Sign in to follow this  
CraigC

Air Force One Weds Night's West Wing....

For you political junkies in North America, watch "The West Wing" tonight (April 2), Air Force one developes a gear problem....as if President Bartlett doesn't have enough problems.But hey, its entertaining....Tim_757

I would love to have the chance to fly on AF-1.... Even with a gear problem.... :)

Guest JDH

Is that Season Three? We've had Season's 1&2 here in the UK and I don't recall such an episode. I love The West Wing, if only President Bush was as smart, intelligent, clever, etc. etc. as the fictional Bartlett!

This episode was okay until the end when you hear the pilot come on and say they have been rerouted to runway 39! Must be a special secret runway at Andrews.

Guest RiddlePilot

I can't stand it when movies/shows mess little things up like that. I happened to come across a Burt Reynolds flick tonight where he was a passenger in a Piper Navajo/Chieftan and they were being chased by the cops in a Baron. The pilot of the Piper bailed and left Burt in control. They called up LaGuardia and declared an emergency. They were cleared to land on runway 25, but the winds were 090 at 18 :-roll. I could understand this in the event of an engine or catastrophic failure where they didn't have a choice, but with both engines running, talk him around to a more favorable runway.

Guest JDH

I was watching a series called "Mile High" which is shown here in the UK. A "drama" set in the world of a low-cost airline, a recent episode had an in flight emergency. Firstly, the F/O lowered the landing gear which was followed by a PA announcement of "Cabin Crew, 20 minutes to landing!!!" Then a convenient red light labeled "Gear Unsafe" flashed!!Hate inaccuracy in TV and film, but cannot avoid it!

Funny you guys should mention inaccuracies in aviation on TV. There was an article in AOPA not too long ago about these inaccuracies. The author basically said that directors will deliberately make a scene inaccurate if it adds drama to the shot. One movie I think he referred to specifically was (oh shoot, I forget the name now, heh)...well, the scene (I saw the movie after reading the article) involved the pilot leaning the mixture to kill the engine while he talked on a cell phone. The aircraft immediately starts to nose dive and the only way he can pull out of the dive is to restart the engine. I was chuckling when I realized I was watching the movie the author of the AOPA article was talking about. If I remember the name of the movie, Ill come back and post.Craig

Guest united777

Another GREAT example is the latest 007 movie-Die Another Day-. That lazer thing detroys everything in its path on the ground, yet the Russian made aircraft merly has some damage. come on!!!BTW, the Air Force One used on the West Wing was a Virgin Atlantic 747 at KIAD. I saw the creation of it on cnn.com. guess nothing interesting was on the news. :-lol"... AND I'M PROUD TO BE AN AMERICAN!"[b/]