Sign in to follow this  
styler360

And now what?

Hi all,

for me it has been - related to flight sims - the most surprising but also worst news ever heard. Flight has got the most important things, a Flight Sim must have. The phyiscs come very very close to reality combined with beautiful graphics at 60 fps constantly. But what am I talking ... its over, due to not being profitable. Really? There are much more players in multiplayer than in Wings of Prey, Cliffs of Dover, Apache, IL2 1946 together, not to speak about, X-Plane. So why can they afford it and Microsoft not? And after a long time of developement, why dropping this game after only 6 months? I would spend a lot of money, if I only could. I bought all the VC less crap, to support MS to build more, no matter what. Its only sad. So I am of for flying RL, but the weather is not always brilliant on weekends.

So I tried to find new alternatives.

I bought AeroflightFS, A10 Warthog, Wings of Prey, Cliffs of Dover, Rise of Flight (some of them I already have for quite some times).

What I was absolutely impressed of, were the graphics an the atmosphere of Wings of Prey, a game, now for not more than 10 bucks. Of yourse cliffs of dover is more realistic, but graphics are crap and stuttery. Wings of Prey are nailed to 60 fps with unbelievable good looking graphics. So I found myself fighting till late in the evening having great fun.

Than I wondered what this company also developed a found some good news and videos about War Thunder (formerly word of planes) which is in Beta now. They also have Hawaii there :-)

So I would appreciate to see some of us in the MP of Wings of Prey or War Thunder when it is released.

http://forum.gaijinent.com/index.php?/topic/9235-new-fan-video-top-secret-cbt-journal-3/

http://forum.gaijinent.com/index.php?/topic/8516-new-fan-video-tora-tora-tora/

PS: I have nothing to do with those sims, I am just searching for having fun in flying around in beautiful environment. I will miss Flight very much!

Hi styler,

the same to me! I also will miss Flight specially because it runs also smooth on my laptop, I had no CTDs like in FSX and because of the community which has built within Flights MP!

Last time I tried again all my installed sims (Aerofly FS, X-Plane10, FSX, Rise of Flight) but the only alternative is FSX. I have pimped it up with a lot of Addons (ORBX t.ex)... Some friends

from the Flights MP and I try now to built a group via game spy, but it's not the same... It's still a pity with Flight... :-(

Gesendet von meinem X10i mit Tapatalk 2

Cheers, Stephan

i7 4790K @4,6Ghz (102x45), ASUS Maximus VII Hero, 16GB Corsair Venegance 1866, Corsair WC H100i, Gigabyte GTX 780 OC, 3x SSD (Win7, FSX, P3D), Dell UHD 27'", Saitek Homecockpit

Same here... but I still hope for that secret additional DLC that we may find around the 25th August, who knows ?...

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Nothing to stop us from continuing to enjoy Flight for what it has, for now.

I know I am - I am sure at some point down the road I will eventually start using it less and less as I start using some of my other sims, mainly combat, and going through the learning curve with those, more and more.

But I do not see myself uninstalling Flight at all anytime in the foreseeable future.

I think more positive thinking in what we have in Flight instead of lamenting on the what we don't or will not have should be a morning mantra for some of us. Repeat after me:

Get the cache Get the cache. Good, relax, inhale and concentrate, "so much more left to see and do", exhale :lol:

C'mon Miss Flight when it's gone and you can't log in. Not a second sooner than that.

I see the " Back on topic now" is off to a good start. B)

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

How's that subway sim working out for you, Bob?

RIght now I am not an active simmer, as there are no flight sims/games (whutever!) I currently wish to play except for testing purposes. (Like the forums, though!!)

Yes, War thunder looks interesting, and maybe that will catch some eyes. I kind of have to laugh, though. I suspect that quite a few Flight related titles in other company's inventory's are breathing a sigh of relief at the exit of a potential 800 pound Gorilla in the form of Microsoft.

If they are smart, they will do a thing or two as a nod to the disenfranchised flight Alumni.

Whats next for me is going back to wishing that there was an active and modern civilian sim more about the joy of the act of flying, and less about various types of systems management. As far as Flight, It will be fascinating to see if we get a new plane, and what it turns out to be.

In the meanwhile, Bob is not the only one playing Subway and Train sims, now. ^_^

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

I discuss that on the forum that is associated with that topic.

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Maybe this is on topic:

There have been a lot of assumptions that Flight was canceled because it "failed in the market". I even saw Avweb's short blurb with the line:, "The market has spoken."

But, wait a moment. As far as I know, Microsoft has not, repeat not, released any sales figures. Nor have they said that Flight was canceled because of low sales or market rejection.

So, why does everybody assume this? Perhaps a lot of it is uninformed opinion. Maybe some is wishful thinking, idle speculation, or even malicious gossip.

Here is what we do know:

1. Joshua Howard, in his first few public comments ("interviews") indicated that Flight was meeting sales projections. He gave no figures, however.

2. In the Beta Discussion Group, a few team members repeatedly claimed that the airplanes without cockpits were selling well. Yes, that's right, the airplanes without cockpits.

3. Flight was consistently within the top 5 most played titles in the Games for Windows Live network. It was number 2 at release. I haven't seen the latest ranking, but it would be interesting to see now that the game has been canceled.

So, all that we know is that the title was canceled. We do not, repeat not, know if that was because of poor sales, or for some other reason.

Now, you all may remember that ACES was closed down five years ago, not because FS X sold poorly or was rejected by the market, but because of company-wide cost-cutting measures. As soon as things got better, another flight title (Microsoft Flight) was launched.

And we know that recently, Microsoft has written multi-billions of dollars off its books because of a worthless acquisition. Could it be that this has led to more cost-cutting measures and that Flight was one of the victims?

I am as uninformed as everybody else, and do not know why Flight was canceled. But, from what we do know, nothing indicates that the title did poorly in the market or lost money. We just don't know.

There have also been some people looking for a scapegoat who have blamed Joshua for everything. Nobody, however, has indicated precisely what he did or what management decisions he made that led to the failure of the title, nor has anybody given concrete figures on revenue lost because of such imagined decisions. This seems to be particularly malicious and an unsubstantiated attack on Joshua. If anybody has specific and concrete information on this, they have not revealed it here.

So, perhaps we can now start to calm down and look at what has happened without imagining things that are not necessarily true, or that at least have not been demonstrated.

Best regards.

Luis

Maybe this is on topic:

There have been a lot of assumptions that Flight was canceled because it "failed in the market". I even saw Avweb's short blurb with the line:, "The market has spoken."

But, wait a moment. As far as I know, Microsoft has not, repeat not, released any sales figures. Nor have they said that Flight was canceled because of low sales or market rejection.

So, why does everybody assume this? Perhaps a lot of it is uninformed opinion. Maybe some is wishful thinking, idle speculation, or even malicious gossip.

Here is what we do know:

1. Joshua Howard, in his first few public comments ("interviews") indicated that Flight was meeting sales projections. He gave no figures, however.

2. In the Beta Discussion Group, a few team members repeatedly claimed that the airplanes without cockpits were selling well. Yes, that's right, the airplanes without cockpits.

3. Flight was consistently within the top 5 most played titles in the Games for Windows Live network. It was number 2 at release. I haven't seen the latest ranking, but it would be interesting to see now that the game has been canceled.

So, all that we know is that the title was canceled. We do not, repeat not, know if that was because of poor sales, or for some other reason.

Now, you all may remember that ACES was closed down five years ago, not because FS X sold poorly or was rejected by the market, but because of company-wide cost-cutting measures. As soon as things got better, another flight title (Microsoft Flight) was launched.

And we know that recently, Microsoft has written multi-billions of dollars off its books because of a worthless acquisition. Could it be that this has led to more cost-cutting measures and that Flight was one of the victims?

I am as uninformed as everybody else, and do not know why Flight was canceled. But, from what we do know, nothing indicates that the title did poorly in the market or lost money. We just don't know.

There have also been some people looking for a scapegoat who have blamed Joshua for everything. Nobody, however, has indicated precisely what he did or what management decisions he made that led to the failure of the title, nor has anybody given concrete figures on revenue lost because of such imagined decisions. This seems to be particularly malicious and an unsubstantiated attack on Joshua. If anybody has specific and concrete information on this, they have not revealed it here.

So, perhaps we can now start to calm down and look at what has happened without imagining things that are not necessarily true, or that at least have not been demonstrated.

Best regards.

Luis

I agree, the wild speculation on this forum regarding Flight and why it was discontinued , without one ounce of proof from anyone, boggles the mind. I worked for a very large Japanese Company for years, and many times they would discontinue a product that was selling well, and never gave a reason why this was done. It actual reason was only know by the upper management. I'm sure it was the same with MS in this situation. Don't think too many upper management MS folks are contributing to any of these discussion on this forum .

... or... even better, simply forget about it and keep using what remained and is still a very enjoyable flight simulator.

How many still keep FlightUnlimited, Propilot, ESP Protrainer, etc...? They stagnated long ago, but are still very appealing... FLIGHT is too...

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

As far as I know, Microsoft has not, repeat not, released any sales figures.

Flight dropped (rapidly) out of the Steam Top 100 within a few weeks of it becoming available on Steam, and stayed out. If you look at the titles in the upper 90's on Steam's Top 100, they are tiny niche products with miniscule user bases. But they had more players than Flight. That alone strongly indicates Flight simply wasn't selling, at least, not in numbers that matter.

GFWL, on the other hand, has comparatively few titles even available, so rankings there don't mean much.

How many still keep FlightUnlimited

I still fly FU on occasion. I still enjoy the hoops courses, and working to get good scores flying the aerobatics lessons. But, both FU and FU2 look much better with the old Diamond Monster 4 meg addon graphics card, which I no longer have.

Flight dropped (rapidly) out of the Steam Top 100 within a few weeks of it becoming available on Steam, and stayed out. If you look at the titles in the upper 90's on Steam's Top 100, they are tiny niche products with miniscule user bases. But they had more players than Flight. That alone strongly indicates Flight simply wasn't selling, at least, not in numbers that matter.

GFWL, on the other hand, has comparatively few titles even available, so rankings there don't mean much.

+1 EXACTLY

But of course Howard nor MS will ever admit that Flight was possibly a huge financial flop.

Blake