Sign in to follow this  
Ben Cap

Windows 8 and FSX

Hi everyone,

I am just dropping in to report on my findings with FSX running in the Windows 8 environment. I decided to take the initiative and spend most of my day installing Windows 8 and getting FSX setup in this new OS.

Overall, FSX seems to behave similarly and doesn't have any issues cooperating in the new Metro environment. One thing that I also immediately noticed was that FSX starts much more quickly than it did in the Windows 7 environment. Keep in mind that I do have almost all of my regular addons installed at this point.

Also, when moving from windowed mode to full-screen, FSX seems to be more responsive in this regard. The sim also seems to be a bit less choppy and seems to be more smooth as a whole.

One thing that instantly caught my attention were the warning dialogs that appear when you install an addon that makes an entry in the DLL.XML or the EXE.XML. The warning dialog fades in and out much more methodically. These little things are improvements in the OS that make it a much more enjoyable experience.

If you would like me to test something in regard to FSX in Win8, just drop a reply below. :smile:

I use FSX on Windows 8 too.

My problem is that whenever I try and load a flight in my 737 NGX, the game just crashes. It could be that the installation of the NGX is corrupt but I don't think it is.

I use FSX on Windows 8 too.

My problem is that whenever I try and load a flight in my 737 NGX, the game just crashes. It could be that the installation of the NGX is corrupt but I don't think it is.

Have you done a completely fresh install of Windows 8 AND a fresh install of FSX?

Have you done a completely fresh install of Windows 8 AND a fresh install of FSX?

It's as fresh install of Windows 8 and FSX but I've copied over my add-on scenery, simobjects, guages, sound and effects folders from my old PC.

It's as fresh install of Windows 8 and FSX but I've copied over my add-on scenery, simobjects, guages, sound and effects folders from my old PC.

That is likely your issue. Whenever running a fresh OS, I strongly recommend a fresh install of FSX too.

Thanks Ben - I have been looking for feedback if Win 8 has any issues with FSX. Cheers.

Keep me update if you have any issue with W8, I might install it soon (even if now I use only P3D).

Thanks Ben for sharing your impression!

Is it possible to just do an upgrade to W8 without doing a re install of FSX? That would mean a week of work for me (yuck)

• Upvote 1

Do you suppose the registry has the correct entry by just copying over and doing a new install of OS? It wiped it clean. reinstall your NGX and you'll be fine.

Is it possible to just do an upgrade to W8 without doing a re install of FSX? That would mean a week of work for me (yuck)

I attempted this and it worked..... sorta. The main issue I had was that all of my addon DLLs didn't seem to work.

For Example: If I loaded the NGX up, the gauges would not show and the plane was INOP. But after the clean FSX install, all of my issues resolved.

Hopefully MS will provide a clean migration path to W8. Following the old adage, if it ain't broke don't try to fix it. My current FSX installation is running just fine.

Bob

Agreed Bob, the prospect of reinstalling everything at this point just scares the bejesus out of me. Will wait for major hardware upgrade down the road for before Win8 for me.

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor

I have a problem with FSX!!! I fly online using SB4 and every time I connect to SB4 FSX crashes. Now, I know that if you run FSX in ADMIN mode that will not happen... but I cant get FSX to run in ADMIN mode. Every time I try it will freeze up the whole system.

I have a problem with FSX!!! I fly online using SB4 and every time I connect to SB4 FSX crashes. Now, I know that if you run FSX in ADMIN mode that will not happen... but I cant get FSX to run in ADMIN mode. Every time I try it will freeze up the whole system.

And this is related to Windows 8?