notice given, even to the FAA. And there was supposedly an understanding that Meigs was safe for the next few years. My question is, would we care so much if it wern't the default starting a/p for MSFS?

Guest georgi55

Hey, I have and idea!Let's tear down Sears Tower too, that way we will be more safe from terrorism! :-rollThis is JUST what those terrorists want, for US people to be afraid all the timeand not live a normal life. They have succeeded their mission, at least in Chicago. ('s mayor)

1 April, Fools Day? But it's only the 31st of March...[p]