Sign in to follow this  
Taipan

Unrealistic nagtime for handoff and nag across frequencies

Hi Guys,

I'm having fun with RC4, and for the most part everything is perfect.

But handoff is a problem, especially when I'm trying to speak it as I want to keep it realistic and use this for RW practice. I'm using a speech program to interface with RC4.

Situation is:

1. Controller requests I contact Brisbane centre etc on X frequency.

2. I readback to the controller and start dialling in the frequency into my radio

3. I make the frequency active, so I'm definitely on the new frequency

4. The original controller then nags me while I'm still talking to the speech engine to initate contact with the new controller. There is not enough time to finish my initial contact speech.

Also how can he nag me if I'm not on his frequency any more?

The time he gives you, is only enough time acknowledge (using voice), and dial in the new frequency. Sometimes when he nags I'm already talking to the new controller.

I think these are two unrealistic things that could be easily fixed by changing a variable or allowing a user option.

It's unrealistic because

a) Controller nagging again through new frequency

b.) The timeframe allowed is based upon the user tapping a keyboard key. Where in real life the timeframe is based upon the pilot actually speaking and doing the actions. If I'm already talking to a speech engine to initiate contact, for RC to interupt and nag, requiring me to switch back frequencies again and re-ack, then switch again and contact is a big immersion killer.

Sure I know RC4 has no way of knowing we are talking to a speech engine because the engine doesn't send the key until we are finished speaking and let go of the push to talk button.

But it could workaround this limitation by allowing a realistic nag time on the handoff.

I know RC5 is on hold, but do you think there is the possibility of having a small fix or replacement file to address this handoff?

Alternatively how would I go about making the edit myself is there a file I can modify to achieve this increase in handoff nagtime?

Many thanks

It is true that RC is impatient. Before giving the ack, do you have the next frequency on standby in the com 1 radio?

Is MCE set up to ack and contact as two separate functions and not as a combined function available on the RC menu?

Otherwise dial in the frequency before acking. I think RC does not recognize the actual frequency you are on but I'm not sure as I let RC do the tuning as if I had a copilot (or PNF these days).

Yeah I always put the new freq into standby when he says it so I don't forget.

Once I push it into active, I am acking just before that.

Then with the new freq active I try to make contact.

Problem is that the time it takes to ack is enough for his nag time to run out.

I haven't used ack and contact, as I want to do them properly ie ack on old freq, contact on new freq.

Most of my IFR is with the Turbine Duke and Flight1 Mustang at the moment, so single pilot no PNF available, and I enjoy the interaction and extra choices I get by handling the comms myself.

All other nag time is ok, for example altitude etc is short but it's ok because it's only one menu item. I ack immediately while dialing in the new alt and heading. It's just the 2 stage and frequency change that has unreasonably short time...

Actually I'm wondering - if I turn off the pilot voice will that give me more time? Or does RC4 make the nag timer shorter if were not waiting for the pilot to finish speaking?

I do like the pilot speaking though, it kind of verifies if I'm speaking correctly.

Just tried that - it DOES give me more time without waiting for the pilot voice anymore. Getting better results now.

I might also play with the voice speed sliders, if I speed up the controller voice I might squeeze a little more time out of it.. Although it depends if the counter starts before controller talks, or after he is finished.

I think I'm alright to communicate well now. However a config option in the next version for time to reply will always be much appreciated.

Thanks for the help Ronzie.

Cheers

Hello

Many have asked for these times to be adjusted, to no avail

RC seems to be set up for folks who use pilot auto reply, tune on contact ect.

Those of us using hardware radios and handling the comms ourselves are a bit pushed for time to get everything done.

The nagging and overall impatient tone of RC gets tiresome after a while.

In the RC5 beta the time was increased for replying somewhat.

are you running at 2x or 4x?

jd

No, I fly at 16x

Just kidding :lol:

Definitely on 1x, but I can see how that would be worth checking

In the RC5 beta the time was increased for replying somewhat.

Hello,

I am sure that is very nice for everyone one the beta team but is not much consolation for those who are having problems now, we may never see V5

are you running at 2x or 4x?

Hello JD

I never use time acceleration, I always tune my radios (Goflight) myself I am also using Voice recognition to control RC and run into this issue quite often.

It would be really good if these timers could have the option to be relaxed a little, many times I am trying to dial in headings and altitudes on my Goflight MCP , handle the Radios ect, and the ATC is just a little impatient it seems

As V5 is so far off into the future it would be nice to have a 4.5 interim release to help out with this issue