Sign in to follow this  
188AHC

July 30 Aerocache

Shucks. If I had known what the aerocache was going to be tomorrow, I could have killed 3 birds with one flight. It is shown as "On top of the highest summit in North America". Gee, wonder where that might be.

Don't think I'll use the cub on this one like I did today. :biggrin:

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

For some strange reason, I can't fly anywhere close to Mt. McKinley without my computer crashing. I can fly all over Hawaii, and most of Alaska but Mt. McKinley is the first aerocache I haven't been able to get. (other than the one at 85,000 feet).

I've tried 5 times and each time I start getting close, my screen goes black. The computer is still on, but I have no control of anything and have to do a hard reset to get the computer working again.

Strange......

For some strange reason, I can't fly anywhere close to Mt. McKinley without my computer crashing.

I'd suggest, just for that aerocache, to turn the options as low as possible. It might help, it might not. Another thing that helped me when I had odd problems was to do a disk check and reboot.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

I made it all the way up there in the Cub, but it was slow going. That last 500' took about a full lap around the peak.

Managing the mixture for that very fine line between too much and too little, to keep from losing power and the ability to climb, was almost as much of a challenge as just controlling the plane.

Thanks Hook,

tried that, but it didn't help. Worse than I thought. It appears I can only fly for about 10 min and then it crashes the computer.

Looks like a video problem but I'm not smart enoung to figure those things out.

I'd delet Flight and re-install it, but I'm not sure how to do all that, and don't know if I want to bother since it's going TU.

Hi Stan.

Before you delete Flight try your settings on LOW as Hook suggested and change to windowed mode (under options) .

That has helped some users having trouble when approaching a specific scenery areas.

In my case my laptop always crashed during the second intro mission when attempting to land by the yacht until I changed to windowed mode.

(Your type of problem was discussed during the Beta, and the devs suggested that it might be the video card overheating, among other things.)

Hope that helps.

I did use the Cub, but I shouldn't have. :lol:

Started at Talkeetna, set up a flight plan all the way to the top, decided to fly IFG (I Follow Glaciers!) and "away we go!"

Lean, lean, lean,

Got it, now to race down to a landing.

I followed a glacier up, and I can follow another one down.

Down for a landing at Nugget Bench.

Best regards.

Luis

Pretty cool that you were at almost 80% fuel at the summit. I was just below that, about 30 gallons total. After I passed 20,300 feet I was able to relax back pressure on the stick and full up trim on the elevator had me climbing very slowly.

Wild that your GPU was at 82/90/82 degrees. I get worried when my ATI 67xx card gets much above 70, but the fan speed is still under 50% at that point. Note that I have the side off the computer case and a small desk fan blowing into it, directly onto the card. Temps have been reasonably low since I did that. You only have to burn up one CPU before you start watching it like a hawk.

change to windowed mode (under options) .

I agree. That's a good idea. You can stretch the window if necessary to get close to full screen, and I use auto-hide on the taskbar to keep it out of the way. If the game locks up, you can at least read the dialog box that sometimes comes up.

You can find out exactly what crashed by looking in the Event Viewer. Just type Event Viewer in the search box in the start menu. Look for anything that mentions Microsoft Flight, and anything else that's there from the time the game crashed.

Also, check the ContentErrors.log file in %appdata%\Microsoft\Flight to see if there's anything unusual there other than the message about XLSP offers that don't exist.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

Kabronicus,

I've tried LOW settings, I've tried windowed mode, I've run checkdisk, I've done a dianostic on the video card, and Nothing seems to work.

Flight is the ONLY program I'm having a problem with, so i doubt it's the video card. (it checks out fine).

Now no matter where I fly, I can fly for about 10 min, and then the screen goes black, and I lose any control of the computer.

Now where do I look on how to do a clean Uninstall and then re-install flight.

Not fun.

How about power supply unit? Do you have enough Watts? Or it's unstable?

You didn't say (or I missed it) whether you are running on Steam or GFWL. If on Steam, go to your Library and verify your files. I did this the other day on my Railworks sim and it found 27 files that didn't validate. It will download the faulty files for you when you load Flight and then it should be good as new.

If GFWL and you can't identify a hardware problem (I suspect either a graphics driver or card) then as far as I know a reinstall is the only way to replace bad files.

Whichever, good luck and please let us know how you correct this if in fact you do.

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

I made it all the way up there in the Cub, but it was slow going. That last 500' took about a full lap around the peak.

Managing the mixture for that very fine line between too much and too little, to keep from losing power and the ability to climb, was almost as much of a challenge as just controlling the plane.

I used the Cub as well... but I just couldn't make it to the top. Maybe I didn't lean enough?? I just ended up landing on a sort-of flat area and got out on foot for a while! (probably about few 100 meters run to the top) Unfortunately when I arrived back at my plane the wind must have flipped my plane over.

At that altitude, leaning is a very fine balancing game, with only one "right" setting. Even the tiniest bit too much or too little and the RPM starts falling off, so you lose power.

I have no idea how Luis managed 75 kts up there... I was hanging on the edge of a stall, with the warning buzzing periodically as I passed slowly over the peak. :o Any attempt to lower the nose and build up some speed resulted in a slow decent.

Thanks to all for advice and suggestions.

3:00 AM I got it working right, like it used to. At the highest settings, I made the flight up to the top of Mt. McKinley.

Hoo Rah.