Sign in to follow this  
cj3737

J41 engines shut down when ever they want to...

It usually happens when im transitioning my throttles or my rpm... Im not slamming it in any direction... using a nice easy, slow push or pull on the throttles.

Most recently it has been on the transition from idle to flight on the prop pitch.

Sometimes they shut off mid flight, sometimes at the gate, sometimes on taxi to or from the parking spot.

I watch my engine gauges closely and ensure I dont exceed max limits.

I thought it may be something to do with icing conditions but I actuallu had both engines catch fire right after they shut off...egt temps were well below max.

Ive even had shut down issues when shutting off the icing switches mid flight

Has anyone else had these problems? Sometimes I get very uneventful flight but most of them have been rediculous

I also read in the tutorial that the FSX modelled turboprops are not right and this plane has some fits with this issue... any truth to that?

Help is always welcome!!

Guest BeaverDriver

This might sound nuts, but next time it happens, switch over to the default 172. Check to see where the fuel selector is set. If it's the left or right tank, that's probably the issue. I ALWAYS load the 172 first, check the fuel selector position (make sure it's in the BOTH position), then go ahead with my flight. Usually when that's happened to me, just one J41 engine or the other will shut down, but if you are on the "left" tank and there's almost no gas in it, then both will die. It's complicated, but just try it and see next time you lose your engines in the J41.

This might sound nuts, but next time it happens, switch over to the default 172. Check to see where the fuel selector is set. If it's the left or right tank, that's probably the issue. I ALWAYS load the 172 first, check the fuel selector position (make sure it's in the BOTH position), then go ahead with my flight. Usually when that's happened to me, just one J41 engine or the other will shut down, but if you are on the "left" tank and there's almost no gas in it, then both will die. It's complicated, but just try it and see next time you lose your engines in the J41.

So lemme get this straight... If the default 172 has the selector on left then it will let the engines die? How about it there is fuel in both tanks?

Doesnt make a whole lot of sense that a payware product would have glitches like this...

Did exactly like you suggested and Just tried to run it again and they both shut down when I tried to transfer the props to takeoff...

So lemme get this straight... If the default 172 has the selector on left then it will let the engines die? How about it there is fuel in both tanks?

Doesnt make a whole lot of sense that a payware product would have glitches like this...

Did exactly like you suggested and Just tried to run it again and they both shut down when I tried to transfer the props to takeoff...

Update... When I transfer my prop lever from taxi to flight on my throttle quad(saitek) it snaps the lever to feather shut off... I recalibrated everything but it still does it... any ideas?

Update... When I transfer my prop lever from taxi to flight on my throttle quad(saitek) it snaps the lever to feather shut off... I recalibrated everything but it still does it... any ideas?

First i heard having the cessna fuel tanks switches causing the js4100 engines to turn off by itself , getting back to your problem which more likely be your throttle quad set up which is causing the engines to shut down some how. Are you using a registed version of fsuipc at all and i guess you calbrated your throttle quad, sound like you got a double up keys assigned some where which is causing the engines to shut down. One way is to check in your fsx control settings to check the key combinations.

Another way to check it is to disconnect your saitek quads and fly the js4100 to see if it happens again

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

If you have a mixture lever make sure it's full rich. I think this is an FSX bug but I had a problem with engines cutting off and I noticed that it stopped once I did that. As to the feather shut off thing...dunno.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

If you have a mixture lever make sure it's full rich. I think this is an FSX bug but I had a problem with engines cutting off and I noticed that it stopped once I did that. As to the feather shut off thing...dunno.

This happens to me on other aircraft too when I don't have the mixture set to full rich. It took me forever to figure it out.

Guest BeaverDriver

I found this bug when flying the XP Lear. I would suddenly have a double engine failure even though it said I had fuel in the tanks. In addition, when I clicked off the autopilot, the Lear would have a very strong rolling tendency to the right. I paused the flight and opened to menu to see what I had for fuel (the Lear does not have a fuel selector). The right tank had what I loaded in the first place for it while the left tank was empty. On a hunch I switched directly to the 172 and looked at the fuel selector. It was in the left position, not both.

On subsequent occasions, I loaded the J41 after initially loading the 172 and went through the start procedure via the checklist as per normal (and both my throttle quadrant mixture levers were at full rich). The left engine fired perfectly, the right engine wouldn't ignite. I switched back to the 172 and found the fuel selector lever in the Left position. This has happened one more time since when I forgot to check the fuel selector position again. How the selector gets into this position is by previously flying an aircraft that has only a L or R position, no Both position. I believe the default trike has that setup.

Whether or not that would cause a double engine failure is debatable on the J41, but it certain has for me in the Lear. Generally in the J41 I can't get one of the engines started so that hasn't been an issue with me. My guess is if your mixture leavers on the Saitek were at cutoff to start, they would prevent the engine from starting at all. As for this being a glitch a payware developer would overlook? They have no control over this. This is an FSX thing, just like how turboprops try to spool themselves into the next county on start up. If PMDG could fix the latter, they would have. They may or may not even know about the former. But I can attest to it with 100% confidence that it is an issue. By the by, this has happened to me with and without FSUIPC installed, so it's not that.

First i heard having the cessna fuel tanks switches causing the js4100 engines to turn off by itself , getting back to your problem which more likely be your throttle quad set up which is causing the engines to shut down some how. Are you using a registed version of fsuipc at all and i guess you calbrated your throttle quad, sound like you got a double up keys assigned some where which is causing the engines to shut down. One way is to check in your fsx control settings to check the key combinations.

Another way to check it is to disconnect your saitek quads and fly the js4100 to see if it happens again

I only have the unregistered version right now...

I do have multiple keys to actuate the propeller axis but I messed around with them and doesnt seem to matter how many keys I use for any of it.. It still automatically snaps back to cutoff. However, Ive moved it about half way up the slide just until the CP says "condition levers taxi" and that seems to keep them from slamming backward. Guess this plane will be the same as all of them.. bad things happen until I figger out the tricks to make them run right..

That makes sense so I tried it but it didnt seem to help...

the CP says "condition levers taxi" and that seems to keep them from slamming backward.

The condition levers shouldn't be able to go all the way back unless you press the red button behind the lever. If they do go back without pressing that then there is an issue. I'd contact support.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM