Sign in to follow this  
anthonyrm1

FS2004 screen resolution test

I am considering an upgrade from my 20" monitor to a 24". The resolution of my 20" monitor is 1680x1050 but a 24" would have a higher resolution. Is there a way to increase my current screen resolution to 1900x1200 in FS2004 to test what the performance impact would be before I buy a new monitor?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks

I believe the option will be automatically, taken from windows.

So adding a bigger screen will show up in the FS2004 choices.

You have almost the same specs as my old system. It will run fine at the res.

Rob Prest

I am considering an upgrade from my 20" monitor to a 24". The resolution of my 20" monitor is 1680x1050 but a 24" would have a higher resolution. Is there a way to increase my current screen resolution to 1900x1200 in FS2004 to test what the performance impact would be before I buy a new monitor?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks

You can't increase the resolution of your current monitor beyond its highest resolution since it has a fixed number of pixels. But rest assured the image will be fine. I've been running FS9 at 1920*1200 on a Dell for a few years now and the IQ is stunning.

It's worthwhile investing in a quality display as it will outlive your system by many years. Have a look at PC reviews to see what comes out best.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Thanks for your replies guys. I really dont want to see a reduction in performance with a larger screen at higher resolution than my current system, I am looking at upgrading my GPU to a GTX 560 ti as I've been told thatll help some of my textures load more quickly.

anthonyrm1,

I don't think you need worry about texture loading times. I'm running FS9 with a relatively old 8800GTX with 768Mb.

See how things work with the 8800GX and take it from there.

Incidentally, there is a new forum rule requiring you to show your system spec in My PC Specifications under your profile and not in your sig.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Sorry I will update my profile tomorrow. I'm having issues currently with some textures being slow to load when there's a lot of clouds and AI about (though FPS is not always affected)

Then it does sound like a graphics card upgrade might help. A 2Gb GTX560 is only 30UKP more than the 1Gb version. Probably even less in the US.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I'm wondering whether my PSU would be capable of handling anything thats 2GB though? And whether it would be overkill for fs2004? (I've no real intentions to upgrade to FSX as I cant afford a supercomputer!)

Ps my PSU is Quiet Coolermaster 460Watt Dual 12V Rail PSU

Good point. Ask the question in the Monitors, Video Cards and Drivers forum. 1Gb is probably sufficient if you don't intend switching to FSX.

Incidentally, it's useful to know where you live in the world when recommending hardware.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

All updated in my profile, many thanks.

I will investigate whether I can get a GTX 560 Ti for a good price somewhere and hope that my CPU and PSU is sufficient if I'm going to start pushing FS2004 a little more on a bigger screen

All updated in my profile, many thanks.

I will investigate whether I can get a GTX 560 Ti for a good price somewhere and hope that my CPU and PSU is sufficient if I'm going to start pushing FS2004 a little more on a bigger screen

Why don't you consider a 27"?

I have been fortunate to have had one of these for a few years now and it's absolutely awesome (looking at getting another 2)

;-)

Flight Simulator - MSFS2020 | Operating System - WIN 10 Pro |  HDD - 1 x Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVME M.2 (OS) - 1 x WD Blue 1TB NVME M.2 (Software) - 1 x WD Blue (SMR) 2TB 3.5 SATA (Storage) | Main Board - MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK | CPU - AMD Ryzen 7, 5800X (3.8Ghz) Un-clocked | RAM - 64GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo RGB DDR4 3600Mhz | Video Card - MSI GeForce RTX 3080 Gaming X TRIO 10GB Monitor - SAMSUNG 49" LC49RG90 ULTRAWIDE | VR Headset - HP Reverb G2 |  Case - Corsair 5000D Airflow | CPU Cooling - Corsair ICUE H115i Elite Cappelix 280MM | Power Supply - Gigabyte AORUS AP850GM 850W 
Controls - Honeycomb Alpha Yoke & Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Quadrant + Thrustmaster TCA Sidestick Airbus Edition + CH Products Pro Pedals 

f70zmw-6.png

Word of advice regarding a GPU, if you plan to remain on a 32 bit platform don't get anything larger then a 512 mb card, 1gig max. you will see a reduction in performance if you get anything larger.

Your best bet is to upgrade to win 7 64 bit. Dillon wrote an excellent guide to switching trouble free.

Regards

Rob Prest

Recently purchased an MSI GTX560 Ti Hawk. The manual is quite specific in the card requiring a 600 watt PSU.

I run it satisfactorily on my Strider 750 watt PSU.

So this is starting to look like I may need to get an entire new system at this rate :-/