Sign in to follow this  
gnomegemini

Any other PMDG-like airliner add-ons?

Hi there,

recently I've much time and want to master some more airliner addons. But I can't find any useful ones.

PMDG 737NGX+MD11 are superb

Flightsimlabs Concorde-X is OK so far, but FE panel is not modelled in VC

CaptainSim's are very bad (no environment sounds on 767 like ventilation, recirculation fans, packs etc...)

LevelD 767, MADDOG MD80: no 3D OverheadPanel, sounds not modelled correctly

I want to fly some jet-airliners (not pistons like A2A's) inside VC. Are there any addons anyone would recommend? Thanks in advance.

Well, you've basically ruled out most of the better addons on the market, as not being suitable,so may I suggest you try the Project tupolev 154(freeware) if you want a challenge!

http://www.protu-154.net/index_e.html

Too bad you're not into props, as the A2A birds are on par with Pmdg in regards to quality.

Flightsimlabs Concorde-X is OK so far, but FE panel is not modelled in VC

True, but when looking at the details of the fuel system alone, some other planes will look very simplistic at times.

CaptainSim's are very bad (no environment sounds on 767 like ventilation, recirculation fans, packs etc...)

I'm sure you know that, but you have to turn that stuff on to hear it. :mellow: Well, I mainly wanted to state that my 1.5 767 incorporates those sounds.

MADDOG MD80: no 3D OverheadPanel, sounds not modelled correctly

The sounds again, huh? ^_^ They are there, quite a lot actually and you can adjust all the cockpit things separately via the config panel, just in case. While the optical detail of the Maddog may come in older, it does come with a 3D overhead panel and no flat arrangement. Also, the lighting detail of the Maddog is very nice. Multi stage and fully adjustable. Not to mention the systems, which still act as a benchmark on some levels. It also incorporates a weather radar and terrain display. Regarding the age of the plane, that's a blast.

I'd recommend looking at the Simcheck A300. It comes in full 3D, nice systems including dedicated engine modelling (startup times and things) and a comprehensive manual. Also, the price is nice for such a detailed airliner. You may be pleasantly surprised. Perhaps check the reviews to get a feel for the VC optics.

Dimi's tip also involves plenty of details and all that for free.

I really liked the Coolsky MD80. Found it very well modeled. You may not like the VC because it lacks some 3d elements, but it's still an attractive cockpit IMO.

First thanks for the reply.

If I switch on a pack, I want to her the airflow. When I switch on the recircfans, I want to hear even another airflow. PMDG 737 and MD11 have this. Not sure about the 747 as I haven't bought her. The CS767 (nor the 727 just to mention) does not have this sounds out of the box just after installing and updating. For me it is a big lost in the simulation.

As of the Maddog: I thought, I have this one, but it doesn't seems so... I just realized, that the aerosoft Super 80 is another bird.

I tested some freeware time ago with FS98 or so and was disappointed. I never read any FS-magazines. I only watch the aerosoft sites from time to time and the homepages of some developers I know just to get informations. Seems like I have to get out the www and read some more stuff. I'll give the Tupolev a try. Thanks Dimitri.

Also I'll check out that A300 thanks for that tip.

And I would use prop airliners... but really... the B377 looks really :bad: And the other A2A things are WW2 ones.

Haven't read a review of the Justflight DC6 but about other airliners from them and it was not as good. And I want to buy that one from PMDG as soom as they release it (after T7).

The Leonardo MD-80 despite its age stands up very well to the NGX. It even has shared cockpit and the circuit breakers on the overhead are functional. The downside is that it has a bigger hit on performance than the NGX, but again it is a much older product.

Ok, you have a very special way to say that the first impression on the B377 is :o . :lol:

But you may like her and, like me, later get used to the looks and perform that psychological experiment which mainly causes you to love the ugly thing sooner or later. That's what happened here. Well, means if you like to operate those complex piston engines, representing what was top notch back then.

But since you are not a user of the Leonardo Maddog so far, don't forget about her. The looks are older, but the VC is in 3D. As said, the systems are very detailed and so is the setup tool for all those airline options or the sounds. Fuel planner included, same for random failures.

And despite the age, the VC operation (mousewheel support) and lighting still is very current and way better than e.g. on a PMDG 747. Add the terrain display and weather radar, forget about the cockpit glass without reflections and you are set. There also is some FS2Crew voice commander out for her, which is very good too.

On the A300. Can't go wrong on the systems and 'not just another Boeing' feeling with that one. For the voice stuff, MCE may support it sooner or later and I personally run it with the Civa INS, being a separate system to learn and enjoy in my eyes.

As far as commercial airliners, PMDG has ruined it for me. After flying the NGX for hundreds of hours (literally) I have since deleted all other payware stuff out of my hard drive. Going and flying anything else as far as commercial airliners are concerned is pointless to me. I plan on buying their 777 on day one and will have the NGX/777 combo for all my flights.

Eric 

As far as commercial airliners, PMDG has ruined it for me. After flying the NGX for hundreds of hours (literally) I have since deleted all other payware stuff out of my hard drive. Going and flying anything else as far as commercial airliners are concerned is pointless to me. I plan on buying their 777 on day one and will have the NGX/777 combo for all my flights.

And this is exactly my problem :( So there seems not to be another airliner of this quality on the market :(

At the moment Nothing beats the PMDG 737NGX. Has got to be the greatest airliner ever made for the Microsoft Flight Simulator platform.

I'm so hooked on this Aircraft, I raise my glass to PMDG.

Matt

Yep, the NGX is simply superb. Hard to believe it's already three days until it's first birthday :blink:

But note that you need a med-high end computer to run the NGX smoothly, and if you really like the NGs, I suggest that you also go for the 600/700 expansion pack.

Thanks,

Kevin L

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

I'd say the Maddog is more advanced than the NGX. It has many things modelled that the NGX doesnt have, like WX radar (I know, it doesnt show precipitation, it just shows where the clouds are), working circuit breakers, digital flight data recorder etc. Its also very fully featured, having had things like shared cockpit for years already. It does of course look far worse than the NGX.

You didn't need an expensive PC. I built mine up for myself and have paid less than 800 euros 4 months ago (i5 2500k @4700MHz, 16GB Memory, 1,5TB HDD, HD6970 GPU) and have never ever <24fps which is quite enough for a simulation (using addon scenery like london heathrow). For a expensive gamer-pc you'll pay about 2000 euros.

args... not sure. A300 or Maddog? Is the Maddog the MD83 or MD88? I was flying to holidays within a MD88 but is quite some years ago.

@Tatave: I made a job training at berlin schönefeld for air berlin technic many years ago. I have had only 738 to manage so this is my bird I'm flying with.

And this is exactly my problem :( So there seems not to be another airliner of this quality on the market :(

In all honesty, I find the Leonardo Maddog to be both more fun and interesting to fly than the PMDG 737NGX. This is not only because of the extensive detail of the simulation (which even includes circuit breakers!), but also because of the way McDonnell Douglas designed the MD-80 cockpit. It is basically a DC9 with some automated functions, such as the FMS and auto pilot.

It is for the same reson that I find the PMDG MD-11 a much more satisfying plane than the PMDG747: the MD-11 is so wonderfully different. You have to get used to it, for sure, but in the end you'll come to appreciate the differences.

As for the LDS767, this is still one of my top favoriate aircraft simulations of all time. I don't know what to say, but it just works... Every flight with it is amazing. The only down side is that the VC looks dated, but that's where any drawbacks end in my opinion. In all other respects it's still an amazing simulation of a beautiful aircraft!

I agree that indeed the Simcheck A300 is also a good simulation. I don't have much experience with it, but it's fun to fly something as old as that now and then.

I guess that in summary, if you want an aircraft that has the quality of the PMDG 737NGX in every single respect, then you are out of luck. But if you find yourself in a more forgiving position, then you'll find that there are other aircraft out there of which at least the simulation is as good as the PMDG 737NGX's.

Benjamin van Soldt

Windows 10 64bit - i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz - ASRock Fatality K6 Z370 - EVGA GTX1070 SC 8GB VRAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200MHz - Samsung 960 Evo SSD M.2 NVMe 500GB - 2x Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB (P3Dv4/5 drive) - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 750W - Noctua DH-15S - Fractal Design Focus G (White) Case

I want to fly some jet-airliners (not pistons like A2A's) inside VC. Are there any addons anyone would recommend? Thanks in advance.

What about something not piston, but only half jet - a turboprop?

The J41 is REALLY good, and has full FS2Crew voice support which adds alot.

There is also something new coming up that is even better - the Dash 8 from Majestic. It's not even in beta yet and the pictures and videos look good even at this early stage: http://198.164.146.97/fanda/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2546&sid=70daf48b6f4af7837d727002cd0c92e2&start=150

Worth waiting for.