Sign in to follow this  
maranduba

Change of Approach

Hello captains out there, here is my question:

Shortly before arriving at a destination with ILS the weather has suddenly changed, what are the exact procedures to be taken to change the new runway. Thanks in advance for your insight!

Not that I'm a captain, but from general knowledge I would get the chart of my new approach and plan from there. The approach plates will have all the necessary information on it for flying that approach. Some things you might have to change in the cockpit depending on the approach is frequencies, courses, altitude, and or headings. Reprogramming the FMC is a must so it has the current approach and landing information.

If you do get assigned a different runway than what you had planned for, you should make sure you're aware of the current weather, so you know what the field conditions are as well.

-Nate

Dear ?

Should you have to change your Rwy/ILS the proper procedure would be to go MCP (tactical- HDG SEL, ALT, SPD INTV) if needed. Then examine your routing via your plates (Jepp, Navigraph, NOAA etc.) and compare to your current position. If the current arrival (STAR) would still work (most often the case), then select the new approach in the FMC. Re-tune your radios and CRS and select Markers if needed. If your current arrival would not be applicable, then select the proper arrival as well. Review and remove any discontinuities in PLAN mode. Be sure to "update" your MDA and VREF along with any QNH change. Review your Auto-brake selection to ensure it is still appropriate for the new runway. If there is time you can then re-engage LNAV/VNAV and fly. Turn to intercept heading in HDG SEL first, then select LNAV. Be sure to review the new missed approach procedure and plan on entering THAT altitude in the MCP immediately prior to Landing Checks. MSAs ought to stay the same, however your flight path might take you in a different quadrant so be sure to re-brief the arrival.

IRL most of the time this would be done via radar vectors (MCP). Full last-minute changes in the world of ACARS are increasingly unusual. That is NOT to say that at busy airports an approach with a side-step are not practiced/and aren't unusual.

Hope this gets you started.....

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

Everything that Carl says :) the only thing I would add is to always have another runway setup on the secondary flight plan page for a quick switch at the push of a button. I tend to brief myself for a few different runways.

A good example is my last flight on IVAO a few hours ago, wind into LSGG was variable, I initially chose 05 for arrival but setup 23 on the secondary page and ran the performance data through TOPCAT. By the time I was on the STAR 05 had a pretty strong tail wind, I simply activated the secondary for 23 & recalculated my Vapp in under 20 seconds.

Regards

Rob Prest

Hello captains out there, here is my question:

Shortly before arriving at a destination with ILS the weather has suddenly changed, what are the exact procedures to be taken to change the new runway. Thanks in advance for your insight!

Fly the Back Course to the Outer Marker at the Procedure Turn Altitude, teardrop back and shoot the approach.

billy bluestar

I Earned My Spurs in Vietnam

Thank you, Nate, Carl, Rob and Billy for the speedy and professional replies!

Thank you,

Regards, Johannes