Sign in to follow this  
El padrino

Flaps not up

A couple of days ago I took a flight from Rhodes (LGRP) to Athens (LGAV) and noticed that although tha plane had docked at the gate, engines were shut and we were deboarding the flaps were at position 1 (it was an Airbus) and not fully up. I think the pic says it all...

Is this something that happens commonly or they forgot about it? Personally it was the first time I saw not fully up flaps at a parked plane!

A couple of days ago I took a flight from Rhodes (LGRP) to Athens (LGAV) and noticed that although tha plane had docked at the gate, engines were shut and we were deboarding the flaps were at position 1 (it was an Airbus) and not fully up. I think the pic says it all...

Is this something that happens commonly or they forgot about it? Personally it was the first time I saw not fully up flaps at a parked plane!

It could have been forgotten on a checklist or it could have been a maintenance item for them to come check something out, or even a failure of some sort.

I can only speak for a A320 operator I know out in the Middle East....leaving the flaps in config 1 at the gate is due to a potential bleed air fault that can occur in high ambiant temps in the summer if the aircraft is left with flaps up on the ground during a turn around.

I would have to check the company FCOM again for the exact details. I'm sure there are other reason for leaving the flaps in that config.

Regards

Rob Prest

I can only speak for a A320 operator I know out in the Middle East....leaving the flaps in config 1 at the gate is due to a potential bleed air fault that can occur in high ambiant temps in the summer if the aircraft is left with flaps up on the ground during a turn around.

I would have to check the company FCOM again for the exact details. I'm sure there are other reason for leaving the flaps in that config.

Regards

That is most likely the reason. The bleed overheating everything in the summer time!

It's been 35+ all over Greece the last days, but this week I happened to take four flights (all were with Airbusses) and none of the others left their flap like this. Actually it was the same plane at Rhodes who started with flaps up and it was much warmer there as it was earlier in the noon.

Anyway it's interesting to know that there are cases where flaps stay lowered.

Cheers guys!

In the military they were leaving the flaps down to indicate "no step" zone for maintenance.

Another reason (yet military) was to help the next crew pre-flight inspection. Plus another couple of minors reason.

Hold habit die hard?

Ok, here's the info from the FCOM, this is not mandatory hence why you may not see it all the the time. As usual common sense is the key, same as cold weather ops, leaving the flaps out in heavy slush is SOP but you don't want the ground crew accidentally hitting something .

When you arrive at the gate you advise the ground crew that you will pressurize the hydraulics (with the Yellow HYD system) since the engines are not running.

On ground, hot weather conditions may cause overheating to be detected around the bleed ducts in the wings resulting in "AIR L® WING LEAK" warnings. Such warnings may be avoided during transit by keping the slats in config 1 when the OAT is above 30C.

Rob Prest

Yes, but with later serial number A320's this is no longer a requirement. You wouldn't happen to know what serial number that Aircraft was as our A320's don't require that procedure, but the oldest one we have is from 2000 and we don't have this procedure in our Ops manual... Our A321's do require this though as they're older....

Not sure what serial number it started from, but Airlines that operate both older and newer A320's just use the old procedure all around so as not to forget on one's that require it....

Ró.

Rónán O Cadhain.

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

Yes, but with later serial number A320's this is no longer a requirement. You wouldn't happen to know what serial number that Aircraft was as our A320's don't require that procedure, but the oldest one we have is from 2000 and we don't have this procedure in our Ops manual... Our A321's do require this though as they're older....

Not sure what serial number it started from, but Airlines that operate both older and newer A320's just use the old procedure all around so as not to forget on one's that require it....

Ró.

It could just be old habits if the pilot(s) used to fly the older A320s.

Yes, that happens too sometimes, no harm done by leaving them like that....

Ró.

Also, if an airline had a mix of the older and newer A320s, would they not just set the older policy regarding the OAT and flaps as opposed to only having it on the older ones, for simplification?

Also, if an airline had a mix of the older and newer A320s, would they not just set the older policy regarding the OAT and flaps as opposed to only having it on the older ones, for simplification?

Yes that is the policy at most airlines that mix I believe. The reason we don't is that it is only confined to our A321's so it's easier to define them as a separate group.

Ró.

Rónán O Cadhain.

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

Guys, let's be careful about the information you post here. I know when I was going through airline training revelation of SOP to non employees or SSI was a federal regulation. Please don't put yourself our us in the scope of a violation.