Sign in to follow this  
jwhitt78

Lancair Legacy VC Paintkit?

Thanks for the reply Ron, but I am looking for a paintkit for the cockpit. I have the paintkit off the website but there is nothing in there for the cockpit. I have seen the work you have done and must say WOW! Your stuff is what has sparked my wanting to do my own. I suppose you probably made your own paintkit for the cockpit and if so, hats off to you sir.

Thanks

Jeff

Actually I'm the one doing VC repaints.. Yes I made my own paintkit but currently it's not very organized and probably would make little to no sense to anyone else looking at it but to me it reads like English.. I was going to make a public paint kit but I'm finding myself adjusting the brightness and contrast of certain areas so much I can't come up with a "uniform" base to use as an overlay.

The night lighting also makes it complicated. I have Photoshop light rendering presets and a layer group for each night VC and can fly through the 3 textures adding proper night effects in 2 minutes..

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

Ah my apologies Bill and thanks for your reply. Now I reread the other posts and see yes it was you. Ron did the exterior that looks Fantastic. I would love to learn how you did this and if you are in anyway willing to share your "kit", I would love the opportunity to play with it. I understand what you say about it not making sense to much of anyone else however I have always loved seeing how someone did something and learning from it. I would also understand if you were not willing to share as you have a great talent and may want to keep that secret. Either way I am not looking to copy your work, simply looking to learn and design my own for my personal use.

Thanks

Jeff

Ah my apologies Bill and thanks for your reply. Now I reread the other posts and see yes it was you. Ron did the exterior that looks Fantastic. I would love to learn how you did this and if you are in anyway willing to share your "kit", I would love the opportunity to play with it. I understand what you say about it not making sense to much of anyone else however I have always loved seeing how someone did something and learning from it. I would also understand if you were not willing to share as you have a great talent and may want to keep that secret. Either way I am not looking to copy your work, simply looking to learn and design my own for my personal use.

Thanks

Jeff

This line is why I always share everything I do and help as much as I can.. I never liked, nor agreed with this philosophy some people have. No one benefits from hoarding information, techniques or assets for themselves. When I out right quit and left the train simulator community I had about 20-25 files consisting of repaints, modifications and tweaks to Train Simulator 2012 that I no longer wanted to deal with or in my name so I gave complete ownership of all my work to the first person who chimed in.. A guy named Merlin75 said he'd take them and the next day they were all in his name. This is a hobby, not a business or a racketeering ring.. I believe in sharing everything. :lol:

Here, I cleaned the main three VC PSDs up a good deal. Some layers are still not named but if you understand how paintkits work at all it should be self explanatory how this is laid out. This should get you in the right direction. The Night Lighting group in VC1 will seem strange so if you get to the part of painting that requires night textures give me a hollar.. VC2 and VC3 are simple and you can just darken the entire texture by about -135/-140. VC1 requires (I should say it's easier to) completed black out some of the items before throwing around light renders.. It's odd.. :) VC2 is the sloppiest in general w/ some of the layering.. Still workable though. :)

Lancair Legacy VC Paintkit

Enjoy

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

Bill, Thank you so much for this. I agree with you 100% sir. I will be checking this out and learning soon. I will let you know when I get to the night lighting in VC1 and again thanks for the help.

Ok Bill, I have done VC2 & VC3 night textures easy enough like you said. I am now on VC1 night texture. I see where you have parts "blanked out" in the Night group. I can't figure out though the actual lighting. So far the paint kit is fairly self explanatory with a few tweaks (mixture and prop knobs etc.). I did have fun pulling the swoosh out but managed to figure it out once I found which layer(s) it was in lol.

Thanks Again

Ok Bill, I have done VC2 & VC3 night textures easy enough like you said. I am now on VC1 night texture. I see where you have parts "blanked out" in the Night group. I can't figure out though the actual lighting. So far the paint kit is fairly self explanatory with a few tweaks (mixture and prop knobs etc.). I did have fun pulling the swoosh out but managed to figure it out once I found which layer(s) it was in lol.

Thanks Again

Awesome.. Glad you worked out that swoosh I badly mixed in. HA! Hey worked for me so.

As for the night lighting on VC1. If you're using Photoshop you have to use Filter/Render lights..

http://www.mediafire...nt3ohdw8i2qo8vl

^ That's my VC1 light render preset.. Drop that in /users/appdata/roaming/adobe/Plugins/Adobe Lighting Effects CS5/Photoshop/Lighting Styles/

If that path doesn't exist just open PS, go to Filter/Render/Lighting effects and save a custom preset.. Your path may be a little different if using a version different from CS5

Open VC1, get it ready for night lights and once ready press CTRL-ALT-SHIFT-E (makes 1 new layer combining all open layers. Best shortcut ever), make sure the layer is at the top, darken new layer by about 40ish, flip it vertical, open the light render filter and pick the VC1 preset.. It should look like this now. (my preset name is styckx but I renamed it VC1 after this shot to send to you)

iJa28.jpg

Hit ok, reflip it vertical and save it as your night texture.. I'm sure there is some other crafty way to pull it off but to me this is the only correct way to do it so it looks realistic.

Ok Bill, I have finally had the time to play and everything is working out great. I still have a little playing to do with the night textures to get it just right with the light colors but it is going great. Here are a couple of pics of what I have been working on and again THANK YOU sooooo much.

QAUGMl.jpg

57DnXl.jpg

nN4rOl.png