Sign in to follow this  

RealAir Legacy for summer only?

I suppose not :wink: but is the Legacy only meant to be flown during summer...? :blink: I must be missing something obvious but I can't complete a flight with the plane in winter... Shortly after take off manifold pressure goes down to zero no matter what I do. What am I doing wrong? I don't see any buttons I could press to avoid this from happening.

Bummer... it's a bad day for simming: I planned on buying the RXP GNS 530 and AirHauler but I have second thoughts on both (bummer 1 and bummer 2) so I decided to forget about it all and do a relaxed flight with the Legacy and now it won't fly... (bummer 3). Sometimes I hate flight simming.

They had that in the initial release thread. You have to use 'H' (carb heat) to avoid the carb icing. FSX bug, sorta. The fuel injected planes receive icing trouble too, but FSX handles the Lance as a carb engine and acts like that plus being very sensible.

On the piston Duke, they've mapped that feature to the fuel vent switches if I'm correct. It was suggested to use the alternate air switch on the Lance for doing the same. But 'H' will do, there's just no VC switch or something.

I don't have this addon but... Carb heat on... for takeoff? That kinda goes against everything I've ever learned. Carb heat costs RPM?

They had that in the initial release thread. You have to use 'H' (carb heat) to avoid the carb icing. FSX bug, sorta. The fuel injected planes receive icing trouble too, but FSX handles the Lance as a carb engine and acts like that plus being very sensible.

On the piston Duke, they've mapped that feature to the fuel vent switches if I'm correct. It was suggested to use the alternate air switch on the Lance for doing the same. But 'H' will do, there's just no VC switch or something.

Ah, okay.... That isn't in the manual, is it? Should be...! So I have to fly with 'carb heat on' all the time every time. Odd... but well, FSX has some odd oddities...

I don't have this addon but... Carb heat on... for takeoff? That kinda goes against everything I've ever learned. Carb heat costs RPM?

It's not actually carb heat: it's a trick to fool FSX. The Legacy doesn't have a carb heat in real life. I just went back to my flight and as soon as I hit H MP was up again! Thanks for the tip, CoolP! :wink:

Its an FSX bug. As you climb if the temp and percip are right, FSX will ice up the carb, even on a fuel injected engine. Pressing 'H' will solve this.

Under normal circumstances, you are quite correct.

Carb heat costs RPM

Right you are, but so does too strong and soon (sim) icing on the carb. As said, the first part is the carb icing over-sensitivity of FSX and the other one is how it handles fuel injected planes. As far as I can see, it doesn't care about carb or fuel injected differences. There's one piston engine model in place.

So I have to fly with 'carb heat on' all the time every time.

To avoid the bug, yes. One could develop the plane's FDE with a constant carb heat applied in mind, so you will never see the overstressed icing and still receive a normal power output. Well, with that, forgetting about 'H' gives you a too strong engine of course. That's the sim we use. :mellow:

Complete avoidance could come with running the engine parameters outside of the sim. As mentioned somewhere else, perhaps A2A pistons can do this.

Ah, okay.... That isn't in the manual, is it? Should be...! So I have to fly with 'carb heat on' all the time every time. Odd... but well, FSX has some odd oddities...

It's not actually carb heat: it's a trick to fool FSX. The Legacy doesn't have a carb heat in real life. I just went back to my flight and as soon as I hit H MP was up again! Thanks for the tip, CoolP! :wink:

Aaah I see so they've probably done something to make the aircraft performance right with carb heat on, or in a way where it makes no difference to rpm.

EDIT: As just answered by the folks who type faster than I can :)

I'm only interested because this aircraft is top of my list of next purchases. Now if only my girlfriend would give me my credit card back.

Thanks for the TIP, I was going to ask the same thing as Jeroen.

(I should probably write a small XML gauge to turn on carb heat.)

Now about the RXP GNS 430 or 530. They are expensive, especially when I want both on the GNS WAAS Unlimited Pack.

The question is. Are they worth it?

(After all I have spent several 100s on addons during the last couple days. )

Different topic on the RXP, Ramón. http://forum.avsim.n...ity-xp-gns-530/ In short, get one, test it within those 30 days and then decide. 50 bucks are somehow reasonable, the rest will always count as expensive or even nuts. Well, I was nuts. :lol:

Well, with that, forgetting about 'H' gives you a too strong engine of course. That's the sim we use. :mellow:

So (sorry if I am being stupid) you actually always HAVE to fly the Legacy with H pressed or you will get wrong performance...? I wonder why RealAir didn't simply turn carb on for the plane (without anyone knowing it): wouldn't that prevent quite some confusion? I clearly am not the only one surprised by this. :wink: Anyway, if that is so, bring on that xml gauge, Ramón! :wink:

And btw I am also spending way too much money on this hobby lately... :wink: The GNS 530 is downloading as I type.

you actually always HAVE to fly the Legacy with H pressed or you will get wrong performance...?

Good and vital question. I can't answer it but I guess it wasn't designed with the carb heat always on in mind. At least that's how I understood Rob. Perhaps he can help. The one or the other approach has it's downsides, unfortunately. No magic bullet available. :unsure:

The only plane I know with the carb heat thingy always on being necessary (to avoid a too strong engine) is the Milviz B55. Well, if you forget it, she climbs too good. Not a biggie. But the FDE was tuned for a proper performance with the 'bug fix' running.

One could add some xml gauge for the plane in use to always make sure this or that carb heat setting is automatically active. But don't ask me how that goes. I always press H when I need it or, on the Milviz, after starting the engines.

The MV dev said that the next SP may include an 'auto carb heat' initialization, so that's a step being rendered redundant in the future.

http://a2asimulation...3&view=previous

This is why when I find the time to reinstall FSX to the proper folder (no more under Programs(x86), probably the only non-jet add-ons that will be added to my hangar will be A2A's...

Sure Carenado, RealAir, etc... do excellent planes too (don't know Milviz yet...), but excuse me, when it comes to realism taken to the extreme (possible in MSFS) A2A rulez!!!

A pity they don't invest on civil prop aircraft more. We only have the Cub and that great B377...

Sometimes I believe A2A cooperated with MS FLIGHT... There models also model the effects of opening a door inflight, their Cub with tundra tires can also touch water surface on a short landing kust before terra firma... etc....

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

I always press H when I need

Think I'll do that too. :wink:

A pity they don't invest on civil prop aircraft more. We only have the Cub and that great B377...

I don't know if you had a look on the Aerosoft Katana yet. Not sure if she will fulfil all needs for you but you will receive a very, very detailed GA plane. A bit on the slow side of things in regard to the Lance, but since you praise the A2A concept and miss the GA perspective, it might be worth a look. And yes, she is icing too but has a lever for (carb) countermeasures and some failures for the rest.

Besides that, I repeat my sentence. Don't let some sim downsides ruin your fun.

Why dont you just create a gauge that activate H (switch on carb heat) on startup of the legacy. you dont know about it and it work a treat. all in background. and because it is setup for legacy only it work only when you use the legacy. I have seen this somewhere on AVSIM and dont know if it was in a legacy specific post (maybe it was for another plane, could be the B55).

Iwill see if i can find the link to it how to create such a gauge

I did create such a gauge and it work 100%.

Never ever have had the problem again with the legacy.