Sign in to follow this  
Naki@NZFF

NZNI Flights

Since I know the area well in real life ..here's some suggested flights (havent tried all of them myself yet but these should be worth exploring:

1. Explore Mt Egmont/Taranaki. Take off from Hawera (NZHA) and fly north via a scenic flight over Mt Egmont/Taranaki to New Plymouth (NZNP). Possible stop is Stratford (NZSD) (i grew up here).

2. Explore the King Country hill country. Take off from Te Kuiti (NZTU) and fly to Taumaranui (NZTM) and then onwards to Wanaganui (NZWU). Should have good views of the Mountains in the Volcanoic Plateau

3. Explore Coromandel and the resort towns and beaches...take off from Ardmore (NZAR the countrys biggest GA airport and home to many warbirds )...fly direct to Thames (NZTH)....then north to Coromandel (NZCX)..then over the ranges to Matarangi (NZAG) and south down the other side via Whitianga (NZWT) and Pauanui (NZUN the airstrip is right in the middle of town and some house have hangars) then onwarsd to Tauranga (NZTG).

4. Explore the Hauraki Gulf and Auckland ...take off from Ardmore (NZAR) South Auckland and fly to Claris (NZGB) or Okiwi (NZOX) on the Great Barrier Island. You can fly this via Waiheke Island (NZKE) if you wish which is a challenging airstrip. Then fly back to North Shore (NZNE) in North Auckland and then back to NZAR via Auckland City. You could also call into the Whenuapai Air Force base on the way down.

5. Explore the Bay of Islands. Take off from Kerikeri (NZKK) and head east and explore the many island in this area...not sure of any airports on the Islands ..I wil need to explore this myself.

6. Explore the Beaches north of Auckland (a favourite area of mine in summer along with Coromandel). Take off from North Shore (NZNE) and head north to Whangarei (NZWR). Possible stops along the way include Springhill (NZSL) and Kaipara Flats (NZKF). There are other strips along the way but I just cant remember them at the moment.

7. The Volcanic Safari...this is the probably the most spectacular. Take of from Whakatane (NZWK) ..head east out sea to White Island to see this active volcano...then turn around and head westish towards Rotorua (NZRO)...you will fly over Mt Tarawera (which blew up big time in the 1800s) and many lakes before getting to Rotorua. Then onwards to Taupo (NZAP) for a stop and views of Lake Taupo (an old volcano which was the scene of a massive eruption many centuries ago - sent debris into space!). Then fly to Taumaranui (NZTM) via the central North Island Volcanoes of which Ruapehu is the highest volcano in the country. There is hot water lake on top.

8. Explore the Capital. Take off from Plamerston North (NZPN) and head south down the coast to Paraparaumu (NZPP) and then further south to the tricky and usually very windy Wellington International (NZWN).

9. Vineyard Tour. Take off Gisborne (NZGS) (the airport with the railway through it) and head south to the Hawkes Bay area (which is famous for its wine) to either Hastings (NZHS) or Napier (NZNR) (or both). You can extend this tour further south to another vineyard area further south in the Wairarapa and land at Masterton (NZMS). This is the home of Peter Jackson's Vintage Aviator Factory and other warbirds including a Corsair and Kittyhawk.

I think that wil do for now...enjoy

HeyNaki@NZFF thanks for taking the time to compile this list.

I am just starting my touring of this area and I started in Wellington and headed north along the west coast...and then was going about it randomly. I will use your list to get me going in the "right" direction.

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3

Wow. Thanks, Naki..More stuff to do!

Nice one..I've already taken two tours..the first from NZKT (Kaitaia), ending up at NZNE (North Shore) and the second, a tour from NZNE via a load of airports, all the way down and round to NZWN..I made vids of both on my youtube page..Amazing scenery..Very efficient, too..no stutters or lag, even over heavy AG..It runs as well if not beter than any scenery I have..

JAKE EYRE
It's a small step from the sublime to the ridiculous...Napoleon Bonaparte
newSigBetaTeam.gif
lancairuk.jpg

No problems guys...I have just noticed the ICACO code is incorrect for Te Kuiti,..it should be NZTT, not NZTU.

Speaking of which there is an upgrade of this airport as well as New Plymouth, Raglan & Wanganui for NZNI. Available here http://www.fs-creations.org/ . You will need to purchase Taupo and Hamilton airports (there is a patch for these as well to fit into NZNI) as it uses the library from those sceneries, but these are very good value and are very detailed (including terminal interiors) ....they are on par with any detailed Orbx airports I have

Since I know the area well in real life ..here's some suggested flights (havent tried all of them myself yet but these should be worth exploring:

1. Explore Mt Egmont/Taranaki. Take off from Hawera (NZHA) and fly north via a scenic flight over Mt Egmont/Taranaki to New Plymouth (NZNP). Possible stop is Stratford (NZSD) (i grew up here).

2. Explore the King Country hill country. Take off from Te Kuiti (NZTU) and fly to Taumaranui (NZTM) and then onwards to Wanaganui (NZWU). Should have good views of the Mountains in the Volcanoic Plateau

3. Explore Coromandel and the resort towns and beaches...take off from Ardmore (NZAR the countrys biggest GA airport and home to many warbirds )...fly direct to Thames (NZTH)....then north to Coromandel (NZCX)..then over the ranges to Matarangi (NZAG) and south down the other side via Whitianga (NZWT) and Pauanui (NZUN the airstrip is right in the middle of town and some house have hangars) then onwarsd to Tauranga (NZTG).

4. Explore the Hauraki Gulf and Auckland ...take off from Ardmore (NZAR) South Auckland and fly to Claris (NZGB) or Okiwi (NZOX) on the Great Barrier Island. You can fly this via Waiheke Island (NZKE) if you wish which is a challenging airstrip. Then fly back to North Shore (NZNE) in North Auckland and then back to NZAR via Auckland City. You could also call into the Whenuapai Air Force base on the way down.

5. Explore the Bay of Islands. Take off from Kerikeri (NZKK) and head east and explore the many island in this area...not sure of any airports on the Islands ..I wil need to explore this myself.

6. Explore the Beaches north of Auckland (a favourite area of mine in summer along with Coromandel). Take off from North Shore (NZNE) and head north to Whangarei (NZWR). Possible stops along the way include Springhill (NZSL) and Kaipara Flats (NZKF). There are other strips along the way but I just cant remember them at the moment.

7. The Volcanic Safari...this is the probably the most spectacular. Take of from Whakatane (NZWK) ..head east out sea to White Island to see this active volcano...then turn around and head westish towards Rotorua (NZRO)...you will fly over Mt Tarawera (which blew up big time in the 1800s) and many lakes before getting to Rotorua. Then onwards to Taupo (NZAP) for a stop and views of Lake Taupo (an old volcano which was the scene of a massive eruption many centuries ago - sent debris into space!). Then fly to Taumaranui (NZTM) via the central North Island Volcanoes of which Ruapehu is the highest volcano in the country. There is hot water lake on top.

8. Explore the Capital. Take off from Plamerston North (NZPN) and head south down the coast to Paraparaumu (NZPP) and then further south to the tricky and usually very windy Wellington International (NZWN).

9. Vineyard Tour. Take off Gisborne (NZGS) (the airport with the railway through it) and head south to the Hawkes Bay area (which is famous for its wine) to either Hastings (NZHS) or Napier (NZNR) (or both). You can extend this tour further south to another vineyard area further south in the Wairarapa and land at Masterton (NZMS). This is the home of Peter Jackson's Vintage Aviator Factory and other warbirds including a Corsair and Kittyhawk.

I think that wil do for now...enjoy

Thanks! I look forward to more exploring. If you ever do one of these FPs for NZSI, please let me know.

Jose

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.