Sign in to follow this  

I have a cunning plan.....

I do think with our combined brain-power, resources (ok, if we don't by lunches next week....) and skill we can pull this off.We should find someone to sneak onto Meigs Sunday night and re-pave the entire runway at Meigs, maybe add an ILS and make 5000' long too.We could also start the rumor that based on Tricky-Dick's move that Boeing is actively seeking to move its World HQ from downtown Chicago to.....Peotone! (For those of you not into Chicago politics, the Peotone airport is being purposed to relieve KORD congestion instead of expanding O'Hare-and would not be under the City of Chicago).Or we can really send a message. We get all the PC pilots from all over the world to fly into Chicago on the next election day. I'll pick'em up in my Pinto and stop off at a cemetery, get a few names off the tombstones and then go vote. In Chicago this is not unheard of, remember "vote early, vote often".What I think we just had here in Chicago was a lesson in "power politics".....A cruel April 1st came early this year.Tim_757

Guest SoarPics

Hi Tim,Power Politics? Me sees it more like crooked politics... or, in the case of Chicago, politics as usual.I offer this idea... aviation folks e-mail Boeing to let them know how we feel about this. And anybody who does business with a swine like Daley. Boeing is much more poilitcally sensitive than Daley and his people. No doubt the Daley gang believes they could get away with murder (and possibly have).Peotone is looking better and better...P.S. We'll use my Vega for the cemetary run... used to eat Pintos for lunch. When there were Pinto's to be found. :-lol

Good morning Baldrick :-)As usual such cunning plans have little chance of working. Paving a runway takes longer and is more expensive than crushing it, so every time you pave it the mayor can just send in the crushers again the next night until you run out of money.

Boeing has no interest in Meigs. In fact, they house their corporate fleet at KGYY...about 25 miles SW of the Loop. Gary is also being talked about as a 3rd airport alternative instead of new construction at Peotone. Look, guys, as much as the aviation community is appalled, this is a done deal, with no going back. Please see my other posting of Chicago Tribune columnist John Kass's take on Daley's power and hubris.Sherm

>>>Boeing has no interest in Meigs. In fact, they house their >corporate fleet at KGYY...about 25 miles SW of the Loop. >Gary is also being talked about as a 3rd airport alternative >instead of new construction at Peotone.Oh, there's no doubt at all that this is a boon to GYY. Fortunately for the controllers at Meigs, they work for the same company that Scott and the others do at GYY, so there's a good chance that most of 'em will be rolled right into the tower at GYY to handle the expected influx of new traffic, after their remaining duties at Meigs have concluded.Plans for expansion at GYY have been moved forward on the stove a bit, and now might even begin earlier than originally planned.

Hi Sherm, missed ya-you should join us when we have the Chicago Group monthly lunch "meeting".Just can't leave the "Boeing has no interest..." statement statement go by without comment. Be willing to bet the suppliers to Boeing who flew into CGX or the bankers who lend the airlines and Boeing money will care. Boeing's fleet may not be based at CGX (hangers? what hangers?, instrument approach?) but I would be surprised if their smaller fleet "N" numbers did not grace the ramp at CGX when the weather was nice.In my miss-spent youth (my mother thought I was a piano player in a house of ill-repute instead of corp aviation) we'd be based outta South Bend but do the dawn patrol to BEH where company was HQ'd. It really is not that unusual.Sure its a done-deal. Just like any other deal is "done" in the Windy City.we can hold out hope that it's Da Mayor's clever plan to expand Miegs, get new runways put in following the resolution current unrest and a very sharp decline in the temperature in the under-world.Tim_757

A great plan. I just bought the Garmin...ya' got a flight plan? :)Cheers,bt