Sign in to follow this  
HaraldG

AES with Propliners

Hi to all,

I often read about Aerosofts AES - that really sounds well. But now i'm asking myself if AES works also with propliners like Calclassics DC-6/B or Manfred Jahns Connie series, and how it works. Possibly not every feature of AES works well with these planes (and certainly not every feature really makes sense with propliners, but this is another question and up to every flight captain... Maybe it's worth using for rainy or snowy runways alone). Has anybody experiences with this?

Thanks, Harald

Harald Geyer
   Gründer der Messerschmitt Freunde Dresden v. V.

lYI9iQV.jpg

Some aspects of AES, like followme, marshalling, pushback, boarding buses, centreline sounds or wet runway textures, will work great regardless of the aircraft type, so you can enjoy them. However AES still is not fully compatible with smaller aircraft (props, regionals) and freighters because of its standardized door configuration. When you want to load cargo, luggage or pax (via stairs), doors must be configured within some limits, and it doesn't work for some aircraft (eg. having very low doors, or cargo doors on the other side of the fuselage). That is planned to change in future but not yet now.

The best option for you to check how much you enjoy the current version of AES, would be to download and install the programme.

There are a lot of airports (I guess around 100!) where you can use AES for free (0 credits necessary), so you can easily check everything there.

Here is a list of supported airports and you can see where no credits (0) are required to operate AES: http://www.aerosoft....esairports.html

And here is the installer itself: http://www.aerosoft2...rvices_V223.zip

Thank you Rafal again,

will try it the next days with Tolmachevo UNNT or VSS Sochi or one of the zero-credit German Airports.

(With the help of this forum and particularly with your and some more very active members' help I developed my FS2004 within the last months, as I did not within the five years before. And yesterday I tried to overclock my new CPU with overwhelming result (I hope that it will work stable), so I got desire to try something new again.)

Quick research in the supported airports list:

- Unfortunately, all links to Nizhnevartovsk scenery (I simflew there not long ago) seem to be dead. That's a pity...

- And Yekaterinburg X isn't supported for AES? I'm shocked, indeed.

Greetings from Dresden!

Harald Geyer

lYI9iQV.jpg

- And Yekaterinburg X isn't supported for AES? I'm shocked, indeed.

Aerosoft's payware FS9 version will be supported in the next AES release due later this week. :rolleyes:

Thanks...

Then I should have tested if AES makes sense for me.

Harald Geyer

lYI9iQV.jpg

I tried it now and had minor inconveniences. According to Aerosoft's support forum, one of them will be corrected soon with version 2.24 (Strg+Shift+W not always working). Furthermore, I configured my aircraft at UNNT which is AES-supported; when starting FS2004 next time the aircraft configuration was gone and I had to do it new.

Follow-me car and rainy/snowy runways look good, but for the other functions there's probably some aircraft configuration work needed as the DC-6B has only one passenger door, which has already an animated airstair modelled within the .mdl file.

I have to consider if I will use AES further. Due to my special geographical interests, I own very few AES-supported airport add-ons. This may change, however, once all German Airport bundles (especially GA1) will be brought to 2012+ standard.

If I decide not to continue with AES, can I simply delete the files and use my backup of scenery.cfg? I found no entry in the Software list of WinXP...

Harald Geyer

lYI9iQV.jpg

What I do with prop aircraft and others that don't fit the profile for the doors for AES is to disable all the doors and hatches except the rear left hand side. I move the contact point out around level with the wing tip and slightly behind the aircraft. That way you don't have any loading/unloading but you get the buses coming to emplane and deplane the aircraft, pushback, refuelling truck etc. Not ideal but it's a good work around until Oliver can come up with some additional options. Works well for aircraft like the ATR etc

Hi Ian, that will be the ideal solution for me as I fly the propliner as private aircraft mostly without passengers. I only need some Avgas from time to time... and of course pushback at parking stands which have no possibility to "leave forward".

But at first I have to manage the problem of recognizing the aircraft at all without needing to configure it every time I start FS2004...

Harald Geyer

lYI9iQV.jpg

Hi Ian, that will be the ideal solution for me as I fly the propliner as private aircraft mostly without passengers. I only need some Avgas from time to time... and of course pushback at parking stands which have no possibility to "leave forward".

But at first I have to manage the problem of recognizing the aircraft at all without needing to configure it every time I start FS2004...

Hopefully you can get that resolved on the Aerosoft AES forum. Good luck with it - you will be pleased when you have it working right as it really does add another dimension of immersion to the sim

Thank you for your good wishes - they helped: When I started my FS2004 after arriving from my job, AES worked, my propliner was recognized immediately. It worked so fine at UNNT (and even at my old UUDD scenery) that I bought two credit packs. I disabled all doors and cargo bays, because I realized that the cargo bays of DC-6 are too low for the cargo vehicles. But I enjoy follow me, pushback, Avgas trucks.

Chasing the follow me in the DC-6:

Some impressive pieces of old metal there:

Harald Geyer

lYI9iQV.jpg

Hi, Harald!

I am happy you are enjoying AES now. Airports are not the same anymore, are they?

Also great Ian has given you some useful advice, being helpful like always.

If I decide not to continue with AES, can I simply delete the files and use my backup of scenery.cfg? I found no entry in the Software list of WinXP...

Sure, no problem. AES in not an uninstallable application (for security reasons).

You just remove it if you don't like it. It does not influence any other application.

I recommend using custom vehicle textures. Its library is growing and you can see it at the Aerosoft forums - check the 'Downloads' section on the upper menu bar.

Glad you got it to work mate. I have nice memories of travelling by RNZAF DC6 from Auckland to Singapore, way "back in the day." Much more comfortable than the C130 that replaced it! ^_^

FS2004 evolution.

Unfortunately I didn't have an opportunity to enjoy cruising with such a plane myself, maybe that's the reason I like to fly it so very much in my sim (as I especially enjoy the sounds)... Fortunately, the Lufthansa tradition plane Ju-52 is a regular guest at my "home" airport EDDC, and one day I will manage to catch a 30 min. roundtrip.

Some curiosity: In 2006, I was passenger in a 1979 built 737-200 from SCEL to SCTC and realized it only after deboarding...

Back to the topic, AES is a logic part of the FS2004 evolution that took place here within the last months - exactly the time since I got a regular visitor of this forum. There were so many helpful tips, either in threads by other members or when I posted a question myself.

- I use FS98 since 1998 (that was the beginning of flightsimming seriously instead of fooling around with FS4, and it was the beginning of my love to the DC-6)

- I used FS2000 not so long, perhaps from 2000 till 2001

- I used FS2002 from 2002 on till 2006 (!). Switched to Bf 109 and later to Mike Copleys P-38 temporarily. I like to fly their successor models on short trips still today.

- I started with FS2004 not earlier than 2007, and until 2011 upgrading the AI traffic and the worldwide scenery coverage (mostly with freeware) was my biggest aim. But it was not earlier than this spring, that I discovered the pleasure to be part of this great community. As soon as I looked at the forum regularly, my FS2004 evolution got a steep ascent. FS2004 with many sceneries, planes (see "My Simulator" entries), AI traffic was great. With FSHotSFX it got superb. With AES now it got overwhelming!

Now I will see how this evolution process continues... The problem of AES in my case is that I like to fly away from the main routes and the hubs in rather remote areas, and there aren't so many airports supported. Especially the ICAO codes starting with "U" are very rare on the support list of Aerosoft (I hope this gets better with v2.24)... However, I activated AES for SCEL first as Southern America will be the next destination for my virtual autumn/winter season - and of course I will visit SLLP with the DC6, too. In the meantime perhaps I will do a little trip in my Tu-134, which was the second plane I configured for AES yesterday.

So let me say "Thank you", Ian and Rafal, once again. It's a real pleasure to be part of such community from all over the world - apart of the effects it has on FS2004 evolution.

Harald Geyer

lYI9iQV.jpg

I recommend using custom vehicle textures. Its library is growing and you can see it at the Aerosoft forums - check the 'Downloads' section on the upper menu bar.

Even for UUDD. It gets better and better.

Harald Geyer

lYI9iQV.jpg

You are very welcome Harald. It's that same sense of belonging to an international community of people I respect that brings me back here every day

When it comes to airports that begin with "U" - two of the very best freeware sceneries ever released are UNNT 2012 and USNN - and both have AES support! Hopefully the list will soon grow to include UKBB!

Cheers

Ian