Sign in to follow this  

Plan-G > Reality XP GNS 530?

Do you ever plan a flight (with more waypoints then the departure and destination airport) and enter it manually in the 530? If so, how do you do it? Or do you always simply create A to B plans (which might as well be a Direct-to the destination...)? I don't plan on creating plans with lots of waypoints, but two or three might be usefull to guide me along valleys, etc.

Do I... all the time.

But I typically plan my flights on a VOR to VOR, or at least Waypoint to Waypoint basis.

If you want to fly a scenic flight, you can consult the excellent map on the 530, especially the Terrain page

and follow it as you go..

So, a typical flight might be:

Bend, Oregon to Portland International.

Start by entering DSD (Deschutes VOR) as the first waypoint, and KPDX as the destination.

Enroute, after passing Mt Jefferson, select an RNAV approach and activate it.

That will give you all the waypoints you need and guide you in for an LPV landing.

More pictures to be found in the Avsim Legacy review.. http://forum.avsim.net/page/index.html/_/reviews/lancair-legacy-r402

Bert

Really, Bert?.....really?? You just had to show that screenie of a BUXOM waypoint??? :P

Thanks BTW for the great support over the years, to build upon CoolP's point above.

Wayne Klockner
United Virtual

BetaTeamB.png

If you want to fly a scenic flight, you can consult the excellent map on the 530, especially the Terrain page

and follow it as you go..

Hm, yes, that terrain map.. The only reason I plan flights in Plan-G is because I like to fly low through valleys but I don't like dead end streets... :wink: But maybe indeed the GNS 530 map, and specially that terrain one, is good enough to guide me. Specially if I did checkout a possible route in Plan-G before starting the flight.

Ok, let's do it. I've been thinking about getting the RXP GNS for ages now and I am getting tired of not getting it... :wink:

Let us know how you like it. If not, you can still return the soft. That's from C-OOLP. :lol:

Do you ever plan a flight (with more waypoints then the departure and destination airport) and enter it manually in the 530?

Hello

Plan using vor and Ndb , not arbitrary waypoints, Can Plan-G output a plan using navaids only ?.

I use FSCommander to output a Navaid plan then simply enter the plan by hand into the GNS.

Nice thing about FSCommander is that for VFR flights, it can automatically detect and show controlled airspace violations, letting you route around them.

Hm, yes, that terrain map.. The only reason I plan flights in Plan-G is because I like to fly low through valleys but I don't like dead end streets... :wink: But maybe indeed the GNS 530 map, and specially that terrain one, is good enough to guide me. Specially if I did checkout a possible route in Plan-G before starting the flight.

Ok, let's do it. I've been thinking about getting the RXP GNS for ages now and I am getting tired of not getting it... :wink:

To start with, I think the 430 is more versatile (fits in more panels)

Let us know how you like it. If not, you can still return the soft. That's from C-OOLP. :lol:

Wow! Cool! Awesome! Really! Why didn't I buy it years ago! First of all it's a lot sharper then the default GPS. :wink: But the options... really...!!! Incredible! You don't have to plan a scenic flight at all with that terrain option! I just did a flight that I had already planned in Plan-G but I decided to do a Directy-to in the GNS 530 and I simply used the terrain view to show me where the valleys were through which I planned my flight. How cool is that! Awesome! And all the extra information you get... I loaded an ILS approach and the GNS even tells you what to do and warns you for everything!

Next thing I will do is an RNAV app: if I am not mistaken I can keep the GNS on GPS instead of having to switch to VLOC with an RNAV approach. I downloaded the original Garmin manual and will have to do some (or a lot of) reading... Great!!!!

One thing though: is it possible to get rid of the symbols (arrow, hands) you see when you work with the GNS? Specially that round arrow that you see when you work with the knobs: I don't like it... But that's just a minor thing.

BTW I loved how easy I could add the GNS to the Legacy!!!

Yes, I am happy. :wink: This makes the Legacy even more real! It's fun checking out all the information on the device! (It's a good thing it warns for terrain too when you are looking downwards and don't pay attention at all to what's around you... :wink: )

To start with, I think the 430 is more versatile (fits in more panels)

True, but 1. I only fly the Legacy (probably for quite some time) and it fits perfectly in it and 2. the 430 is too small... I really like that bigger 530 screen.

Wow! Cool! Awesome! Really! Why didn't I buy it years ago! First of all it's a lot sharper then the default GPS. :wink: But the options... really...!!! Incredible! You don't have to plan a scenic flight at all with that terrain option! I just did a flight that I had already planned in Plan-G but I decided to do a Directy-to in the GNS 530 and I simply used the terrain view to show me where the valleys were through which I planned my flight. How cool is that! Awesome! And all the extra information you get... I loaded an ILS approach and the GNS even tells you what to do and warns you for everything!

Next thing I will do is an RNAV app: if I am not mistaken I can keep the GNS on GPS instead of having to switch to VLOC with an RNAV approach. I downloaded the original Garmin manual and will have to do some (or a lot of) reading... Great!!!!

One thing though: is it possible to get rid of the symbols (arrow, hands) you see when you work with the GNS? Specially that round arrow that you see when you work with the knobs: I don't like it... But that's just a minor thing.

BTW I loved how easy I could add the GNS to the Legacy!!!

Yes, I am happy. :wink: This makes the Legacy even more real! It's fun checking out all the information on the device! (It's a good thing it warns for terrain too when you are looking downwards and don't pay attention at all to what's around you... :wink: )

True, but 1. I only fly the Legacy (probably for quite some time) and it fits perfectly in it and 2. the 430 is too small... I really like that bigger 530 screen.

The LPV approaches are great fun too. It feels odd getting full vertical and Lateral guidance with no ILS signal dialled in!

The LPV approaches are great fun too. It feels odd getting full vertical and Lateral guidance with no ILS signal dialled in!

Ah, so you can indeed simply select the LVP approach (RNAV?) and keep the AP on NAV and the GNS on GPS? You don't have to set the AP to APP, right? It's probably all in the manuals... :wink:

EDIT

O, wait, can you do such an approach on AP or do you only get guidance and do you have to fly the approach manually?

BTW When I decide on where I want to fly to, how do I know if it has an LVP approach? Afaik FSX nor Plan-G show them. I guess I have to check it in the GNS 530 itself?

Sounds like a good outcome. :smile: Check the RXP forums on that one thread with the free and legal updates to mid 2011 databases. Well, after you've flown and enjoyed the thing a bit of course.

http://www.simforums...topic39731.html

The GPS based approaches differ a bit. You will see LNAV, LNAV+V, LPV and things. Some allow for ILS-like guidance with the APP mode on, others just 'guide' and you have to follow and LNAV is just the lateral part, so the vertical planing is fully up to you.

Right you are, the manual helps on the various types in place. You will love them all. ^_^ The minima will differ among all those for example. Here's some overview.

gpsapps.jpg

Here's an overview on US based GPS approaches. Since they really push GPS 'installations', they are getting more and more. http://www.faa.gov/a...aches/index.cfm All those American Orbx places should be in there for the most part.

Thanks! I think I understand the differences between the various modes but LVP looks a lot like L/VNAV...

When it comes to being able to use the AP or not (and if you need to select APP or NAV or VLOC or GPS): does the real world Garmin manual apply to the current RXP GNS 530 and the Legacy? I remember reading from long ago that GPS approaches all had to be handflown and that there wasn't an AP yet in FSX that could fly them for you. Apparently things have changed? If the manual completely applies to the Legacy with the RXP GNS then I won't have to ask everything here... :wink:

If its an LPV approach just leave the CDI setting in 'GPS' not VLOC. If Im going to let the AP start down the approach I simply hit 'APP' at the time I see the GS indicator start moving down. If you are hand flying, just follow the LOC and GS guidance as you would an ILS. You have to disengange the AP by the MDA on the approach plate.

Going back to your toipc about custom waypoints, this is from the GNS430W manual:

Direct-to waypoints may also be selected from

the map page, by panning to the desired location

and pressing direct-to and ENT (twice). If no airport,

navaid or user waypoint exists at the desired

location, a waypoint named “+MAP” will automatically

be created at the location of the panning

pointer.

To select a direct-to waypoint from the map page:

1. From the map page, press the small right

knob to display a panning pointer.

2. Turn the small and large right knobs to place

the panning pointer at the desired location.

3. If the panning pointer is placed on an existing

airport, navaid or user waypoint, the waypoint

name will be highlighted. Press direct-to and

then ENT twice to navigate to the waypoint.

4. If the panning pointer is placed on an open

location, press direct-to and ENT twice to

create a “+MAP” waypoint and navigate to

it.

Thanks! I think I understand the differences between the various modes but LVP looks a lot like L/VNAV...

When it comes to being able to use the AP or not (and if you need to select APP or NAV or VLOC or GPS): does the real world Garmin manual apply to the current RXP GNS 530 and the Legacy? I remember reading from long ago that GPS approaches all had to be handflown and that there wasn't an AP yet in FSX that could fly them for you. Apparently things have changed? If the manual completely applies to the Legacy with the RXP GNS then I won't have to ask everything here... :wink:

The RXP WAAS units directly drive the AP so you are good to go!