Sign in to follow this  
Chocorua

Flight.CFG file: Terrain LODRadius setting

Hi,

I'm attempting to change the [Terrain] LODRadius=3.5 to something else (like 4.5) in the Flight.CFG file, but after making the change and running Flight, it reverts right back. Has anyone had success at making changes to the file and having them stick? It seems as though the 'Cloud' has control. Or this dark colored IPA is kicking my brain around.

Thanks for reading,

i7-9700K, MSI Z370, PNY 4070 Super, GTX 750Ti, 32GB GSkill, 43" curved Samsung, 32" BenQ, 11" LED, RealSImGear GTN750, Win10,

P3DV5.4/P3DV6 and MSFS, several GoFlight modules, Saitek radio, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Virtual Fly TQ6.

In the Flight.cfg file, look under configuration, there you will see a line that says " custom = 0".

You need to change that 0 to a 1 and save.

Then your changes you make in the flight.cfg file will stick, and graphics settings in the game gui will be greyed out.

I would also add, you should make a backup of the original cfg file to have just in case...

Thanks a lot Don, that did it. Don't know how I missed that one.

Cheers,

i7-9700K, MSI Z370, PNY 4070 Super, GTX 750Ti, 32GB GSkill, 43" curved Samsung, 32" BenQ, 11" LED, RealSImGear GTN750, Win10,

P3DV5.4/P3DV6 and MSFS, several GoFlight modules, Saitek radio, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Virtual Fly TQ6.

You are very welcome, they added that option in one of the title updates to allow finer user control of graphics settings by overiding the ingame settings.

I would add that the general consensus so far seems to be that the game is so well balanced as is, that most people report worse performance when fiddling with things.......

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

I find that LODRadius=4.5 looks quite a bit better than the default 3.5, basically moving the blurry textures much further away with no effect on performance. 6.5 is incredible, but the scenery loads much slower.

It's so nice that we all get to choose whether to fiddle or not...

cheers,

In spite of the enormous problems that tweaking has created in the past, the developers have always chosen to let the user decide what he wants to do.

I have not bothered to change anything, except to eliminate the Destination Marker, and LOD 3.5 is reportedly greater than 4.5 in FS X (at least, I think that one of the devs mentioned that), but if you like it and still get good performance, then that is your gain. Good for you. :smile:

Best regards.

Luis

LOD 3.5 is reportedly greater than 4.5 in FS X

True. Saw it in a dev post on steam..I upped my LOD by 1 and can confirm it makes a difference, especially when flying low'n'slow..Coupled with a tiny bit of tweaking of the various shadow and detail settings in the cfg and it's like I've flipped a switch and got a graphics update!

I find it's the shadows that kill my machine for some reason...

JAKE EYRE
It's a small step from the sublime to the ridiculous...Napoleon Bonaparte
newSigBetaTeam.gif
lancairuk.jpg

True. Saw it in a dev post on steam..I upped my LOD by 1 and can confirm it makes a difference, especially when flying low'n'slow..Coupled with a tiny bit of tweaking of the various shadow and detail settings in the cfg and it's like I've flipped a switch and got a graphics update!

I find it's the shadows that kill my machine for some reason...

Can you tell us what the tweaks are, so we can get a tweaking lesson for Flight? Just like FSX, tweaking lessons are great in Flight!

LOD 3.5 is reportedly greater than 4.5 in FS X (at least, I think that one of the devs mentioned that)

That is interesting, as I use 6.5 in FSX and find it the sweet spot regarding scenery texture displays. Are you saying a lower figure is more demanding than a higher one?

That is interesting, as I use 6.5 in FSX and find it the sweet spot regarding scenery texture displays. Are you saying a lower figure is more demanding than a higher one?

No, I'm sure the higher number is the further out you see the more detail, and therefore requires more PC cruching power to run. I think the MS Flight dev was saying the scales for FSX and Flight are different and 3.5 in Flight in actually something greater than 4.5 in FSX if compared directly.

Ray

When Pigs Fly . Ray Marshall .

Excuse me, Greg, I was not very clear, was I? LOD 3.5 in Microsoft Flight loads more high resolution ground textures than LOD 4.5 in Flight Simulator X.

The developers increased the resolution of distant terrain in Flight, I imagine because they wrote new code for graphics display that would allow for better performance overall.

Best regards.

Luis

OK, that makes sense now and thank you for clarifying!

cheers all,

I did LOD 4.5, loading time was 5 secs slower than LOD 3.5. Then I tried LOD 5.5 and it was 2 minutes slower than LOD 3.5. Seems like 4.5 is the ideal LOD.

I just tried 6.5 LOD and while it doesn't really slow down loading the scenery by much, it seems to limit my FPS at 30 instead of 60...

I saying it's self limiting because it runs at 30fps no matter where I am or what I'm looking at. Note that I use triple buffers to avoid this so I'm not sure what setting in flight.cfg to change to undo this limit. (If indeed it's FLIGHT doing the limiting ;) )

UPDATE: Fixed. Had to remove the VSynch from FLIGHT and only use D3DOverrider to vsynch + triple buffer.

Turns out that 6.5 lowered my FPS from 120+ to around 50 ;). Switched to 5.5 and now all is well at 60 everywhere.

LOD makes a very nice difference I must admit.