Sign in to follow this  
Air France

VLC within FSX?

Hi,

Is there a way to have VLC withing FSX so I can watch movies and TV? Also will it hurt my FSX performance? Thanks!

You mean the video player? Well, if you run FSX windowed, you can easily run other soft. I'm doing exactly that with the browsing, flash videos or some normal video, yes.

Turn it off on the approach, ok? ^_^ Ok, you can keep Top Gun running if you like.

I forgot to say that the fullscreen mode of FSX may develop some trouble on the sheer Alt-Tab action. Some addons may do too. But I never really tried much in that mode, I have FSX in a window.

The performance impact may not be noticeable, at least in cruise flight. Well, depends on the system, but some video file isn't hard for a modern card, even in HD. And if the sim runs some 30 fps locked and you start a video, you may not notice any downside.

I'd say try it and see if it affects the fps or even stability in a way. I guess not, but you never know all the systems.

So I opened VLC and started playing a video stream and 5 min later I got FSX (Not Responding)............

Well, all I can say is that it doesn't happen by design. So VLC itself and FSX play well together, it's running here more than a few times.

What's your system and drivers? VLC supports some GPU acceleration for example (can be turned off if needed), perhaps it interferes in any way. Just guessing. Did you try another player like the one from Windows itself? Just to check.

Well, you can also avoid watching the stuff of course or use a second PC or tablet. That's the cleanest solution but, from the concept, watching this and that and using FSX works. As said, me is a multi-window flyer/user/surfer.

No because VLC is the only program that can stream the video I play....What do you think I should do?

I see. Well, I still think there should be some alternatives to VLC when it comes to streaming. However, one would have to ask for the cause of FSX not responding after 5min. So what's your system, your OS and so on? Is FSX running fullscreen or in a window?

For testing, try VLC with and without the GPU acceleration.

You can check the Windows event log, perhaps there's an entry stating which module failed as FSX froze. Bit of a needle in a haystack, I know. Well, the drivers for your graphic card are always a good start too. Hence the question on your system details.

I see. Well, I still think there should be some alternatives to VLC when it comes to streaming. However, one would have to ask for the cause of FSX not responding after 5min. So what's your system, your OS and so on? Is FSX running fullscreen or in a window?

For testing, try VLC with and without the GPU acceleration.

You can check the Windows event log, perhaps there's an entry stating which module failed as FSX froze. Bit of a needle in a haystack, I know. Well, the drivers for your graphic card are always a good start too. Hence the question on your system details.

FSX runing in Window mode....Windows 7 64 Bit. VLC GPU acceleration is already un checked.