hello all, i am sure that this questions has been answered before and i have tried to look up answers in the forum, the net, and the manual, but quite honestly i am a bit overloaded with info now and not sure what to do (deer in the headlights feeling). the other day i am flying from boston to nantucket, with weather conditions in nantucket showing zero visibility, fog, and rain. during approach, from 7000ft to about 2500ft, the weather conditions were exactly what i expected. then about 6mi out and below 2500ft, visibility suddenly opened and i had a clear view of the runway though conditions were overcast and rainy. about 2mi out and 1000ft or so, suddenly no visibility again like the metar said. so during that brief time, its like the weather "layer" wasnt correct. im sure there is something i can do in options but as i said, i am a bit overwhelmed to know what it is. btw, i am using ASE in FS9 with windows 7. thanks in advance.

Given that ASE is a weather engine ( I never used it) I can only assume that this is a limitation of FS9. What cloud textures are you using? I remember reading some time back the "fog" effect is dependent on the type of cloud texture being rendered e.g Cumulus but my memory is very vague as I moved to FSX ( and REX) a few years ago. Also, have you installed FSUIPC? It does a good job of smoothing transitions between layers.

BTW there is also a "fog" issue in FSX. For instance you can create IFR "fogged in" weather only to find yourself sitting in an aircraft on a beautiful (VFR) sunny day. Well, at least I have had that problem in the past.

where do i look for the cloud types? under cloud options i have cirrus cloud generation at 20, stratus at 0. maximum cloud layers at 20