Sign in to follow this  
kannwar

Attn All Orbx NZNI Owners!

Thank you Mike.

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

I might be missing something here guys, but there have always been (real) roads running through fields and buildings that are drawn in the ground textures. There is no way around that unless you use real photoscenery with hand-placed autogen. Perhaps it wasn't as obvious before.

Hi Jean-Paul et al,

Well I've finally downloaded it and went straight to Napier to check for myself. I'm pleased to report that it looked nothing like the shots with the roads through buildings that Mickel posted of Napier CBD and the roads obviously straight across fields in the Whakatu and Clive shot were there but not so obvious. However the Harbour area is just as posted. A shame because if you look at Google earth it's pretty much what's there. Just poor blending/alignment of textures? Obviously we're not going to get photoreal ..AND let's not forget that most of us prefer FTX to photreal because it's more 3 dimensional and therefore at low level "believable"?

So why the difference? My guess is that Mickel and I have different Video cards/Computers and different slider set-ups? Also having made a few flights now I started in what for NZ would be autumn. I also notice that there's not much traffic in Mickel's shots whereas I'd gone over the recommended ORBX settings for the scenery.

No criticism intended of Mickel here! In fact many thanks for being so prompt with posting screenshots!

Sadly real life is demanding my full attention at the moment so I've not had a chance to organise any screenshots but I can say that I'm pretty happy with what I've seen so far. If there is a patch though do sort out Napier Harbour. The texture is good but badly aligned and blended.

BTW pretty impressed with some of the small fields that come with the scenery as it stands.

Hope that helps and reassures some doubters. I'll try and get some screenshots up ...but don't hold your breath. Really busy right now.

Geoff

Geoff Brown

Maybe somebody should ask about that harbor ? it look sort of off, a patch would be good for it .

Hi all, I've been chatting to Mikel via pm and to help resolve his concerns I've attempted to duplicate some of the areas in his shots to (hopefully) resolve why we're (maybe) seeing some things differently and to also highlight where issues his shots displayed are, IMHO, still issues?

There seem to be a lot of "Random Roads"? The meticulous placing of the excellent 3-D buildings along various roads seems to be "corrupted" by "A.N.OTHER road texture" ploughing through the carefully prepared 3-D areas?

LETS REMEMBER guys that this is the "unofficial ORBX forum" where we can hopefully bring stuff to the creators attention without censorship? I've got all of ORBX's scenery (and a few airports) so I'm aiming this as CONSTRUCTIVE criticism.

Mikel I've uploaded my shots via the forum so there's no 3rd party server. If they look different here than they do on my computer I'll post as such.

Approaching Napier

Napier Harbour

Roads through Blocks of 3-D

A few more

Roads through Blocks

Random Roads

Napier Tower

Don't know how they do this but if it's using "Layers" (?) maybe some are in the wrong place?

STILL ...overall a pretty good job and so far ahead of basic FSX it's like a new sim.

Geoff

Geoff Brown

Hi Geoff,

This is the way the scenery is done. When they do a premium airport they do photoreal scenery with proper road placement and hand placed autogen etc. For an entire region it is way to labour intensive so they lay the ground textures and roads over top.

When you are flying along you don't really notice, in a screenshot like that it stands out but FSX is primarily meant to be flown with the scenery more peripheral vision.

-----------------------------------

Here are a few from me with real photographs I took to compare the scenery to the real thing.....

Wellington from the Wind Turbine:

001.jpg

001O.jpg

Battle Hill looking towards Porirua Harbour (This is the our Picnic Spot for my Gal and I):

002.jpg

002O.jpg

Matthew Kane

Hi Matthew,

Nice shots! I was looking to get some Google Earth Comparison screen grabs but I figured that anyone interested enough would check that out for themselves?

For a change the weather here in the UK is looking like your real shots!

I appreciate your point, but the roads must be a different layer to the field textures? Why would anyone create a field texture with a road running diagonally through it? In fact the placement of the 3-D buildings is fantastic when you consider how many square miles they have to cover. I can't understand how that effort can be "corrupted" by the apparent random placing of roads? Way before ORBX several improved texture add-ons made a point of placing Roads', Rivers and Railways correctly. The surrounding textures may have been "generic" but the thinking was that anyone flying real VFR could find their way around?

Having flown real VFR I would agree that identifying buildings takes a lot of concentration. Roads, Rivers and Railways though stick out like sore thumbs.

There's an old British Aviators joke...

"....control to golf alpha etc.etc. What flight rules are you following?"

"Golf Alpha etc.etc., IFR"

"IFR?!"

"Roger control that's IFR ....... ......I Follow Railways"

Not such a joke as early UK pilots were known to fly low enough to check out station names!

Back on NZNI.

As I said overall an impressive body of work, with which I'm pretty happy.

Geoff

Geoff Brown

Geoff,

What you call "random" "through blocks" or "another" roads are in fact the real roads (the geograpically correct ones ) which are drawn over the ground textures. The problem, just as with stock FSX ground textures or even worse, GEX textures is that they already have plenty of fake roads drawn onto them for a more photographic look and when you mix real and fake roads, it often looks strange.

You will also notice that autogen is placed so it matches the fake roads drawn in the ground textures and not the real roads which are placed above them. The problem is the same for the rural and field textures.

What you see is not a bug. It is just a limitation of landclass based scenery.

KInd regards

Jean-Paul

I7 8700K / Fractal Design Celsius S24 watercooling / ASRock Z370 Extreme4 motherboard / Corsair 32GB 3200mhz DDR4 / INNO3D iChiLL GeForce GTX 1080 Ti X3 / Samsung SSD 960 EVO M.2 PCIe NVMe 500GB / Seasonic-SSR-850FX power supply / Fractal Design Define R5 Black case / AOC Q3279VWF 32″ 2560x1440 monitor / Benq GL2450 24″ 1920x1080 monitor / Track-IR 4

Hi Jean-Paul,

Well closer examination of Google earth and I can see that you're of course right. I guess it's a credit to the developer that their fictional creations look so convincing?

From a technical view point the landlass textures are pretty convincing too? Closer study suggests that the orientation of them is the issue. Can this be altered? ...and if so in what sort of areas for each texture? 1sq mile, 5sq mile, 10sq mile....?

Closer examination of the real Napier CBD shows that the orientation of the blocks is in line with the real roads whereas in the scenery its in line with the shore so you see why I'm asking.

Obviously there will be areas where such conflicts will be less obvious and the scenery is not photoreal, but if tweaks are possible then perhaps more beta testing would help? I know through my own involvement with Train Simulator routes that beta testing is vital to find bugs that are easily missed when development efforts are focused elsewhere?

Geoff

Geoff Brown

it's not a bug though. as was said above it's a fact of life with landclass based scenery. ORBX can't possibly create a suburban landclass texture that will work perfectly in all areas of their regions. ORBX DOES make the largest variety of textures that they can, and spends an impressive amount of time trying to make them fit the landscape, that's what they refer to as "hand placed landclass" their land class is much more complicated than you see with products like scenery tech for example. but literally unless they provide high detail photoreal for EVERY small town and city, and then color match it to the other terrain, and provide seasonal variations, they can't do what you're asking. The other thing they could potentially do is just alter the roads to match the approximated landclass scenery, but that wouldn't be acceptable either. I think if you take a hard look at all of their other regions you will see similar areas. it's just an unavoidable problem.

Sadly I probably won't be terribly happy with the Napier rendition here - I know I'm being overly picky but it's easy to do when you have lived there 14 years of your life!

Very disappointing to see how sparse the Marine Parade and that it is missing key landmarks like the Aquarium and the Dome. Also can't see the old derelict hospital on Bluff Hill which is recognizable from just about anywhere in the vicinity of Napier. Flying around this just wouldn't do it for me but I understand the effort it would take to do this in high detail wouldn't be feasible for a city no one in the grand scheme of things gives two tosses about. Still much better than default!

Is there any airports coming out for NZ south or North from Orbx, I would have thought if there was for south they would be out by now?

As Mike mentioned it sounds like Queenstown and Milford Sound are works in progress, that'll be great to see from Orbx, Queenstown in particular has been crying out for an FSX airport for some time.

Regarding the NZNI airports do take a look at the two payware (only $5us) sceneries from fs-creations for the Hamilton and Taupo airports. Very nicely done, fabulous places to fly into, and are both compatible with Orbx NZNI with a free patch from the vendor:

see: http://www.fs-creati...re-Scenerys.php

Dean Stringer

I'm torn between a more accurate representation of the airports and losing the people flow thing. I haven't quite been able to tear myself away from the latter. Do you know if there are any screenies of their version of Hamilton?

I'm torn between a more accurate representation of the airports and losing the people flow thing. I haven't quite been able to tear myself away from the latter. Do you know if there are any screenies of their version of Hamilton?

http://www.fs-creations.org/Photo-Album.php?currDir=.&pageType=imageℑ=enlk4akk09_.jpg&startFrom=1

Geoff

Geoff Brown

Hmmmmm.......what's the deal with that?

You normally don't get the roads running through textures like that with FTX products.

Agree, it looks horrible, NOT like OrbX at all, more like UTX/GEX and their conflicts with the default scenery tile borders, this is really a disappointment.

Agree, it looks horrible, NOT like OrbX at all, more like UTX/GEX and their conflicts with the default scenery tile borders, this is really a disappointment.

I agree with what others already said: roads going right through buildings and fields and everything is normal for landclass addons and it's like that in ALL FTX regions! It doesn't look good indeed but this is how it is and how it will always be with large regions... It's the biggest problem with landclass scenery imho. However, flat photoreal looks even worse so... we'll have to live with it until hardware is advanced enough to enable full blown regions with addon airport quality. (And even those addon airport addons don't even come CLOSE to what I once hope to see during my lifetime: the real world on my pc! :wink: )