Sign in to follow this  
Seadot777

How loud is it in the actual 737?

How loud is it in the 737 cockpit? The reason i ask is because i am using these new turtle beach headphones and have no idea what to set the overall sound and bass to. Any ideas on how loud it is in the cockpit from flying to taxing is greatly appreciated.

Corey

It's louder than most jetliners. There's a fair amount of wind noise and air conditioning noise. The Stby Alt doesn't help much, either.

Normal conversation is possible, but there's enough "What's?" that most guys at my airline wear ANC headsets and run the hot mic/intercomm.

There's probably a dB number, but unless you've got something to measure it with, it won't help. How about the same level as cruising down the freeway with the A/C at a mid setting. American car. Not a quiet RR. ;)

Matt Cee

It depends also on the 737 actual model. Newer model seems less noisy than older ones. Do not take this as a rule of thumb...

Have you tried to check a video inside the cockpit?

The 737 NG is probably the most noisy flight deck for a modern airliner. Alot of NG and classic pilots wear noise cancelling headphones to prevent the loss of hearing.

The peak noise level in a NG recorded when the engines spool up from idle to take-off power which gives of 90 db, during take-off the peak rises to 98 db , while in cruise FL 350 it drops to 80 dB and finally full reverse will give you 100 dB.

These figures are considerably higher than the airbuses noise output

A320

Ground idle= 67.8 dB

Engines max power on ground= 73.4 dB

Typical climb profile =73.4 dB

Cruise FL 330 Mach .78 =70.5

If you treasure your hearing , I would advise against trying to replicate these noise levels, especial in an isolated earpiece, unless you want a hearing aid when you older , which a lot of older 737 have to have.

It depends also on the 737 actual model. Newer model seems less noisy than older ones. Do not take this as a rule of thumb...

Have you tried to check a video inside the cockpit?

No i have not checked a video but in the videos have seen its seems in some airliners it is fairly quiet.

The 737 NG is probably the most noisy flight deck for a modern airliner. Alot of NG and classic pilots wear noise cancelling headphones to prevent the loss of hearing.

The peak noise level in a NG recorded when the engines spool up from idle to take-off power which gives of 90 db, during take-off the peak rises to 98 db , while in cruise FL 350 it drops to 80 dB and finally full reverse will give you 100 dB.

A320

Ground idle= 67.8 dB

If you treasure your hearing , I would advise against trying to replicate these noise levels, especial in an isolated earpiece, unless you want a hearing aid when you older , which a lot of older 737 have to have.

thanks a lot for the info really interesting. But i do not want to loose my hearing in a simulator lol so i will have to find a appropriate volume that suits me i guess.

A320

Ground idle= 67.8 dB

I think that these DBs are from outside the aircraft (al least I hope or I would be deaf already) not within the cockpit! :lol:

Perhaps they forgot to close the windows... There's no way it gets up to 100 dB on the flight deck.

One things for sure that the 'Buses are quieter than Boeings. However like the others, i'm quite certain you wont get 100dB in an airliner cockpit.

A320

Ground idle= 67.8 dB

Yeah, we don't want THAT realisic a flightsim :)

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

If you all think that's loud try flying in a Pitts s2a, granted its an open cockpit,, but that goes up to 128dB during takeoff and up to 130 in aerobatics .

I highly doubt that sounds during full reverse hit 100 Db. If that were the case, airline pilots would have sued Boeing for hearing loss! :LMAO:

I highly doubt that sounds during full reverse hit 100 Db. If that were the case, airline pilots would have sued Boeing for hearing loss! :LMAO:

As a matter of fact, there are plenty of pilots with hearing loss from flying, my Dad knows plenty of pilots in BA who are profoundly deaf from flying the 737,707 DC-10 etc years ago and not using noise cancelling headphones, hes one of the lucky ones because he wore earplugs. He said the 757 can easily go over 90 dB at the higher speeds. The 747 hes on now isn't as bad ,but you still need to be careful.

He said the 757 can easily go over 90 dB at the higher speeds.

:o

Holy cow! I guess wearing a pair of those Bose Noise Cancelling headphones actually can save your precious ears from extensive damage from the flightdeck! :biggrin:

Just for the record, how many of these measurements, except for the Pitts s2a, are done by professionals using B & K sound level meters and how many are done by untrained individuals using the $50 meter from Radio Shack?

Dugald Walker