Sign in to follow this  
Bodybag2224

Interested in X-Plane

Hi there, new face on the forums here, but I've used this site for god knows how long for FS downloads.

Let me cut to the chase. I'm getting back into my flight simming ever since I built a great computer that can run things flawlessly. I have FSX and I've enjoyed it and all the previous titles. However, I've seen X-Plane and with MS cutting future FS games I'm wondering if I should step into this world of flight simming.

I would like to know some of the pro's and cons of the gameplay between the two. I enjoy airline simming and all the little real world details that go into commercial jet operations. Would X-Plane provide a better experience as a base game or with pay/free ware then I can achieve with FSX and add-ons, specifically with regards to commercial jet simulation.

I thank you in advance for anyone that posts and can give me a clearer picture of this "mysterious" X-Plane. :)

Hello,

Have you downloaded the XPX demo? My main recommendation would be to do that and play with it for a while. I did that for quite a long time and even bought some Carenado planes for it, too, before purchasing.

XPX and FSX compliment each other quite nicely. If you could combine their strengths, we'd have one amazing flight simulator. Instead we are left with two flawed but entertaining sims.

My biggest advice to you though is not to judge XPX on the default planes, even more so than on FSX. This is why I bought some addons with the demo because I was in shock with the flight models on the built-in planes and couldn't believe anyone could say it was a good simulation based on that. Luckily, after trying some payware addons, I can indeed say it's a good sim with weaknesses and strengths.

I do agree XPX has the feel down well, especially noticeable during approaches and traffic pattern in small planes, planes have a good flying sensation. FSX can feel a bit more stable. On the other side of the fence, I think XPX can feel _too_ unstable at times, especially during taxiing and in clouds. For example, XPX thinks the marine layer in southern California is akin to flying through thunder clouds and knocks my Bonanza around with gusts of 1000fpm. Mmmhmmm.

Engine modeling seems much better than FSX. It's interesting comparing Carenado's planes in both simulators. On the other side I think XPX planes seem to fly like a brick when cutting power on final.

Lighting is amazing and the sky at times looks amazing. On the other hand, XPX's 3D clouds can't replicate all types of clouds too well. Again, I fly around San Diego mostly since that's where I live and it constantly makes San Diego look like it's covered in dark gray rain clouds instead of the white thin layer of marine fog and strata-whatever clouds we get (My cloud naming isn't 100% yet!)

Ironically, I think XPX gets the feel of low and slow down much better than FSX while FSX I enjoy their airliners BUT, and here's the irony, the man-made environment of XPX is completely lacking and impossible to fly by. San Diego in XPX does not look anything like San Diego so trying to fly by "go out to the Soledad Cross, then to the Temple and when making your pattern, go around the stadium" is just not possible. That said, at night time, this goes away since most of those are not visible anyway. Instead, at night, you go by roads which XPX does a brilliant job at. Currently, I find the airport lights way too dim but if they get fixed XPX at night will be just about perfect.

Let's see, what else. Don't expect much air traffic or a usable VFR ATC, either.

Anyway, I am not meaning to be too negative but I want to share the issues I have with it in comparison to FSX since you are familiar with it. I am glad I purchased XPX: it's actively developed and when it comes together it comes together amazingly well. As I said, try out the demo and get comfortable with what it has to offer.

I totally didn't know that you could buy addons with the demo. I will have to try one from Carenado and see, because to be honest I detest the default planes also, almost killed the demo for me.

But then again, FSX default kills FSX for me also. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To me, X-Plane isn't even close to FSX, it seems like X-Plane is from the FS2002 era, again this is my opinion only, I'm sure there are folks who will say X-Plane is the best thing since oxygen, but I like FSX hands down

my fs9 setup looks better than my xpx setup :Shocked: ................stay with fsx or give fs9 a try again with payware.

To me, X-Plane isn't even close to FSX, it seems like X-Plane is from the FS2002 era, again this is my opinion only, I'm sure there are folks who will say X-Plane is the best thing since oxygen, but I like FSX hands down

my fs9 setup looks better than my xpx setup :Shocked: ................stay with fsx or give fs9 a try again with payware.

I don't remember FS2002, FS9 or FSX looking anything like this...

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/381665-another-incredible-video/

I totally didn't know that you could buy addons with the demo. I will have to try one from Carenado and see, because to be honest I detest the default planes also, almost killed the demo for me.

But then again, FSX default kills FSX for me also. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yup! The demo is the full program just with a time limit and a limited area of environment. My feeling was, it was worth to try a $30 addon with it -- if I enjoyed it, I'd have bought the plane anyway and if not, it's cheaper than $80 for the full program! :)

To the others: I hope we can keep this informative and not combative. They're hobby programs for, well, fun. :)

You know I've seen videos like that too, but I tried the X-Plane Demo and never got the graphics to look that way, I tried to navigate the hellish settings but gave up when I thought no way this can ever look as good as FS9 or FSX, plus it had terrible framerates on my PC, once again this is my opinion only,YMMV

You know I've seen videos like that too, but I tried the X-Plane Demo and never got the graphics to look that way, I tried to navigate the hellish settings but gave up when I thought no way this can ever look as good as FS9 or FSX, plus it had terrible framerates on my PC, once again this is my opinion only,YMMV

It's quite easy to navigate the UI. Especially now that it's been improved.

I'm sure there are plenty of people to help you if you have issues. You just need to understand that the settings are not "hellish". Just different.

You're hardware is probably the most likely culprit with your performance issues.

I don't remember FS2002, FS9 or FSX looking anything like this...

http://forum.avsim.n...credible-video/

that's xpx running on a NASA computer :lol: or an i10 7.0ghz CPU that can only be found on the planet Krypton :lol: ...........by the way i have put over $1000 into payware addons for fs9 and it does look better than xpx. I own xpx and can't stand the empty airports and cities. XPX will require much more than $1000 in payware for people to truly get a feeling of flying over a populated world. Planes land in airports, not on roads and highways.

What is "XPX" ? :wacko:

I'm using X-Plane 10 on a Intel Core 2 / GeForce 8800GT system. It's the kind of computer not able to run FSX with one add-on without becoming a slide show or looking horrible (like software from the past century). I also have FS2004 with many add-ons, but I switched to X-Plane 9 because it was a lot better.

There's one point where I agree: I'm also appreciating a populated world with buildings, airports, nice textures, and not only highways.

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/363752-vfr-test-flight/

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/368108-sbach-300-xtreme-fun/

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/364546-vfr-to-nancy/

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/378344-flying-around-hawaii-with-the-sequoia-falco/

Have disagree with some of this too. There are areas of xplane 10 that look way better than fsx or fs9 (mountain areas, rural-last I looked the majority of what the world offers) and even better in some areas than fsx with some incredible add ins. The cities,buildings, landmarks, and airport environments)-yes-fsx has and edge and maybe even fs9 presently. As for performance-hands down xplane-and no blurries ever-this on a 3 year old computer.

As mentioned-there is a demo-how nice to be able to get that for free and get a good idea of what it offers.

Does Xplane 10 suffer from the infamous microstutter issue that plagues so many FSX users?

Knowing what I know now I would download the demo and patch latest beta release or wait til the latest Demo release candidate is out. This latest beta patch has improved xplane 10 remarkably. The UI is more intuitive and as others have shown the graphics will surprise you. The default baron has been tweaked and 3rd party add-ons are added daily.

Does Xplane 10 suffer from the infamous microstutter issue that plagues so many FSX users?

If you're talking about the stutters in the gauge animation and glass displays, no. X Plane does not have those at all. It's actually one of the features that set x plane apart from FSX.