Sign in to follow this  
jcomm

That DX10 option... in the Graphics Settings... ?

After installing FSX Golden I am using only the settings sliders for "tweaking", and so far didn't even try to find where the "cfg" files are under my Windows 7 64 bit OS :-) The performance is great, and I have activated the "DX10" option, but didn't notice any significative difference (?).

I have a Geeforce 450 GTX 1GB, thus DX11 compliant, so, I believe it could work on DX10 mode...

What exactly does that option do? Should I enable it? Is it only usable with some specific add-on aircraft/scenery?

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since October 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

My advice would be to stay away from it. It was never fully developed into the sim by the original dev team and therefore will only really work with default aircraft/scenery a lot of the time. It's a real shame, as for me it increases the performance of the sim exponentially, but I've not yet found a way of enabling it and not running into problems. There's a guy looking into some of the issues here:- http://stevesfsxanalysis.wordpress.com/ however even after applying his (pretty amazing) fixes, I'm still faced with a plethora of issues. If it's working fine for you, go ahead and use it, but I feel when you start installing addons you'll be forced to turn it off fairly quickly.

I tried the DirX10 option and also checked the Bloom option.

I noticed at the "Supply resorts" FSX mission at the very start before you start taxiing to the runway, if you look to the left you'll see something like a small light tower. With the Dirx option off I didn't noticed that before.

But I also noticed with DirX 10 option on, rain would look like a curtain when looking out of the aircraft in VC mode; ie. there was an area where it didn't seem to rain and right behind that I could notice rain. Just like a curtain. It looked horrible so I turned off Dirx 10 and bloom option and haven't gone back since.

You made me curious, and I tried DX10 again (don't know why, I'm such a fool!). It's a bit misleading to say I suffer from a "plethora" of issues with it though. With all of Steve's fixes applied, the only issue which remains is a flashing blue texture which pops up all over my ground textures. So near, and yet so far, as it's ridiculously annoying. If anyone ever fixes this, I'd turn on DX10 without looking back.

The rotating lightbeam coming from the light in the tower from the mission in my above post is nice but nothing spectacular. I also noticed that some parts of the lines on the runways were flashing / blinking - very annoying. So I gave up on Dirx10.

But the light tower is something you can quickly check. Just start the Supply Resort mission (with Dirx10 enabled). As soon as you're in the aircraft look to your left and you should see it. No taxiing / flying needed.

Jose,

Fancy meeting you here!! you come here often? :wink:

Steve has fixed all of the issues above, and if you do a search on this forum there is also a fix for the rain "umbrella" effect..It's all been fixed by one guy in about three months! (take note MSGS)

However, even with my rig, I can run better and certainly with more AC compatibility (a lot of payware doesn't have DX10 paint so shows up as a grey model) with DX9...I tried it but couldn't be bothered to implement the fixes yet, my FSX is running so well...

best

jake

EDIT: here's the post on AVSIM, JC..it's worth reading, along with his blog. The guy's a genius

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/376140-dx10-flashing-runways-experimental-shader/

JAKE EYRE
It's a small step from the sublime to the ridiculous...Napoleon Bonaparte
newSigBetaTeam.gif
lancairuk.jpg

Thanks for that, Jake. I'm def. giving this a try tonight. Sounds very promising!

@All: Thx for the very informative replies :-) I will keep away from DX10 ;-)

Jose,

Fancy meeting you here!! you come here often?

Jake, yes! I used to be a dedicated FSX forum member up to 2006/2007 when I completely quit flight simulation... Now, after the disappointment with the fate of MS FLIGHT, and after a week trying to decide between Prepar3d, Xplane or DCS World, I ended up buying, through the same GFWL interface I used a few times to get FLIGHT DLCs, FSX Golden, and I am really happy I did it!

1) My rig runs it smoothly - I can't recall ever having been able to run it this way, even with the sliders almost all the way to the left and lots of CFG tweaks I no longer remember. Now it's almost full right and no CFG tweaking, and it runs like a charm!

2) I can fly in Portugal :-)

3) I could get back a few Aerosoft and RealAir add-ons, and bought the Lancair Legacy.... Looking forward to install it!!!!

4) I can even fly the Aerosoft DiscusX pure glider/self launching/self sustained with CumulusX!, and probably with AS2012.

One lesson I learned: there were many aspects I found great in FLIGHT FDM probably because I simply couldn't recall how it was in FSX, and also never really had the chance to use it with this level of performance... Until now the only element that lacks is probably the effect of opening doors while flying :-) Even the stall/spin/sideslip/etc.. can all be obtained provided you use good add-ons. If I haven't had this chance to get back to simulation, and to give FSX a new chance of running on a "modern" computer (even if far from the top specs) I would probably be taken to continuing judging some aspects of MS FLIGHT as unique to that platform... I was wrong!

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since October 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Jake, yes! I used to be a dedicated FSX forum member up to 2006/2007 when I completely quit flight simulation

I know, just kidding - good to see you back and to hear it's all going well..

The good payware has opening doors, too ;)

JAKE EYRE
It's a small step from the sublime to the ridiculous...Napoleon Bonaparte
newSigBetaTeam.gif
lancairuk.jpg

I used to use dx 10 on my rig that had the 1366 socket but since I moved to 1155 dx 9 runs plenty good so I dont have to put up with flashing runway /taxiway intersections black boxes on car head lights and so on. The one thing I do miss is the cockpit shadows but they were kinda off blocking anyhow and are not really modeled in realairs plane and I fly those most.

You made me curious, and I tried DX10 again (don't know why, I'm such a fool!). It's a bit misleading to say I suffer from a "plethora" of issues with it though. With all of Steve's fixes applied, the only issue which remains is a flashing blue texture which pops up all over my ground textures. So near, and yet so far, as it's ridiculously annoying. If anyone ever fixes this, I'd turn on DX10 without looking back.

Those flashing blue textures are probably because whatever third party scenery addon you are using isn't DX10 compatible.

If you can live without it, you might try disabling, or uninstalling it to see if the flashing no longer exists?

There is even a way to enable AA in DX10, too.

The ONLY thing preventing me from switching permanently to DX10 is no vsync. This is the most annoying thing of all since it makes the sim look like trash because of the screen tearing. If we (the community) could figure out how to fix this, I think a lot of people would also start using DX10 full time as well.

Those flashing blue textures are probably because whatever third party scenery addon you are using isn't DX10 compatible.

I'm sure you're right, I tried it on Orbx PNW and it was definitely happening there. However, I still get the flashing textures on Aerosoft Corfu X, and I had a nagging feeling their scenery is DX10 compatible? EDIT:- Curious (again!) I took the Robinson for a short hover around the default Edward's AFB, and I still get the blue flashing. Very weird, and as I say a shame as all other aspects seem to work fine. I do have a ton of other CFG tweaks though so it could be any one of these causing the flashing, I might have a play about at some point but I'm not holding my breath! :-)

The ONLY thing preventing me from switching permanently to DX10 is no vsync. This is the most annoying thing of all since it makes the sim look like trash because of the screen tearing. If we (the community) could figure out how to fix this, I think a lot of people would also start using DX10 full time as well.

Vsync works for me in DX10 by simply forcing it on in Nvidia Control Panel. I haven't seen any tearing since - I also have the vsync fix in my cfg file. It wasn't working before I forced it in NVCP though, even with the vsync cfg tweak.

FSX in DX9 with Word Not Allowed's tweaks runs a lot better then it does in DX10. FSAA is also a lot better.

I'm taking a shot here though I'm probably not going to get a reply because this Topic was posted quite some time ago. But I'll give it a try FWIW:

I've read the posts in this Topic from top to bottom and was just amazed at what you were all describing as resulting from enabling the DX10 Preview! That's because I don't have my FSX DX10 Preview enabled and never had yet, I noticed that I had many of the similar issues described here, such as; 

"Blue Patches", flashing scenery, cars in parking lots, and Hangers, (the external surfaces).

I have to wonder if the add-on sceneries I have are turning DX10 on in some way? I have my VSync on and set FSX to hold 32 FPS. I use ATI CCC and I have Radeon Pro, (though I haven't ran it lately because it's been blacking out the FSX screen.. an incorrect or conflicting setting on my part, I'm sure).

My system specs are in my signature but in short, I have a Liquid cooled i7 2600K O/C'd to 5GHz, and a MSI R7850PE O/C'd to 1030mhz core & 5720mhz memory clock. I run 1600mhz x 16GB RAM and a 700w OCZ PSU. Even with all my FSX Scenery sliders to the right, I almost never fall below 24/25 fps while running UTX, GEX FTX, REX, ST, and a bunch of airstrips simultaneously.

But then sometimes, while flying over some areas that may only have a simple enhancement done by a freeware add-on, and in an area not covered by FTX with a relatively average resolution aircraft, I get all those anomalies hitting at once!

I downloaded the 'Flashing Runways' fix today but I use IDM for all my downloads and it noted that I had downloaded that fix on an earlier date so I may have installed it, I have to check. Even if I did according to what I've read, it's supposed to correct errors related to DX10. If I don't run DX10 then these fixes wouldn't make a difference.

But my point is that I seem to be getting these anomalies as you all described w/o DX10 turned on via my FSX panel so is there some other way that DX10 can be turned on?

Thanks, Rich

O/S Windows 10 Pro 64-bit/ Corsair 780T case, (white)/ ASUS ROG Maximus XII Formula/ 32GB (2x16) T-Force XTreem 3600MHz/ EVGA Supernova 1300G2 1300W PSU/ Intel i9–11900K (OC’d 5.2 GHz)/ MSI Ventus 3X GeForce RTX-3080 TiEKWB EK-Quantum CPU block | EKWB EK-XTOP DDC 3.2 PWM Elite pump/ EK-Quantum Momentum VRM Bridge (RGB) (fit to ASUS ROG Max XII Formula mobo)/ Dual reservoir for a total 900 mL cooling system | [2] Radiators: 240 mm & 120 mm radiators (all push/pull fan configs) | [4] Corsair LL120 RGB fans and [4] Corsair RGB strips all controlled by Corsair Lighting Node Pro and iCUE software/ | Internal Drives: [1] Crucial P5 NVME SATA 1 TB/ [5] SATA SSD’s (one 1-TB & four 500GB/ External Drives: [1] Seagate Firecuda NVMe SSD 500 GB/ [1] Seagate MomentusX, 1TB SSHD/ Philips 32” curved monitor model 328E1: 4K, 3840 x 2160 x 60Hz

I'm taking a shot here though I'm probably not going to get a reply because this Topic was posted quite some time ago. But I'll give it a try FWIW:

I've read the posts in this Topic from top to bottom and was just amazed at what you were all describing as resulting from enabling the DX10 Preview! That's because I don't have my FSX DX10 Preview enabled and never had yet, I noticed that I had many of the similar issues described here, such as; 

"Blue Patches", flashing scenery, cars in parking lots, and Hangers, (the external surfaces).

I have to wonder if the add-on sceneries I have are turning DX10 on in some way? I have my VSync on and set FSX to hold 32 FPS. I use ATI CCC and I have Radeon Pro, (though I haven't ran it lately because it's been blacking out the FSX screen.. an incorrect or conflicting setting on my part, I'm sure).

My system specs are in my signature but in short, I have a Liquid cooled i7 2600K O/C'd to 5GHz, and a MSI R7850PE O/C'd to 1030mhz core & 5720mhz memory clock. I run 1600mhz x 16GB RAM and a 700w OCZ PSU. Even with all my FSX Scenery sliders to the right, I almost never fall below 24/25 fps while running UTX, GEX FTX, REX, ST, and a bunch of airstrips simultaneously.

But then sometimes, while flying over some areas that may only have a simple enhancement done by a freeware add-on, and in an area not covered by FTX with a relatively average resolution aircraft, I get all those anomalies hitting at once!

I downloaded the 'Flashing Runways' fix today but I use IDM for all my downloads and it noted that I had downloaded that fix on an earlier date so I may have installed it, I have to check. Even if I did according to what I've read, it's supposed to correct errors related to DX10. If I don't run DX10 then these fixes wouldn't make a difference.

But my point is that I seem to be getting these anomalies as you all described w/o DX10 turned on via my FSX panel so is there some other way that DX10 can be turned on?

Thanks, Rich

Get the DX10 Fixer.