Sign in to follow this  
maf

Walk around tool

Quick story short: Jumped over to FSX last year and has spent an insane amount of time tweaking, optimizing, installing different things, figuring out CTD`s and so on, so I havent really gotten to this part before now:

How do I perform a walk around in FSX?

I tried EZdok, and being the guy that I am never giving up and always reading the manual, I actually gave up this product and threw it away because:

1:It just wasnt what I was looking for (I never want angles on the outside during flight, I always remain "in the seat")

2:TrackIr, EZdok and me never became a good trio

3:Too much tweaking and twisting required to make a walk around happen.. (Did I miss the "Just press this button if you wanna do a plain walk around"-button?)

So are there any other alternatives out there? Did Active Camera get made for FSX and i missed it?

This is the final obstacle for me to overcome before FSX is complete on my pc.

Yngve Giljebrekke
ENZV NSB

If you still have EzDok, get the 1.17 beta from their forums and try the world camera. You can setup cameras outside, but like most things it will take some trial and error to set it up.

I haven't bothered with the world cam myself just yet.

EZDoc world cams are fixed in the world...not relative to your aircraft. If you fly your airplane to another airport and switch to your world view it will be exactly where you set it up. For me (right now), I just use a spot view and zoom in and use the middle mouse button to 'walk around'. It's not perfect. I suppose you could set up several EZDoc external views for an airplane (middle column), though, at critical places and switch between them. Haven't tried it.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

I do like Bob, but since he is an "aircraft" in himself, hes not usable for doing a walk around (for example of the NGX or a C172 simply because you cant have both, its only one or the other). Orbx made him for a single reason, and that was to make it easier to get around their airports without too much fuzz.

I haven't bothered with the world cam myself just yet.

I did try that, but it was too difficult to actually adapt to a useful walk around situation on the tarmac due to the fact that:

EZDoc world cams are fixed in the world...not relative to your aircraft. If you fly your airplane to another airport and switch to your world view it will be exactly where you set it up

I suppose you could set up several EZDoc external views for an airplane (middle column), though, at critical places and switch between them. Haven't tried it.

It is a good idea, but it does require tweaking and what not. Im just not into that. I just want a simple type of walking around the perimeter of my aircrafts like Active Camera was for FS9.

Yngve Giljebrekke
ENZV NSB

I do like Bob, but since he is an "aircraft" in himself, hes not usable for doing a walk around (for example of the NGX or a C172 simply because you cant have both, its only one or the other). Orbx made him for a single reason, and that was to make it easier to get around their airports without too much fuzz.

I see. Just for fun I tried using the SDK Traffic Toolbox Explorer to spawn Bob as an AI airplane with user input enabled and then flew him around my airplane that way (slew works as well). It's actually my first time using Bob and I had a hard time controlling him well enough to do a walkaround so I guess it's still not a great solution.

Barry Friedman

Why can't you just turn on edit mode in EZDOK with an external camera, and move the camera around the plane during edit mode?

When you're done, "set" the camera position where you started from.

From that point on you it will always be in the last place you set it.

Only thing you have to put up with is the "ding...ding...ding" telling you you're in edit mode.

I see. Just for fun I tried using the SDK Traffic Toolbox Explorer to spawn Bob as an AI airplane with user input enabled and then flew him around my airplane that way (slew works as well). It's actually my first time using Bob and I had a hard time controlling him well enough to do a walkaround so I guess it's still not a great solution.

Wow! Even so I admire your creativity!

Why can't you just turn on edit mode in EZDOK with an external camera, and move the camera around the plane during edit mode?

When you're done, "set" the camera position where you started from.

From that point on you it will always be in the last place you set it.

Only thing you have to put up with is the "ding...ding...ding" telling you you're in edit mode.

That did work to a degree, and except for that ding ding ding it was ok. However, my problem with EZdok was that Me and it never became good pals due to it

bugging trackIr on and on. I spent a great deal of time reading and learning, trying to figure out why my head was jumping and why it was useless

to view the aircraft from the outside, but in the end, uninstalling EZdok made all those problems go away, and then I gave it up. I like TrackIr better.

hey! Thank you! I never heard of that one

Feel free to ask any question.

If you ever had active camera, is this better or worse? Any interference with TrackIR?

Folks, thank you for the help! I appreciate it.

Yngve Giljebrekke
ENZV NSB

Maf, reading your story it reminds me of mine. I also wanted just simple tool to do walk around and do some screenshots. When I was on FS9 the "DBS Walk&Follow" was my perfect solution. Clean, simple and working tool. But since I moved to FSX I still can't find the best tool for me. DBS also is made to work in FSX but it gives me CTD when use it. I tried EZDOK, but it's way too complex. I mean too many setings that I'm not going to use it.

So I recommend DBS, but for me it gives me CTD. Let others say.

I've never used active camera. I thnk walk and follow is great for what it is. It's definately easy to pan and zoom into any angle you want both outside and inside the aircraft. I'm sure that I don't use it to its fullest ability.