Sign in to follow this  
LHookins

Do I still buy TrackIR after the demise of Flight?

I'd just about made up my mind to get TrackIR when Microsoft pulled the plug.

I'd been flying in 1.5 and 2.0 zoom view in the cockpit, and TrackIR would have made a huge difference in the game. I have a neck and back problem that really made me reluctant to get TrackIR, but after discussing it with my therapist she said it would be a good idea (VA wouldn't pay for it though), just watch out for repetitive motion problems. I figured it would be good therapy, even if it left my neck a bit sore.

But now, I don't know if I'll have the heart to keep flying in Flight next week, or even later today. I don't think I'd use it in FSX because panning tends to have a huge impact on the performance.

I know it would dramatically improve the experience of Flight. So... do I spring for it anyway, or spend the money on a couple of boxes of cigars?

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

If you can afford it, yes. Flight still works...and is still loads of fun. I use Trackir 5 anytime I fly in Flight, or FSX. And, if I'm playing Rise of Flight I use it. The only war flying sim I don't use it in is Aces High. If my Trackir was destroyed or stolen I'd probably buy another one.

Tough call.

My initial thought, go for it if you fly other sims then they would benefit from it. It is decent in FSX, but not as good as it is in Flight, because in FSX it uses simconnect rather than Natural Point's API. It is not as smooth as it is in Flight, but that is just my perception.

If you would only use it in Flight, and not add any other sims down the road, might not be worth it for just that, especially with the unknown of how long we will be able to fly the program...

I feel the same way about Flight, as much as I love the program, I just don't have it in me just yet to launch it again after the news of yesterday. I am sure I will, but just not now.

I even forgot about the aerocache of the day until someone mentioned it on the Steam forum.

I expect to be ABLE to run Flight as long as I want. I just don't know if I'll still want to.

The only war flying sim I don't use it in is Aces High.

I remember from WarBirds that the keyboard commands for looking around let you see everything around your plane in less than a second. I don't recall them having a 3d cockpit though.

WarBirds was my last job before I retired. I remember having some amusing discussions with Roger Long, the lead artist, about things like TrackIR.

Hook

Larry Hookins

I'd just about made up my mind to get TrackIR when Microsoft pulled the plug.

I'd been flying in 1.5 and 2.0 zoom view in the cockpit, and TrackIR would have made a huge difference in the game. I have a neck and back problem that really made me reluctant to get TrackIR, but after discussing it with my therapist she said it would be a good idea (VA wouldn't pay for it though), just watch out for repetitive motion problems. I figured it would be good therapy, even if it left my neck a bit sore.

But now, I don't know if I'll have the heart to keep flying in Flight next week, or even later today. I don't think I'd use it in FSX because panning tends to have a huge impact on the performance.

I know it would dramatically improve the experience of Flight. So... do I spring for it anyway, or spend the money on a couple of boxes of cigars?

Hook

TrackIR is something anyone serious about flight simulation, or any kind of vehicle simulation, really, should try.

If you buy it directly from the manufacturer you may pay a few dollars more, but you also get a 30-day return option if you decide you don't like it or can't use it.

One you have used it, you are not going to want to fly low & slow again without it.

Hook,

TrackIR is the best add-on I ever got, and it works great with all flight simulators that I have (Flight, FSX, P3D, X-plane, DCS Warthog, Lock-on Helicopters, Wings of prey). Although with some better that others. I did not see any impact on fps, it is smoother than panning!

Once you used it you never want to go back to life without it.

I've had TrackIR for years and never noticed any impact at all in either FSX or Flight. As I said in another post, I'm going to fly Flight as my fun sim until it goes dark. I'm still enjoying it even though I'm a bit raw about what has transpired. Won't let that keep me from enjoying something I spent my hard earned cash on though.

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

I don't think I'd use it in FSX because panning tends to have a huge impact on the performance.

Hello

Just buy it, It really is a game changer.

It also has zero effect on performance in FSX and works just as well in FSX as it does in Flight!

If panning has a negative effect on performance for you in FSX there is something else wrong.

Sometimes when all in life looks dark, retail therapy is the only way forward, go for it.

keyboard commands for looking around

Yep. I do MUCH better just keeping my right hand planted on the 10-key pad, and snap view instead of pan. This works for me because I'm a lefty and fly with my left hand.

Looks like my mind is made up for me. My 6 year old CRT monitor died tonight. Ah, well. Further bulletins as events warrant.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Looks like my mind is made up for me. My 6 year old CRT monitor died tonight. Ah, well. Further bulletins as events warrant.

Hook

Ohh Hook, sometimes it not just rains, it pours.

It's not like I wasn't expecting it. I'm using an older monitor now, not as good, but I can set contrast to maximum without blurry text in the corners of the screen.

Any comments on the Viewsonic VX2453-mh LED? About $190 at Amazon. Note that I'm not getting it for the on-board speakers.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Sometimes when all in life looks dark, retail therapy is the only way forward, go for it.

Word Money%20Eyes.gif

JAKE EYRE
It's a small step from the sublime to the ridiculous...Napoleon Bonaparte
newSigBetaTeam.gif
lancairuk.jpg

Any comments on the Viewsonic VX2453-mh LED? About $190 at Amazon.

I think about any current name brand led/lcd will be a major step up for you over an older crt monitor.

Viewsonic certainly had a good name, and that is a great price.

I have two that I use, a 24" Samsung LED backlit , and a 22" Samsung LCD - I am very pleased wtih both.

Hook,

Initially I felt a subconcious need to keep my head fixed straight ahead, as if looking around would somehow "uncenter" the 12 o'clock view.

Once I got distracted with the business of flying this disappeared and it became quite natural.

Be sure to map the Pause and Recenter functions to your controller. As the experts above have said, you're probably going to Love TrackIR.

So does 'Hook' mean you were a Navy type, or maybe a pirate?

|Marv|  KMLB
Melbourne, FL, USA
FSX:SE i7700k  ?Mobo  ?Gb DDR3  ?SSD GTX1080i Win10 x64