PU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz (3.9GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 Quad-Core Desktop Processor

MB: ASRock Z77 Extreme9 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

GPU: ASUS GTX680-DC2T-2GD5 GeForce GTX 680 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133 (PC3 17000)

PSU: CORSAIR Professional Series HX850 (CMPSU-850HX) 850W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91 80 PLUS SILVER Certified Modular

HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black WD2002FAEX 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

SSD: OCZ Vertex 4 VTX4-25SAT3-128G 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (For OP)

I was throwing around some ideas this morning and was wondering if this looked like a reasonable rig. I would love to hear everyones opinion on what they would change. I already have and i-7 labtop but im just looking for more.

Hunter Rogers

Hunter,

Your spec you list above will be awesome for FSX - one question, tho... Is it just for FSX? The only reason i say that is that the 680 is bl00dy expensive, and you could get away with a lower specced GPU, and FSX will be just as happy. Remember, FSX preferres a beefy CPU over an expensive GPU.

I have the same CPU, and memory, with a 560 nVidia card, and FSX has never been better. Install FSX on the Solid State drive seperate from Windows, and youre sorted.

Hunter,

Your spec you list above will be awesome for FSX - one question, tho... Is it just for FSX? The only reason i say that is that the 680 is bl00dy expensive, and you could get away with a lower specced GPU, and FSX will be just as happy. Remember, FSX preferres a beefy CPU over an expensive GPU.

I have the same CPU, and memory, with a 560 nVidia card, and FSX has never been better. Install FSX on the Solid State drive seperate from Windows, and youre sorted.

Thanks for the info and i will look into with a gtx 560 and yes this will be just an fsx rig.

Hunter Rogers

If it were me and I had the funds I would go with a GTX 670.

Matt Wilson

SSD, see if you can get the 256Gig version for the FSX. The 128G actually gives you about 100G and addons quickly add up

Manny

And I concur on the 670 GTX too

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

The GTX560 is a really good budget card if you'll only use in game AA. A faster card won't make much difference in that case. Even if its 3x as expensive. But as soon as you start to use additional AA through nvidia inspector you'll wish you had a faster card. Especially in clouds.

The GTX560 is a bad choice if you plan to use SGSS AA through nvidia inspector and fly with clouds. In that case the GTX670 or the GTX680 is to recommend. But yes, we're in a different price group than.

Alright so im just gonna leave the gtx 680 might look into the 670 but im not going any lower than that as i plan to play around with nvidia inspector. Im also looking into a larger ssd if anyone can suggest one im open to all opinions. If theres anything else you guys can suggest please do i wanna get this right the first time.

Hunter Rogers

Samsung 830 256G SSD $249

http://www.amazon.co...ywords=ssd 256g

Crucials are cheaper. $205

http://www.amazon.co...ywords=ssd 256g

Thanks for the info manny just one more thing would it be better to just get rid of the HDD and use Two SSDs?

I know the SSDs cost more but they seem to be a big improvement over HDDs and im willing to pay that extra.

Hunter Rogers

I have two SSDs and multiple HDDs.

I use a 128G SSD for the OS and few software installations

I use the 256G SSD for FSX and my most often used scenery addons like Megascenery So Cal, Orbx, Airport addons (Airport addons generally don't take that much space as photosceneries)

I use a 1 TB 6mb HD for not so often used photo sceneries that take up a lot of space.. like UK VFR, Germany VFR etc

I use yet another HD for downloads and bacups of my C drive and FSX folder, Addon purchase backups etc

It all depend on how you want to manage your setup

Manny

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

I have two SSDs and multiple HDDs.

I use a 128G SSD for the OS and few software installations

I use the 256G SSD for FSX and my most often used scenery addons like Megascenery So Cal, Orbx, Airport addons (Airport addons generally don't take that much space as photosceneries)

I use a 1 TB 6mb HD for not so often used photo sceneries that take up a lot of space.. like UK VFR, Germany VFR etc

I use yet another HD for downloads and bacups of my C drive and FSX folder, Addon purchase backups etc

Manny

Alright i will keep the 2TB HDD and just add another SSD. Very much appreciated manny.

Hunter Rogers

850W is overkill, 650W will do fine for a 670 + 3770k.

850W is overkill, 650W will do fine for a 670 + 3770k.

Thanks for the info Santiago.

Hunter Rogers

Don't feel that you have to have FSX on a separate SSD. It's important to have a separate drive if you use a regular HDD. With an SSD you can have the OS on the same drive as FSX. But if you go for a separate drive for FSX there's no need to spend a lot of money for an extra fast one. FSX won't be able to make use of the faster SSDs anyway (apart from when you install things on it) as you'll be fully limited by your CPU. The fact that it is an SSD of todays standard is enough.