Sign in to follow this  
wilax

Had a power outage... now I get the black screen of death a minute after resuming flight... WTH?

A few days ago, I was mid flight, and a breaker popped in my home shutting down my computer. This has happened before without event, but this time, ever since that outage, I keep getting the black screen of death when flying. I can start FS, load a flight, taxi out, takeoff, but while climbing, I get the screen and CTD.

Does anyone have any clues?

I have recently found that the black screen does not happen if I uncheck the commercial AI traffic. I remembered that I did just add the GW787 as ai for JAL and ANA, so I took them out of the flight plans, but I still get the black screen with AI enabled. I will continue testing.

Any corrupted files? Have you done a disk check? This might be the problem.

Best regards,
Luis Hernández 20px-Flag_of_Colombia.svg.png20px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png

Main rig: self built, AMD Ryzen 5 5600X with PBO enabled (but default settings, CO -15 mV, and SMT ON), 2x16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, Nvidia RTX3060 Ti 8GB, 256 GB M.2 SSD (OS+apps) + 2x1 TB SATA III SSD (sims) + 1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (storage), Viewsonic VX2458-MHD 1920x1080@120 Hz, Windows 10 Pro. Runing FSX-SE, MSFS and P3D v5.4 (with v4.5 default airports).

Mobile rig: ASUS Zenbook UM425QA (AMD Ryzen 7 5800H APU @3.2 GHz and boost disabled, 1 TB M.2 SSD, 16 GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro). Running FS9 there... sometimes on just battery! FSX-SE also installed, just in case. 

VKB Gladiator NXT Premium Left + GNX THQ as primary controllers. Xbox Series X|S wireless controller as standby/travel.

For texture probs get "Imagetool" and run the textures through,that worked for me! B)

Sounds like you have a bad AI texture and that is causing the problem.

No always, but mostly, if you have a BSOD it is hardware related. It sounds to me like perhaps the voltage spike may have damaged some internals.

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

If you were actaully "flying" at the moment of the power cut then it's more than likely that a file somewhere was corrupted. What a/c were you actually flying at the time, what FP, what AI was running, what scenery was open, what weather effects etc etc.

The only way is to reload each of those files plus anything else that was running behin your sim like FSUIPC for example.

If you were actaully "flying" at the moment of the power cut then it's more than likely that a file somewhere was corrupted. What a/c were you actually flying at the time, what FP, what AI was running, what scenery was open, what weather effects etc etc.

The only way is to reload each of those files plus anything else that was running behin your sim like FSUIPC for example.

Well I was flying an SGA DC10-30 Biman Bangladesh from Dhaka to Hong Kong. The power failure happened about 1 hour or less after takeoff. I have autosave so I rebooted and resumed flight. Upon approach to Hong Kong, descending thru FL250 or so, I got the BSOD. I reloaded FS, and a minute after that, the BSOD again. (repeated about 5 times). Finally I moved the plane off the course, and moved closer to HKG, and flight resumed without a prob until turning off the runway, BSOD again. I reloaded and taxi'd to the gate with no problem. That was days ago. Yesterday, I loaded a Cargolux 744 (posky) and attempted to fly to ORD. I taxi'd out, took off, and mid climb, around FL 250, BSOD.

After I posted about It, I reloaded FS via autosave, and kept getting the BSOD about a minute in every time. I got different error signatures every time. One was atc.dll, then I got, ntdll.dll, then today I tried and got ai-playr.dll.

Before the power failure, I had just updated JAL and added a scenery for Dhaka. Two weeks ago I had updated the voicepak with a big update pak which included Biman Bangladesh. I am about to undo all of that and see if anything changes.

No always, but mostly, if you have a BSOD it is hardware related. It sounds to me like perhaps the voltage spike may have damaged some internals.

I dont really think so, because Everything else seems to be working fine. FS even works if I keep the AI unchecked. Also, today, after running a reg cleaner (many errors), I loaded FS in the same place and it ran for several minutes until I opened the ATC window.... BSOD within seconds.... I really think this is AI related..

Then reinstall all your AI or at least the AI that were flying when you had the original power cut.

I dont really think so, because Everything else seems to be working fine. FS even works if I keep the AI unchecked. Also, today, after running a reg cleaner (many errors), I loaded FS in the same place and it ran for several minutes until I opened the ATC window.... BSOD within seconds.... I really think this is AI related..

Sure, fair enough. So if you believe it's software related and from what vololiberista has said, then have you tried a system restore, failing that an FSX repair from the installation disc?

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776