Sign in to follow this  
6FingerSays

You are a passenger on a B737-800NG and both pilots are unconscious. Could you land it?

do you have the code of the very strong cockpit door ????

Phil.

Flight Attendants let you in

Ah yes, this old chestnut!

Mike Beckwith

it all depends on how smooth your fps are and pray for no micro-stutters :lol:

Flight Attendants let you in

They go to all that trouble securing the flight deck only to give access to the FAs, 99% of whom would give it up under duress?

There is an emergency code the FAs have. But here's a twist.

When you enter it there is a delay, during this time an alarm sounds in the flightdeck saying the emergency code is entered, if it is not blocked within a certain time the door opens. But if the pilots wish they can block it. This means that the pilots can keep anyone out who is trying to get in using force, but if they would both go to sleep or similar, the FA can get in the flightdeck.

Simple, but effective, if you ask me.

back to the OP and if you can cross that door and depending on your real life and world flying experience i can be done maybe and of course maybe not.

last time it happens in real life the FA (that was on his way to pilot that NG) wasnt able to fix the problems and make a safe landing ....

the first time i set up in an heavy jet sim it was a lovely DC10 with vision colour (at that time it was only dark on 747) and i can tell you that it was harder than any small planes, but easier than a PC simulator (at that time) but one thing i noticed already was inertia.

dont think the PMDG NGX is bad but it s still just a PC simulator if you have the chance to try a full flight sim then going in the flight deck (even just a jump seat) you ll see the ocean im talking about ......

all the best.

Phil

I'd say yes. The procedure wouldn't be that hard to follow - after all we get enough practice. And as long as nothing goes wrong - abnormal procedures could be tricky.

I'd say the really hard part would be controlling your anxiety. The adrenaline could be a killer.

Mike Beckwith

it all depends on how smooth your fps are and pray for no micro-stutters :lol:

Better hope that wind smoothing fix you applied works out.

Erik L.

I wish people that ask these kind of questions would buy some time in a LVL D sim. I've seen new guys struggle with the flaps lever, others didn't realise the brakes need to be depressed before setting the parking brake.

More to operating these machines then knowing the right buttons to press. And let's not get into real world energy management verses the sim.

Rob Prest

Doesn't matter how good you are at the NGX. You'll probably end up forgetting the gear leaver and killing everyone anyway.

There's an important question of motivation here though. It's a life and death situation - it's make it work or die!

Mike Beckwith

Probably, depending on the wind - I'd be scared to try it with a high value crosswind - other than that, most likely.