Sign in to follow this  
c152flyboy

Only google could save Flight now

Google is probably the only company that could afford the code from Microsoft, combine Flight with Google Earth, add Sketch up 3D models and make the planet look truly lifelike.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Google-can-save-flight-simming/391373234250032?ref=hl

if you think that it is a good idea, tell me so on the facebbok page, i know people who dont think it is a good dont need an invatation to say that , lol.

Kyle

Google Earth image data has way too many problems for that. You would see a lot of borders between different satellite images that are in different colors, and also a lot of clouds + in many areas general quality wouldn't be that good for low level flying, and I have no idea how much space all that stuff would take, and it would also lack night textures.

The problem with Flight wasn't a lack of pretty scenery, it was a lack of features that simulator enthusiasts cared about.

The problem with Flight wasn't a lack of pretty scenery, it was a lack of features that simulator enthusiasts cared about.

Totally.

sorry, but they are all there for me!

I thought about this as well - Google taking over Flight..

It's mainly because google like throwing money at vanity projects though - there's really nothing in it for them to keep it going.

What could "save Flight" though.. is an investment in a new development shop which Microsoft would be willing to license (not sell) the IP to...

So if some Investor or group (let's just say Paul Allen.. just for giggles) decided that the there was a profitable business to be had in continuing to keep MS' flight simulation legacy afloat -- albeit on an adjusted trajectory (no more cockpit-less airplanes, just for example), it wouldn't be inconceivable that a 50 person development shop could be capitalized and spun up rather quickly and turn Flight into a profitable venture inside of 12 months.

It's actually a reasonable business proposition;

- MS Flight Sim (and flight sims in general) still have a large addressable audience - especially if you were to make good on the initial vision of Flight without alienating hardcore simmers.

- the underlying engine already works, it's already making some amount of money, turning the pipeline on again is only going to increase things..

- Multiplayer - typically the bane of game development - is already working smoothly -- better, in fact, that just about anything else.

- Missions.. there are already hooks for missions, and these could become highly profitable micro-transactions.

All they'd really need to do is take over development, release a new mission statement, crank out a few desperately-needed patches and start deploying newer, better deluxe aircraft on a monthly cadence, while working on an eventual SDK. -- oh, and take community engagement seriously.

I think it could work, if properly executed and given enough time to flourish.

Liklihood of this happening? about 1 in 500,000..

sorry, but they are all there for me!

I suppose I could qualify my statement by saying, "Flight lacked features that the overwhelming majority of simulator enthusiasts cared about."

I say "overwhelming majority" with a high degree of confidence on the basis that the project was shutdown less than six-months after its debut. If more enthusiasts cared about the features it offered then it would have been a success rather than a failure.

I thought about this as well - Google taking over Flight..

It's mainly because google like throwing money at vanity projects though - there's really nothing in it for them to keep it going.

What could "save Flight" though.. is an investment in a new development shop which Microsoft would be willing to license (not sell) the IP to...

So if some Investor or group (let's just say Paul Allen.. just for giggles) decided that the there was a profitable business to be had in continuing to keep MS' flight simulation legacy afloat -- albeit on an adjusted trajectory (no more cockpit-less airplanes, just for example), it wouldn't be inconceivable that a 50 person development shop could be capitalized and spun up rather quickly and turn Flight into a profitable venture inside of 12 months.

It's actually a reasonable business proposition;

- MS Flight Sim (and flight sims in general) still have a large addressable audience - especially if you were to make good on the initial vision of Flight without alienating hardcore simmers.

- the underlying engine already works, it's already making some amount of money, turning the pipeline on again is only going to increase things..

- Multiplayer - typically the bane of game development - is already working smoothly -- better, in fact, that just about anything else.

- Missions.. there are already hooks for missions, and these could become highly profitable micro-transactions.

All they'd really need to do is take over development, release a new mission statement, crank out a few desperately-needed patches and start deploying newer, better deluxe aircraft on a monthly cadence, while working on an eventual SDK. -- oh, and take community engagement seriously.

I think it could work, if properly executed and given enough time to flourish.

Liklihood of this happening? about 1 in 500,000..

Microsoft does not :wub: Google. I suspect they would probably rather walk across a mile wide expanse of broken bottles in their bare feet than do that.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

If more enthusiasts cared about the features it offered then it would have been a success rather than a failure.

That's something of an urban myth. The total number of "enthusiasts" may still have been too small to make Flight commercially viable.

That's something of an urban myth. The total number of "enthusiasts" may still have been too small to make Flight commercially viable.

I agree. And I really don't think anyone will be interested in picking up the franchise again. Personally I love anything aviation, but if my job was to make profits for investors I wouldn't touch a flight sim with a ten foot pole, to risky

Absolutely agree, and I've been telling people this since the beginning.

There's a lot of false concensus going on. "If I'm like this, then most people are." There are a lot of very dedicated simmers out there, but Microsoft was hoping to bring in the non-simmer and get them interested in flying to increase the potential market. This would have been a good thing.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

I agree. And I really don't think anyone will be interested in picking up the franchise again. Personally I love anything aviation, but if my job was to make profits for investors I wouldn't touch a flight sim with a ten foot pole, to risky

Despite all evidence to the contrary, the perception remains out there in the wild that we are a large, financially powerful and attractive market.

Honestly, If I was Microsoft, I would skip us altogether. If I ever came back to the Aviation market, it would be with a game called Microsoft Combat flight Arcade, or something along those lines, that made it super hyper mega-clear that this market was not the target, and to drive it home, I would post in advance that no planes would have cockpits or anything resembling a flight model.

I think they could get a green light on that, using flights discarded assets.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

The total number of "enthusiasts" may still have been too small to make Flight commercially viable.

There is most certainly a viable market for flight simulators as proven by the continued success of a certain competing product that shall remain unnamed. There is not, however, a market for a watered-down arcade simulator like Flight. As I said from the start, Flight would have been a success if it had features that sim enthusiasts actually cared about.

There is most certainly a viable market for flight simulators as proven by the continued success of [XPlane].

A basically one man company can make a go of it with only a few tens of thousands sales. Microsoft needs millions of sales to even consider development. Their overhead is higher.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

Which is to say (again) that this market alone is probably about as attractive to a company the size of Microsoft as an Edsel.

Devons rig