Sign in to follow this  
mabe54

Curiosity is on Mars!

I am looking forward to the discoveries that come out of this.

Matthew Kane

Absolutely fantastic! i have just seen the news a few moments ago. I have to say, after watching a Horizon special on BBC HD last night about the whole project, I was very sceptical about the landing procedure. it seemed fanciful at best, but hey, a really great outcome. I got quite emotional when I saw the news footage of NASA control when Curiosity touched down. I will be watching Horizon on BBC tonight as the story continues to unfold. Congratulations to all the guys who made this incredible adventure (so far) succeed.

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

I was sorry to have missed the landing. I would have watched it, but I was playing hockey (ice hockey, that is). Congratulations to NASA on a job very well done!

Joel Murray @ CYVR (actually, somewhere about halfway between CYNJ and CZBB) 

Yes, it's brilliant news. I can't begin to conceive of the effort involved.

Almost as big an achievement as a bloke running 100m in 9.63 seconds..... B)

A great triumph for NASA!!

Watched it live on NASA TV and man was it ever intense!

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

A whole planet without runways. Where is this going to end? :o

A whole planet without runways. Where is this going to end? :o

a hella lotta off site landings and neck-breaking bushflying.

TBA: Blorbx MARS red - bushflyers paradise!

ontopic curve: watched it live on several ustream videos. great times!

a hella lotta off site landings and neck-breaking bushflying.

TBA: Blorbx MARS red - bushflyers paradise!

ontopic curve: watched it live on several ustream videos. great times!

Of course the whole having to land at supersonic speeds thing adds to the challenge. Previous versions of X-Plane allowed you to fly on Mars, not sure if the current version still does.

for those who have google earth installed. you can switch to MARS and then start the basic built-in flight sim.

Of course the whole having to land at supersonic speeds thing adds to the challenge. Previous versions of X-Plane allowed you to fly on Mars, not sure if the current version still does.

supersonic bushflying!

for a bit of fun if you have google earth installed: you can select MARS and then start the basic built-in flight simulator. :)

Awesome ! , that was one tricky bit of flying to have been done by a computer, the safe landing at.6 mps an outstanding result , i am happy for science and for NASA , they added another very proud moment to a great many before.

for a bit of fun if you have google earth installed: you can select MARS and then start the basic built-in flight simulator. :)

I almost forgot about that option. Thanks for the HU! Public science at its best!