Sign in to follow this  
jcomm

The problem with non-FLIGHT, non-ELITE simulators...

is the amount you suddenly notice you're going to start spending on it, both money-wise, but also time-wise and, above all, stress-wise, and the inverse regarding "flight"-wise...

In just one week, since I bought and installed FSX Gold, and starting a few days earlier when I got mad at the unexpected fate of MS FLIGHT, I found myself spending way too much time searching the net for tweaks, products, solutions for this and that, instead of enjoying "flight"... It's so familiar that it makes me feel terrible at the same time that I admire the many positive aspects of other MSFS-like sims, and FSX itself.

I really don't want to get into this addiction again, so, today, almost two weeks after the "catastrophe", I restarted hunting Aerocaches, and all of a sudden felt the pleasure, the easyness, the smoothness of loading MS FLIGHT and play for a while, just as I do with ELITE for a short / medium range IFR flight across the Iberian Peninsula. There is nothing to tweak - all of the time is available just for fun, for simulating FLIGHT, instead of seeking for additional gauges, fancy tricks and configurations, and really getting tired of it, even if this turn around I have mostly played only with the Settings sliders in FSX!!! Should I have decided to go ahead and buy Xplane, or Prepar3d, and I would certainly be in the very same boat - lost in thousands of pages with extremely important info on how to make your sim an even better experience - problem is, to experience when?

Oh My Dear MS FLIGHT!!! Oh My!!!!!

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Whew, when I saw this new thread of yours, I just knew I was going to see where you have uninstalled it again...

Have fun with Flight!

Once addicted to FSX, it takes a lot to go "Cold Turkey"

cold-turkey.jpg

But yes, if you load your Turkey up, with too many additives/addons, you will end up NOT doing much flying.

large_Turkey-vulture.JPG

"Most domestic turkeys are so heavy they are unable to fly."

Whew, when I saw this new thread of yours, I just knew I was going to see where you have uninstalled it again...

Have fun with Flight!

I won't, until something really worth the install comes to life, or I really need the space in the disk, but certainly not for add-ons for FSX. FSX will also stay, with just a couple of good add-ons, default scenery, probably default weather as well - I have ELITE for a unique parsing of RW Metar data, even if the rendering is graphically very poor, and in MS FLIGHT I have to stick with weather themes too :-), so, why not use them in FSX and enjoy?

P.S.: My last MS FLIGHT uninstall was a very strong reaction against MS's decision. I had just bought the Cub pit and was dreaming of the next DLC and those future enhancements to the Weather announced on a recent interview with some mmber of the MS FLIGHt team - not Joshua.....

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

The fact is, that with a good current technology PC, you do not need to do any tweaking of FSX to speak of.

Most of the published tweaks are totally unnecessary.

Just set the desired graphics with nvidia inspector, and go fly.

The most overlooked piece of tweaking advice, is to delete the fsx.cfg file after fiddling with all the settings,

and start with a clean version!

Bert

The fact is, that with a good current technology PC, you do not need to do any tweaking of FSX to speak of.

Most of the published tweaks are totally unnecessary.

Just set the desired graphics with nvidia inspector, and go fly.

The most overlooked piece of tweaking advice, is to delete the fsx.cfg file after fiddling with all the settings,

and start with a clean version!

That's true, and pretty much what I had the chance to experiment with my fresh install on my MS FLIGHT-built rig. I just used the default sliders!!! Well, and a web page that massaged my fsx.cfg, but then when I tried to install my old add-ons, problems started... reading started, browsing for solutions started, browsing for - whow this aircraft looks great!!! whata about that scenery? and that weather injector there???? and.... Well, you know.... €€€€€€€€ I'm glad I only spent less than €30 on FSX Gold. I'll enjoy it, if I can, trying to use as much as possible as I use MS FLIGHT... But it has no Aerocaches, not really that feel of being there, and... if the instruments/systems are what I am looking after, then ELITE, sorry, does a much better job :-/

Main Simulation Rig:

I'll bet Word Not Allowed would disagree with you. :)

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/370594-read-before-posting-software-hardware-guide-for-fsx/

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

if the instruments/systems are what I am looking after, then ELITE, sorry, does a much better job :-/

What kind of airplane do you like to fly?

The RealAir Scout or Legacy are pretty darn complete and well equipped aircraft..

Bert

What kind of airplane do you like to fly?

They certainly are, and A2A's models as well. Those, together with the Aerosoft Katana 4x, and my good-old LevelD767, are probably going to be the only add-ons in my hangar... But flying them will not be closer to real as it is in ELITE, regarding the use of performance tables, the simulation of turboprops, the simulation of engine failure scenarios on twin props (Xplane is certainly closer to real than FSX in this particular area..., ELITE shines...), the simulation of an autopilot and flight director that act exactly like their real counterparts, the integration of METAR data from nearby stations, the simulation of icing effects - certainly not the carb ice bug in fsx, and I know FSUIPC can fix it....

Now, I like to fly gliders for real, an I am almost sure a glider in MS FLIGHT could probably be closer to real than in MSFS, and I have the DiscusX from Aerosoft - not bad, but ... it's MSFS former FDM behind it...

Main Simulation Rig:

You know, I can't believe another thread like this. I am going to say something that will probably get me banned from this forum, but at this point I really don't give a darn anymore. What the heck is wrong with you Jcomm? The admin has begged an pleaded with people contributing to this forum to confine the discussion to Flight and stop with the comparisons that have gone on for week after week after week, ad naseum, many of them started by you!!!!

You just don't get it, and I don't think you ever will!!!! You must be a trip in the cockpit...... you have a head like a cement block, apparently.

Why don't you try reading this about 20+ times and see if you can comprehend what it is saying...

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/381438-back-on-topic-now/#entry2433989

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

You must be a trip in the cockpit...... you have a head like a cement block, apparently.

Hello

I thought you were off driving a train or something.

Speaking for myself, I enjoy jcomms posts, he is at least open minded and his enthusiasm shines through whatever the sim he is using at the time.

I honestly don't see a problem in somebody talking about reasons they prefer Flight over other sims in the Flight Forum.

Yes, some of the followup posts wandered into realms better dealt with in the forums for those sims, but still, that is little reason to blow up.

It's not that hard to scroll past a post that doesn't interest you... I'm sure people do it to mine all the time...

<snip>

Speaking for myself, I enjoy jcomms posts, he is at least open minded and his enthusiasm shines through whatever the sim he is using at the time.

I honestly don't see a problem in somebody talking about reasons they prefer Flight over other sims in the Flight Forum.

I agree with both of You; Jose is being honest and open minded. His enthusiasm over whatever he is using is contagious.

During the last few days, I have also gone back to FXS and spent a lot of money ($$$) on addons. But, I am spending more time tweaking, creating my own scenery/panels and optimizing, than flying. (Geoff's comment is spot on!)

Eventually the Flight magic will come back for me and probably, I will enjoy it like I used to; since February 5th until its demise.

You know, I can't believe another thread like this. I am going to say something that will probably get me banned from this forum, but at this point I really don't give a darn anymore. What the heck is wrong with you Jcomm?

<snip>

You just don't get it, and I don't think you ever will!!!! You must be a trip in the cockpit...... you have a head like a cement block, apparently.

Bob; chill out, there’s no need to get offensive. After all, there is not much else to talk about Flight. Or am I missing something new and exiting?

Hang in there Jose, I also injoy your posts., don't ever change. You often say what I am thinking but much more eloquently.

Steve