Sign in to follow this  
Kosta

How lucky am I? (HDD died)

Well, I never saw this coming.

My brand new 600GB WD started acting up yesterday evening - and before I did anything else, I took one of my external disks and ran the Acronis and backed ALL 250GB of data (FSX disk only) on it. Couple of minutes after the backup, I tried accessing the disk, filesystem reported was only RAW, only way I could restore it was reformat, but even after reformat, I couldn't put the data back, it would report errors the whole time, when trying to install FSX on it, after couple of seconds of installation some weird write access errors.

Seems that the disk is electronically bugged. Completely. Even deleting partitions and recreating them new doesn't help.

Luckily, all data is backed up, new disk from WD is already on the way (way to go WD with a warranty replacement before sending - yea, had to "freeze" 300$ on my CC, but not really an issue), and as soon as it arrives, this one is going out, new one in. One swift swap - but I gotta do it that way because my HDDs are watercooled, and each time I exchange HDD, I have to: let all water out, carefully disconnect pipes, take the HDD box out, open it, take the disk out, put new one in, put all back in place, including piping and fill the water back in. Painful if I gotta do it twice.

Even this one is bugging me out, but still, big up for WD for already new disk on the way as we speak!

Just wanted to let it out, and yet again note how important is to make backups!

Ooops. Bad luck.

But thankfully you have the backup.

WD usually have really good customer support. I've had to replace a faulty disk with them before and I really appreciated that they sent out the disk to you before you returned the faulty one.

But I'm actually still awaiting a reply from their customer service team as the plastic SATA power connector on my new 1TB disk snapped and stayed inside the connector when I unplugged it... I will chase it up once I'm back after my holiday but normally they are quick to respond.

Just wanted to let it out, and yet again note how important is to make backups!

I feel like I am always preaching this to my tech friends... Many of them fail to listen to me. They will soon realize the importance of backups once somethings goes awry.

..Like having the rain start as soon as you step inside.

I'd say you're lucky! I use a different method for backup though, everything I consider valuable gets doubled on other external drivers.

Speaking of.. I haven't refomated for exactly 1 year now :lol:

xxwAU.pngUzJYY.png

I feel like I am always preaching this to my tech friends... Many of them fail to listen to me. They will soon realize the importance of backups once somethings goes awry.

Man, I have 5 "old" HDDs which I used before as my main disks before they got replaced with more silent and bigger disks. The most important data like photos, windows, FSX is all residing there. I even got a hotswap module in front for them. But do I do backups each month? Hardly... :(

Speaking of.. I haven't refomated for exactly 1 year now :lol:

Only? I think I'm approaching my 3rd year, actually since I got the W7 Ultimate from MS as a gift, and this was in the beginning of W7.

Have been thinking couple of times about reformatting, but thinking what I would have to go through for it to work like it does today, makes me virtually puke.

Have been thinking couple of times about reformatting, but thinking what I would have to go through for it to work like it does today, makes me virtually puke.

I just did it yesterday... Wasn't too bad and I really like Windows 8!

Man, I have 5 "old" HDDs which I used before as my main disks before they got replaced with more silent and bigger disks. The most important data like photos, windows, FSX is all residing there. I even got a hotswap module in front for them. But do I do backups each month? Hardly... :(

Only? I think I'm approaching my 3rd year, actually since I got the W7 Ultimate from MS as a gift, and this was in the beginning of W7.

Ugh! don't tell me about it, FSX and it's insane install procedures and all that tweaking you have to redo.. It's been stopping me from reformating too!

xxwAU.pngUzJYY.png

Rest in Peace HDD :lol: I will light a candle at church in memory of your HD. :lol:

and all that tweaking you have to redo..

The worst thing is not FSX. I know that procedure by hand - I can install all my 250GB of FSX in two days, fully configured, and do it blindly without consulting any guide :smile:. But... when I think about the whole network setup I have, all shared folders, all programs pointing to the right folders over network, flightplan saves, system configurations, THAT is my problem. Add to that all other programs that I have, and there is a list in uninstall with 338 items as of now. I would need a month, if not longer...

Rest in Peace HDD

It's gonna get packed and sent away. And consequentially destroyed. Sorry, no resting place for it. :)

Oh btw. that email Tom sent you... mind explaining what that is (either PM or per email to AVSIM)?