Sign in to follow this  
Walt90

XP10 and Windows 8 Preview

Anyone tried XP10 with Windows 8 Preview?

Considering the new upgrade pricing, I plan to update Vista64 this Fall.

Thanks, I may have to look at that. After seeing several Windows 8 reviews and the dislike for "Metro UI", I may have to look at Windows 7 or Linux.

I'm recommending another operating system: GNU/Linux, upgrade pricing and performance are better.

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/362799-x-plane-10-performance-comparison-window-vs-linux/

But isn't it true that certain 3rd party aircraft don't work under Linux? That's a major deal breaker. I really like Linux, have been dual booting it for years and years. However as long as the gaming part of Linux remains such a head ache I can't see it as my permanent alternative.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Richard

7950x3d   |   32Gb 6000mHz RAM   |   8Tb NVme   |   RTX 4090    |    MSFS    |    P3D    |      XP12  

Although I actually had no issues with Vista during it's run, I moved up to Windows 7 and never looked back. Windows 7 feels like it's going to have a nice, long lifespan like Windows XP, and even if you are having a good Vista experience, I can wholeheartedly recommend W7.

Windows 8 is too much of an unknown quantity for me right now. I'm sure it'll be "fine", but I don't know what it brings to the table and whether or not it's worth waiting for.

Linux takes a bit of an adventurous spirit - much like X-Plane! It can be very rewarding in the right hands, but also a bit unforgiving, if not "different", than what you might be used to.

-Greg

But isn't it true that certain 3rd party aircraft don't work under Linux?

A minority of add-ons are not available under GNU/Linux, that's true. But most good add-ons are available for the 3 operating systems, and some of them have also been developed under GNU/Linux and free software like Blender.

I prefer missing a few add-ons than booting Windows. :wink2:

Although I actually had no issues with Vista during it's run, I moved up to Windows 7 and never looked back. Windows 7 feels like it's going to have a nice, long lifespan like Windows XP, and even if you are having a good Vista experience, I can wholeheartedly recommend W7.

Agreed, I think that win7 will be similar to XP. It will be clung on to and win 8 will not have the same adoption. Especially in the corporate sector.

While I like Linux and a variety of unix in general I wouldn't recommend it to average Joe without knowing what other software they rely on.

Win8 and it's metro UI are great for the new market of PC that is coming to replace most laptops and PCs, the tablet. MS has almost aimed the new OS at that segment of the populace. It's almost like they figure the age of the mouse and keyboard is out and the touchscreen is there. I dislike it completely and will stick to my Win7.

Vista to Win7, using a 4GB RAM system, task manager reported Vista using 2-2.5GB just after boot with no additional apps running besides windows, just after installing fresh OS and drivers. Win7 reported 1-1.5GB. Much less memory hungry OS, meaning more for your apps to enjoy. The speed of the programs is similar between them, but it's like Vista was a Beta of Win7. They trimmed the fat and got rid of the annoying UAC (not completely gone, just not annoying as hell) and changed the taskbar to be more useful than it has ever been in windows with the live preview and pinning capabilities (fewer icons on the desktop and more in the taskbar just waiting to be launched).

My only thought is that WinXP SP3 is very performance sluggish compared to WinXP RTM or SP1 due to all the service packs released over the years. Win7 is only at SP1 at current. It may see it's life cut short if SP2 and SP3 degrade system performance at all.

I tried Win 8 Preview a few months ago with XP10 and it worked fine. No better or worse than with Win 7. However, I hated the ugly Metro UI and went back to WIn 7 64. I read now they are making it harder for people to disable the metro UI. There is really no good reason to use Win 8 on a Desktop, But if they force you to use the Metro UI, then there is a big reason not to use it. I wouldnt get Win 8 if it was free. I may take a stab at Linux someday, but I wont be buying win 8, thats for sure. Right now, Win 7 is working just fine.

Rob

I wouldn't have thought you'd see any considerable difference in X-Plane performance from Windows 7 to 8. I believe that one of the keys to it being cross platform compatible is that it has minimal if any dependencies within the operating system. Therefore OS upgrades add little to no benefit.

I tried Linux. It was a real pain in the bum. Getting drivers installed is a nightmare, and I could never get my soundcard to work. I switched back within days! Mac OS X is my favourite system to work with personally, though Macs are expensive.

Tom Wright

Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) | Intel Core i7 4770k @ 4.3GHz | 16GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM | GTX 1060 6GB | Samsung 860 EVO 500GB | Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Sidestick + Quadrant | Xbox Series S